PDA

View Full Version : Tape measures-Another Question??

Randy Meijer
05-15-2006, 4:52 AM
There are two active threads on tape measures right now and after reading through them I thought I would ask a questiion that hasn't really been addressed in either.

How do you go about checking the accuracy of a tape measure?? I imagine there are many ways to check; but some, presumably, are simpler than others.

Just for fun, I gathered up all of the tapes I could find and checked them by measuring a single premarked distance. I have everything from a 30 year old Craftsman 20' tape to 16' Wal-Mart Special. There were a total of 5 tapes checked and they ranged from 10 footers to 20 footers. I don't like big bulky tapes and don't have a need for them so the stable does not include a 30 footer. The distance was marked off from the edge of a desk to a line scribed on a piece of paper taped to the surface of the desk at the other edge. The distance was 54 and 5/16" and that is exactly what each tape measured ± the thickness of the marks which are about 1/100 ". Pretty darn good, think!! But I probably need to check them at 1' and 3' and 10' and 15' and 20' to be sure that those distances are accurate and how do I know that each 1 foot interval is divided into 12 equal 1" increments??

And how do I know that all of those tapes that say 54 and 5/16" are correct and are not really measuring 54 and 3/4"? I understand that if yoyu have 5 tapes that are all reading the same, you are probably OK; but what do you do if you only have 2 tapes and they don't agree.

Please correct my thinking if it is wrong. Seems to me that a tape measure is sort of like a roll-up story stick and it doesn't really matter much if the marked distances are correct or not provided you only use one tape on a project and that you don't do any math; but rather measure all distances, i.e. two measured distances of 5' may not equal a measured distance of 10'?

Thanks.

Steve Clardy
05-15-2006, 11:30 AM
I use a machinest 3' ruler to check mine.
Then bend the tab in, out, whatever it needs.

Dennis McDonaugh
05-15-2006, 2:54 PM
Please correct my thinking if it is wrong. Seems to me that a tape measure is sort of like a roll-up story stick and it doesn't really matter much if the marked distances are correct or not provided you only use one tape on a project and that you don't do any math; but rather measure all distances, i.e. two measured distances of 5' may not equal a measured distance of 10'?

Thanks.

That's my theory Randy. Even if you're a carpenter and are matching new work to existing work you are okay as long as you take the measurements with the same tape.

tod evans
05-15-2006, 3:01 PM
randy, the technology used to manufacture tape measures has proven to be plenty accurate for me, it`s wood afterall, and i make far more errors than i can blame a tape measure for....02 tod

Dennis Peacock
05-15-2006, 3:35 PM
randy, the technology used to manufacture tape measures has proven to be plenty accurate for me, it`s wood afterall, and i make far more errors than i can blame a tape measure for....02 tod

LOL!!! and Ouch!!!!!! Been there and still do that as well here Tod. :o ;)

My rule? Start with one tape measure and use that SAME tape for the entire project.:D

Mark Singer
05-15-2006, 3:43 PM
Tod,
Can you post some of your errors so I my screw-ups won't be lonely:confused:

tod evans
05-15-2006, 3:45 PM
Tod,
Can you post some of your errors so I my screw-ups won't be lonely:confused:

mark, do you really want to see a picture of my dumpster?

Steve Clardy
05-15-2006, 3:58 PM
mark, do you really want to see a picture of my dumpster?

Tod's place might be a good place for some diving:rolleyes: ;) :D

Randy Moore
05-16-2006, 7:24 PM
Tod

Post the pic of the dumpster and I will be down in a couple weeks to clean out most everything 'cept the sawdust.:eek: :rolleyes: :D :)
One mans junk/trash is anothers treasure!!!!

Randy

Doug Shepard
05-16-2006, 8:35 PM
How do you go about checking the accuracy of a tape measure?? I imagine there are many ways to check; but some, presumably, are simpler than others.

I usually just measure from my elbow to the end of my hand. If that dont line up with the One Cubit mark on the tape I get a refund.:D

Or I just dont worry too much about it and just make sure to use the same tape for everything longer than my steel rulers.

tod evans
05-17-2006, 10:38 AM
Tod

Post the pic of the dumpster and I will be down in a couple weeks to clean out most everything 'cept the sawdust.:eek: :rolleyes: :D :)
One mans junk/trash is anothers treasure!!!!

Randy

randy, there`s slim pickins, they tip it on thurs. so this is almost a weeks worth. most of what i pitch can`t really be used....02 tod

Bob Noles
05-17-2006, 12:41 PM
Now tod....

I see a piece or 2 that might still have some purpose and just look at all that flower bed mulch my wife would love to get hold of. :)

I think you are wrong...... just WRONG :D :D We are coming dumpster diving anyhow! :p

tod evans
05-17-2006, 1:53 PM
Now tod....

I see a piece or 2 that might still have some purpose and just look at all that flower bed mulch my wife would love to get hold of. :)

I think you are wrong...... just WRONG :D :D We are coming dumpster diving anyhow! :p

feel free! if i get enough divers i can save the trash bill every month:)

Vaughn McMillan
05-17-2006, 5:12 PM
Bob? Is that you?

- Vaughn

Steve Clardy
05-17-2006, 5:14 PM
Bob? Is that you?

- Vaughn

Boy. Bob sure made a fast trip to Tod's:eek:

Guess He heard tod saying it was to be dumped out??;) :D

Bob Noles
05-17-2006, 5:24 PM