PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to Rustoleum Epoxy Sheild ?

Doug Shepard
05-14-2006, 8:06 PM
I'm gettting ready to take the plunge and paint the shop (garage) floor with epoxy paint. There have been lots of posts here about the Rustoleum Epoxy Shield and it sounds like great stuff. I've been doing a bit of checking on their site and if I go that route I'll end up using the solvent based type in the Silver-Gray color as it's the lightest color of theirs I can find - at least of the ones sold to the general public. Their water-based versions sold to the general public only seem to come in a darker gray and a darker tan color. However - I'd really like to put down a white epoxy paint to brighten up the dungeon. Does anyone have any recommendations of other epoxy garage floor paint brands that sell a white (semi-gloss). Just trying to see what other alternatives might be out there.

Thanks

Ken Garlock
05-14-2006, 8:42 PM
Doug, swing by your local Sherwin Williams store and get some info on their "Tile Clad II" epoxy floor paint. I have it on the shop floor, the 3 car garage at the house, and the 2 car garage behind the shop. I have seen from experience that the cement will chip away before the paint comes off.:eek:

It is not a cheap as the Rustoleum product. Tile Clad comes in two 1 gallon buckets that you mix 1 to 1, and those two gallons will cost around $80. That makes it around $40 a gallon, which is the price of good paint. :)

Tile Clad comes in about 50 different colors that are mixed on the spot when you buy. Get one of the Tile Clad color pallets, and pick you color.:cool:

We had ours installed as part of the painting of the house, garage, and shop when we built. The only thing against it is that it smells like a musk ox that you found in September after it died in July....

Vaughn McMillan
05-15-2006, 12:44 AM
...The only thing against it is that it smells like a musk ox that you found in September after it died in July....
Wow Ken, that really paints quite the picture, but it begs the question...how do you know what a two-month-dead musk ox smells like? :eek: :p :D

I'll have to remember about the S-W epoxy floor paint, though. I've got the Rustoleum version in the laundry room and really like it, but in the future I may have a need for more painted floors, and having more color choices would be an advantage. Thanks.

- Vaughn

Kyle Kraft
05-15-2006, 9:13 AM
I have used Pittsburgh Aquapon water based 2 part epoxy at a previous job on our compressor room floor. I regrettably was talked out of using it on my shop floor and if I could go back in time I would have chosen the Aquapon. It too is about $40/gal.

Kyle in K'zoo

Ken Garlock
05-15-2006, 10:36 AM
HI Vaughn, at the time that was about the smell thing I could think of :rolleyes: The good thing is that the paint smell goes away in about 3 days. I will bet the musk ox lingers a lot longer.:eek:

There is a country/western song about a dead skunk in the middle of the road, that smell would be a close second.

But I must admit that I have never smelled a dead musk ox, and I hope I never will.:)

Doug Shepard
05-15-2006, 10:38 AM
Thanks Ken
I'll gvie SW a call. Actually from the little bit of prices I've seen listed for the EpoxyShield on the web, the costs don't look all that different. I'd rather spend a bit more and get a brighter color though.

...The only thing against it is that it smells like a musk ox that you found in September after it died in July....
My dog has been dropping and rolling in all kinds of stinky stuff lately. If I can put up with her, I can handle anything. She's headed for the groomers this weekend.