PDA

View Full Version : My list - a fun choice.......

John Kain
05-14-2006, 4:44 PM
So, with father's day coming up next month, my wife asked what I wanted.........

I gave her some suggestions and she said pick one........

So, here's what I gave her, and yes, I could really use any of these:

Porter Cable 4212 dovetail jig, or
(2) Jet 50" clamps, or
Veritas dowelling jig

I really need another router as I can't stand taking my M12V out of the table. Porter Cable 890 series with the plunge/fixed base assemblies would be nice, but $250 is a bit much for us.........

Any of these really tip your noggin?

(EDIT: I guess this is why we should make mother's day special. She's already asking what I want for father's day........ON MOTHER'S DAY!)

Steve Ash
05-14-2006, 4:52 PM
John,
I'm just asking my wife for a whole weekend of shop time.......:D or a fishing weekend with her and my sons.:cool:

John Kain
05-14-2006, 5:01 PM
John,
I'm just asking my wife for a whole weekend of shop time.......:D or a fishing weekend with her and my sons.:cool:

That's asking too much for me!

I think it's easier for her to save up some money and buy something then to let me hit the garage for an entire weekend........

Steve Ash
05-14-2006, 5:04 PM
Well then, ask for the clamps...they say you can never have enough.:cool:

John Kain
05-14-2006, 5:16 PM
I guess I'll throw this in as well since it's not worth starting a new thread for....

My son just got his first Thomas the train set; anyone build a table for model trains or kids trains? I'd love to see some ideas.........

Larry Cooke
05-14-2006, 6:15 PM
My son just got his first Thomas the train set; anyone build a table for model trains or kids trains? I'd love to see some ideas.........John,

First off, I'd go with the clamps too. Always need more of them right?

Here's a couple of links for some train tables I found here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22012&highlight=train+table

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=35198&highlight=train+table

Larry

John Kain
05-14-2006, 7:09 PM
So in keeping with the Thomas the train table, I made a couple straight tracks from yellow pine. I used an spiral router bit for the first time.........I can't believe how wonderful they work. With my new router table (dust collection) I have no clean up whatsoever. Now, how can I make the connection bulbs? LOL!

Frank Pellow
05-14-2006, 8:49 PM
So, with father's day coming up next month, my wife asked what I wanted.........

So, here's what I gave her, and yes, I could really use any of these:

Porter Cable 4212 dovetail jig, or
(2) Jet 50" clamps, or
Veritas dowelling jig

I really need another router as I can't stand taking my M12V out of the table. Porter Cable 890 series with the plunge/fixed base assemblies would be nice, but $250 is a bit much for us.........

Any of these really tip your noggin?

(EDIT: I guess this is why we should make mother's day special. She's already asking what I want for father's day........ON MOTHER'S DAY!)
Sorry to put a damper on this but why would your wife give yyou anything for father's day. :confused: Only children, or maybe grandchilren, should be doing that.

John Kain
05-14-2006, 9:06 PM
Sorry to put a damper on this but why would your wife give yyou anything for father's day. :confused: Only children, or maybe grandchilren, should be doing that.
Well, maybe you all do things different in Canada, but here in Georgia, our mothers and fathers thank each other for the countless hours of work we put into our children........

Ted Jay
05-14-2006, 10:23 PM
So in keeping with the Thomas the train table, I made a couple straight tracks from yellow pine. I used an spiral router bit for the first time.........I can't believe how wonderful they work. With my new router table (dust collection) I have no clean up whatsoever. Now, how can I make the connection bulbs? LOL!
here's another example of a table:
http://froogle.google.com/froogle_cluster?q=Thomas+the+train+mat&pid=4885492051869843031&oid=10648777619853108908&btnG=Search+Froogle&scoring=mrd&hl=en

Michael Cody
05-14-2006, 11:25 PM

48 hours of silence ... take the kids, the dogs, the cat, cash or check and go somewhere fun for the weekend.. it's all I every ask for, I can do the rest.

Never got it in 24 years though .. but I can hope right?

Keith Christopher
05-15-2006, 12:11 AM
If you're doing much doweling and need a jig, go with one of these. OH SO SO nice! worth every cent if you're doweling alot.

http://www.dowelmax.com/

For a review of it:

http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/dowelmax.htm

Steve Ash
05-15-2006, 8:26 AM
Well, maybe you all do things different in Canada, but here in Georgia, our mothers and fathers thank each other for the countless hours of work we put into our children........

Same here...

John, maybe you could ask her to get you a gift certificate and make up your mind when the time is appropriate for what you need.

tod evans
05-15-2006, 8:49 AM
john, gift or not i`d stay away from the new 800 series p/c routers, the 690 series,78 series and the ol` 310`s are the best built in the industry in my opinion. but the new 890 was designed by a cost driven desk jockey and is not worthy of flying the p/c colors.....02 tod

Brad Townsend
05-15-2006, 8:58 AM
When I saw this part of your post, alarm bells went off. Just one person's opinion, but when you DO have the funding, you can do better than the PC890. I have both the 890 and the DeWalt 618 and the 618 is a much better system, and slightly cheaper. Compared to the DeWalt, the plunge base on the PC is really sad (again, my opinion). Others have said very positive things about the Bosch system as well.

John Headley
05-15-2006, 9:21 AM

Already know what I'm getting for father's day, I and can't wait to start. My 11yr old son wants to make me a wooden hand plane. He attended a plane making class for young woodworkers at the Woodcraft in Richmond, Va. a couple of weeks ago. I was able to sit in the class and watch him work. At the end of the class he left with a walnut and cherry plane he made himself.

He has now designed one for me and is anxious to start. I wouldn't let him start until he finished the box he was making for Mother's day (will post pics tonight). My job is to mill the wood, and he will take care of the rest. I'm really looking forward to working on another project with him. His design consist of an Ipe sole, white oak for the center and ambrosia maple for the sides.

Ken Styer
05-15-2006, 11:33 PM
I'm pretty much a 'Nick the new guy' around here but I thought this post might be appropriate. My dear sweet bride - well, she was my bride almost 41 years ago - showed me my Rockler catalog and asked me which 'brand' I wanted. It's one of those branding irons you that you can use to imprint your name on a project that you completed for somebody. She thought that this would be a nice combination birthday/father's day gift for me. In spite of all the sawdust I drag into the house, she still cares.

chester stidham
05-16-2006, 3:16 AM
I would get the tool you need the most or is the hardest to do with out :eek: