PDA

View Full Version : BS on Mobile Base ??

Tony Falotico
05-15-2006, 6:56 AM
I would really like to put my Jet 18" BS on a mobile base, but am concerned about stability. Will it be top heavy? Anybody have their larger BS on a mobile base, and how does it work out ?? If so, I'm looking at the Shop Fox from Grizzly (Super Heavy Duty G7315), any thoughts ??

Chris Rosenberger
05-15-2006, 8:50 AM
It should work ok. I have a mobile kit on my Mini Max 20" bandsaw.

Doyle Alley
05-15-2006, 9:05 AM
My BS is on a mobile base and it is actually more stable than without it. I used 1 1/2" metal tubing instead of wood. I made the base is a couple inches bigger than it needed to be. I bolted a piece of 3/4" plywood to the base and bolted the saw to the plywood. The extra weight of the metal tubing and plywood plus the larger footprint really improves the stability.

Jim Becker
05-15-2006, 9:06 AM
No problem with a mobile base on the machine. If you really want stable, the Vega base has no wheels on the floor when you are not moving the machine.

Bob Marino
05-15-2006, 9:08 AM
I would really like to put my Jet 18" BS on a mobile base, but am concerned about stability. Will it be top heavy? Anybody have their larger BS on a mobile base, and how does it work out ?? If so, I'm looking at the Shop Fox from Grizzly (Super Heavy Duty G7315), any thoughts ??

Tony,

That's the mobile base I have for my Agazanni 20" bs and it works very well - very stabile and fairly easy to move. The previous base was a Vega Machine Mover which I did not like at all - way too difficult to move the bs around.

Bob

JayStPeter
05-15-2006, 9:22 AM
I use that base on my G0513 17" bandsaw. While I would like a welded base made specifically for the saw, it works well. I had to put a spacer in the base so the lower door wouldn't hit the bolts on the base. I just cut a piece of 3/4" ply to fit before inserting the BS. There's no stability issues related to the base. My only problem with SF bases is they need a relatively clean floor. The stability comes from riding low, so they get hung up on sawdust/chips easier than some other bases. But, if Delta or HTC doesn't make a welded base the right size for your saw, I think the SF is the most stable of the adjustable bases.

Jay

Allen Bookout
05-15-2006, 10:58 AM
I agree with everyone. You would think that stability would be a problem but it does not seem to be. I suppose that the weight of the motor plus a substantial base takes care of the problem.

I built mine with welded angle iron and like Doyle I made it about four inches larger than it needed to be. Bolted on four double locking casters which work well. I like it better than the HTC because I can easily manuver it in a small amount of space. I also welded on some nuts and put threaded rod in them so that I could take the weight off of the wheels thereby making it more stable but have not found a need to use them.

Good excuse to buy a small welder!

Allen

Doug Shepard
05-15-2006, 11:19 AM
I followed Bruce Page's lead and put my MM16 on a Delta MB and it's been working out great. There's a size chart of their bases on this page
http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=139&p=2143 The pivot wheel seems to always be on the side of the first dimension in the chart.

Alan DuBoff
05-15-2006, 2:43 PM
I would really like to put my Jet 18" BS on a mobile base, but am concerned about stability. Will it be top heavy? Anybody have their larger BS on a mobile base, and how does it work out ?? If so, I'm looking at the Shop Fox from Grizzly (Super Heavy Duty G7315), any thoughts ??Tony, As you know I have the same saw, and I have mine on the heavy duty mobile base from Jet (HTC I think). I had to cut the cross member down as the width was narrower, but I wanted the ability to have the extra weight. The smaller one would probably work, but the Heavy Duty mobile base is what the Jet rep reccomended who was at Woodcraft when I had bought mine.

Works great!

Tony Falotico
05-15-2006, 7:30 PM
I have mine on the heavy duty mobile base from Jet (HTC I think). I had to cut the cross member down as the width was narrower

I bought the Jet mobile base when I bought the saw, and expected the Jet base to FIT the Jet saw........ Didn't feel right to start cutting on $135 base just to get it to fit right, so I brought it back for a refund. Just one of my weird quirks, when I buy matching items from the same manufacturer I expect them to fit without having to re-design, or at least be told before I buy that it needed to be modified.

Thanks all for the input, It's a toss up between the Vega and Shop Fox, right now I'm leaning towards the Shop Fox ............ but that's subject to change several times before I make a move :D

Jim Becker
05-15-2006, 7:32 PM
Tony, the base you got may have been for the OLD 18" Jet saw...

BTW, I use a Vega to move my 800 lb Stubby lathe in the rare instance I need to move it. I really like the simplicity.

Tony Falotico
05-15-2006, 7:41 PM
Who carries the Vega's, I've googled several phrases and can't seem to find one ? Amazon lists them but they (all Vega products) are listed "This item is currently not available."

Jim Becker
05-15-2006, 7:45 PM
Tony, go right to the horse's mouth to find out... http://www.vegawoodworking.com/

Bob Marino
05-15-2006, 8:33 PM
Tony, the base you got may have been for the OLD 18" Jet saw...

BTW, I use a Vega to move my 800 lb Stubby lathe in the rare instance I need to move it. I really like the simplicity.

Jim,

That's wild. My Agazanni is much less than 800 lbs. and I always had a very tough time moving the Vega MM in a straight line, let alone turning it:confused: :confused: :confused: .

Bob

Jim Becker
05-15-2006, 8:40 PM
No harder than backing up the tractor with a trailer on it! :D

Bob Marino
05-15-2006, 8:43 PM
No harder than backing up the tractor with a trailer on it! :D

I just had a hard time gettin' the thing to move - straight line or turns, while the SF moves way easier.

Bob

Alan DuBoff
05-15-2006, 8:55 PM
I bought the Jet mobile base when I bought the saw, and expected the Jet base to FIT the Jet saw........ Didn't feel right to start cutting on $135 base just to get it to fit right, so I brought it back for a refund. Just one of my weird quirks, when I buy matching items from the same manufacturer I expect them to fit without having to re-design, or at least be told before I buy that it needed to be modified. It would have fit had you bought the reccomended base from the catalog, it's the heavy-duty that is reccomended by the sales folks, and rightfully so, the 18X is marginally acceptable to use on the smaller base per weight. With that said, even though the Shop Fox and/or other cheaper HTC bases were cheaper, I wanted what I felt was a good base to have my bandsaw on. It was not hard to modify the cross members, I did it with a hack saw. I feel this is a much easier base to setup than the others like the ShopFox or other HTC bases. I just got a smaller base from Woodcraft recentely for a small jointer, it's much more difficult to setup, and the Jet base can be adjusted very easily.

Frank Pellow
05-15-2006, 9:12 PM
My ACM 400 bandsaw may or may not be considered big. It weights about 450 pounds and is about 6 feet high. I have it on a home made mobile base and there are no problems at all with stability.