PDA

View Full Version : Sealing outdoor granite

Tom Cullen
05-14-2006, 4:25 PM
Hi everyone,
Quick question , what would be the best substance to use to seal an outdoor memorial engraved in granite? I have used various brands in the past but they seem to dull down the engraving a lot. I was looking for something to protect against the elements and still retain that just engraved look.

Thanks to all in advance.

mike wallis
05-15-2006, 2:05 PM
Hi Tom, I've had the same issue with sealing Granite. I've been meaning to try a sealant with a brightner. When I get around to trying it I'll let you know how it works out.

Mike

Joe Pelonio
05-15-2006, 2:16 PM
I've always thought that Mom Nature did a pretty good job of protecting granite and don't use anything on it. What problems have you seen or do you anticipate? It should be able to handle pressure washing if it gets dirty, or moss get's on it. If the engraving is paint filled then I'd suggest
Lithco Clear from Lithichrome just on the painted part. I haven't done many headstones but use granite more for memorials placed with planted trees that are flat or at an angle on the gound.

http://www.lithichrome.com/lithichrome.cfm

Tom Cullen
05-15-2006, 3:52 PM
Thanks Mike and Joe ,
I really pretty much just use marble but recently been getting into more granite and heard that you must seal the exposed areas with a sealer. Now I'm not sure if this is the case or not but as mentioned before it turns the tile pretty dark and when it is dry it dosen't seem to recover that just off the table look. Maybe you are right Joe, in that you don't need to use it on granite? I just thought that the elements would be a factor. Keep me posted Mike with your experiment.

Thanks Guy's
Tom

Lorene Fangman
05-17-2006, 3:17 PM
Thanks Mike and Joe ,
I really pretty much just use marble but recently been getting into more granite and heard that you must seal the exposed areas with a sealer. Now I'm not sure if this is the case or not but as mentioned before it turns the tile pretty dark and when it is dry it dosen't seem to recover that just off the table look. Maybe you are right Joe, in that you don't need to use it on granite? I just thought that the elements would be a factor. Keep me posted Mike with your experiment.

Thanks Guy's
Tom

Hi guys! I am new to the forum and have found lots of useful information. I run an L10 Laser Master 48x96 table by CamTech Industries. I have been learning it for about a year now, new things pop up all the time :), I started out by painting the tiles and then got recruited to design and learn the laser and programs, which is where I am now. Back to the question of sealer. We were told use the Sealer's Choice 15 Gold. It says it will last up to 15 years, maintains the natural look of stone and porous tile and excellent grout sealer. I just follow the directions on the back. I have not noticed significant change in color that would take away from the look of the stone and etching, I also use it to seal painted tiles. Hope I helped you, if you have anymore questions feel free to e-mail me. Thanks!

Lorene Fangman :)