PDA

View Full Version : Anybody seen Noah???

John Miliunas
05-14-2006, 2:35 PM
I have it on pretty good authority that Noah is my man for this problem. You see, it's been raining here for 'bout the last 4 days and the 5-day outlook is calling for more of the same. I figure I've got about 31 more days to take affirmative action but, that time is running out rapidly. Besides never having built a boat of any sort before, I can't even find plans for an Ark :( so, I figured my best bet is to go the source! :) I will, of course, need to modify it, so that instead of two of each animal, it needs to be able and carry a full shop of tools, one computer, the TV, a PS2 game console and I somehow need to rig up the Dish Network dish, so that the LOML doesn't miss Martha! :rolleyes: Yeah...I know; Need to find a good generator, too. Anyhow, if anyone should run across Noah, you wanna' send him my way, please? Thanks! :D :cool:

Tyler Howell
05-14-2006, 2:42 PM
The units of measure are cubits and furlongs per forthnight.
But my man Noah only took the really good people John.
I'm afraid you should practice treading water:rolleyes: .

Greg Heppeard
05-14-2006, 2:48 PM
Has anyone ever turned an Ark?

Chris Rosenberger
05-14-2006, 2:56 PM
I thought I saw one at the House on the Rock.

John Miliunas
05-14-2006, 3:00 PM
I thought I saw one at the House on the Rock.

Hey, now there's an idea! Although, I'm thinking it may have been a cutaway, making it kinda' hard to stay afloat! :o :D :cool:

Jim Becker
05-14-2006, 3:24 PM
PLEASE keep that rain! It's keeping my tree folks from getting their crane on the property to remove the trees down by the road so I can move on with my driveway project (http://toscax.us/blog/addition.htm). 'Had to cancel Friday due to the heavy rain the night before and I'm already worried that Tuesday isn't going to happen. Or does anyone have a big tent that can cover a few acres without poles for support... :(

Chris Rosenberger
05-14-2006, 3:27 PM
You may be right John. We were there several years ago. My wife & kids still talk about that place. I hear that it is a big resort area now.

John Miliunas
05-14-2006, 3:34 PM
You may be right John. We were there several years ago. My wife & kids still talk about that place. I hear that it is a big resort area now.

Crazy as it sounds, it's been years since I've physically been inside, although we live just about 20 minutes from there! :o But, we have been through it numerous times before and each time, it never fails to amaze us. I remember going through there for the x-time and discovering something "new", even though it had been there since Day-1! I'm not sure about today but, I know several years ago, it was in the top 10 attractions in the US. And yes, quite a few hotels/motels in the area, as well as a pro golf course and home to many Frank Loyd Wright enthusiasts. :) :cool:

Lee DeRaud
05-14-2006, 3:34 PM
...so that the LOML doesn't miss Martha! :rolleyes:A couple clicks of extra windage usually solves that problem.:cool:

Lee DeRaud
05-14-2006, 3:44 PM
...and home to many Frank Loyd Wright enthusiasts. :) :cool:The truly hardcore FLW enthusiasts tend to cluster near "The Mother Ship" in Wauwatosa...probably waiting for a ride home.
http://www.wrightinwisconsin.org/WisconsinSites/Annunciation/Default.asp
(cue theme from "Close Encounters")

John Miliunas
05-14-2006, 3:56 PM
The truly hardcore FLW enthusiasts tend to cluster near "The Mother Ship" in Wauwatosa...probably waiting for a ride home.

Yeah, well it's not far from where it was most probably designed:
http://www.taliesinpreservation.org/

The school at Taliesin is really neat to go through. They still have working students learning and carrying on the FWL traditions there! :) :cool:

Scott Donley
05-14-2006, 4:23 PM
I'm afraid you should practice treading water:rolleyes: .:D :D :D :D :D :D

Frank Chaffee
05-14-2006, 4:38 PM
A couple clicks of extra windage usually solves that problem.:cool:

The truly hardcore FLW enthusiasts tend to cluster near "The Mother Ship" in Wauwatosa...probably waiting for a ride home.
Lee,
I think I hear your mother calling.;) :D :D :D

Just kidding.

Frank

Bruce Page
05-14-2006, 6:04 PM
John, I've been looking for Noah myself. Feel free to send the rain over this way, we're waaaay behind for this time of the year!

When I retire, we're movin to some place that has water!!

Jason Roehl
05-14-2006, 9:17 PM
DING! "NOAH!"

"Let me give you a hint: how long can you tread water? Ha ha ha ha ha!"

Dang, now I'm going to have to try to find that and listen to it again--if I even still have a working tape deck somewhere...

John Kain
05-14-2006, 9:21 PM
I'm ready..........

I made this a few months ago. Me and my trolling motor probably won't go too far after a couple hours.

But it really works well in Georgia swamps (except for the occasional Water Moccassin entrance.............)

Can an 8' boat make the "big rain"?

Matt Meiser
05-14-2006, 9:23 PM
I know what you mean John. We took advantage of a brief break in the rain to plant some perennials by my shop this morning. When I was installing the edging. When I was turning over the dirt, I had a hole about one spade's lenght deep that was actually filling with ground water. On the plus side, my newly cleared and seeded side yard has grass coming up and I can see that my drainage is working well enough. There are some large areas with 1" or so of standing water, but after 4-5 days of rain I can't complain about that.

