PDA

View Full Version : Router lifts QRL or PRL??

Bill Stoffels
05-15-2006, 7:47 AM
Could you tell me if you are using one of these, it seems that the Quick lift is faster at changing bits but is it as precise as the precision lift being .001 gradiations?

Chris Rosenberger
05-15-2006, 8:43 AM
I have a PRL. I have not used the QRL. I have an Eliminator chuck on my router. With this chuck I do not have to raise or lower the router in the lift to change bits. I just remove the insert & use a 5/32 L allen wrench for bit changes. Both lifts have the .001 gradiations. On the PRL the router support posts are on 2 sides of the router. On the QRL the posts are on one side of the router. To me it looks like the PRL would support the router better.

Larry Cooke
05-15-2006, 1:12 PM
Could you tell me if you are using one of these, it seems that the Quick lift is faster at changing bits but is it as precise as the precision lift being .001 gradiations?Bill,

The QRL has a 32 thread pitch lead screw, so the answer is yes (in fact if you choose the PRL with the 16 tpi then the QRL could be more precise technically speaking.)

I just spoke with Woodpecker (I too am getting ready to pull a trigger on one or the other) and asked point blank about the stability factor. Like Chris, I noticed how the posts are mounted and it appears that the PRL would be more stable and to a small degree Woodpecker agrees with this. However, the strength of either unit is very high so flexing shouldn't be an issue. They do suggest for high production shops to consider the PRL, if you're going to be swinging large/heavy bits on long production runs then the PRL would be a better choice.

I'm going to get a little long winded here so I apologize in advance, but I'm torn between the two for probably the same reasons as you. I want the ability to change bits quick and easy and have precise cuts.

One thing I'm considering is flexibility in terms of router choices. The PRL for the 7518 is highly adaptable, you can buy adapters for the most popular routers out there so you're less likely to have buy another lift, in fact the 7518 lift can cover all the routers that they make lifts for except for plunge routers of course.

While I was on the phone with Woodpecker I also asked if the adapter for the PC690 (listed under the PRL page) could be used with the 7518 QRL (QL-420) and they said yes it can be. I'm ordering the Dewalt 618 kit which works in the 690 adapter. This way when I if and when I get a 7518 it's a matter of dropping it in the lift for dedicated use.

I still haven't decided 100% yet, and something I have to think about is how often will I really be changing bits. I will say that I'm probably going to order the QRL. Quick bit/height changes are very appealing to be right now.

Hope this helps,

Larry