John Miliunas
05-14-2006, 9:28 PM
I'm ready..........

I made this a few months ago. Me and my trolling motor probably won't go too far after a couple hours.

But it really works well in Georgia swamps (except for the occasional Water Moccassin entrance.............)

Can an 8' boat make the "big rain"?

Oh, that's just dandy, John! I could probably fit some of my hand tools in there, my own fat carcass and my daughter isn't that big but, the LOML might be a bit upset! :eek: :D :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
05-14-2006, 9:31 PM
John...........drowning might be more merciful than upsetting the LOYL like that!

John Miliunas
05-14-2006, 9:40 PM
John...........drowning might be more merciful than upsetting the LOYL like that!

No kidding! She just doesn't have a sense of humor that way! :D :cool:

Dave Richards
05-14-2006, 9:56 PM
John, when I was building the sailboat, the neighbors called me Noah and teased me about where I was going to put all the animals. They quit teasing me about that when I asked them what happened to all those people who laughed at Noah for building the ark. :D

We've been getting the rain here and a lot of wind. Not quite enough rain to float the boat off the trailer but enough that it's been too wet to mow and too windy to get the boat rigged and the sails bent on the spars. If it doesn't dry out soon I'm not going to be able to find the boat due to the tall grass.

Ah well, come August we'll be wishing for rain.

John Kain, that looks like a fun little boat. :D

John Miliunas
05-14-2006, 10:06 PM
the neighbors called me Noah and teased me about where I was going to put all the animals.

Ok Dave, (errrrrr Noah) now quit teasing me! You got the plans or not??? :confused: Time's awaistin'!!! :D :cool:

Dave Richards
05-14-2006, 10:12 PM
John, I've got the plans for you. You'd better get a load of gopher wood in so it can start acclimating to your shop. :D

How long until that creek behind your house leaves its banks? :eek:

Bart Leetch
05-14-2006, 11:37 PM
Only parts of the globe will be under water at one time.

Tyler Howell
05-15-2006, 8:52 AM
DING! "NOAH!"

"Let me give you a hint: how long can you tread water? Ha ha ha ha ha!"

Dang, now I'm going to have to try to find that and listen to it again--if I even still have a working tape deck somewhere...

I've only have it on LP a classic. I first saw it and him on the Jack Parr show. Dating myself:D

Steve Ash
05-15-2006, 9:20 AM
John, I've been looking for Noah myself. Feel free to send the rain over this way, we're waaaay behind for this time of the year!

When I retire, we're movin to some place that has water!!

I have more than I need right now....my corn field is starting to look like a lake.

Jim Becker
05-15-2006, 9:42 AM
New England's been getting whacked with water. And it's raining here again today...I think I'll be hosed for the tree folks again tomorrow. Rats!

Dave Anderson NH
05-15-2006, 10:02 AM
Since Friday nite we've had over 11" of rain. Governor declared a state of emergency and lots of roads have been washed out and submerged. The Merrimac River is supposed to crest tonite or tomorrow at 10 feet above flood stage. Fortunately I live on the top of a hill and had one measly little puddle in the basement where the sill gasket on my bulkhead door leaked. My son, who lives in Mass, has a flooded basement about a foot deep. I'm at work now and we had fully half of our staff call in either unable to get to work because of road closings or decidding to stay home because of flooded basements.

The forecast is for more rain thru tomorrow with a day break and then more through the end of the week.

John Miliunas
05-15-2006, 10:05 AM
Since Friday nite we've had over 11" of rain. Governor declared a state of emergency and lots of roads have been washed out and submerged. The Merrimac River is supposed to crest tonite or tomorrow at 10 feet above flood stage. Fortunately I live on the top of a hill and had one measly little puddle in the basement where the sill gasket on my bulkhead door leaked. My son, who lives in Mass, has a flooded basement about a foot deep. I'm at work now and we had fully half of our staff call in either unable to get to work because of road closings or decidding to stay home because of flooded basements.

The forecast is for more rain thru tomorrow with a day break and then more through the end of the week.

Yikes!!!:eek: Guess I don't feel quite so bad now! Let's hope for the best all around! :) :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
05-15-2006, 10:07 AM
We could sure use some of that out here in the winter. We've had drought conditions for 8 out of the last 9 years. We have 2 water systems. Treated and untreated. We've been rationing our untreated systems we use for watering our lawns. The snow levels have been so low that the reservoirs in the mountains weren't full.....

Mark Pruitt
05-15-2006, 2:30 PM
Besides never having built a boat of any sort before, I can't even find plans for an Ark
John, just remember......amateurs built the Ark; professionals built the Titanic.;)

Vaughn McMillan
05-15-2006, 6:44 PM
Dating myself:D I used to do that too...now I date a woman instead. :p

[Ducking and running for cover, before I get whomped upside the head with a thong.]

- Vaughn

Tyler Howell
05-15-2006, 6:48 PM
I used to do that too...now I date a woman instead. :p

[Ducking and running for cover, before I get whomped upside the head with a thong.]

- Vaughn
You can run but you can't hide:D

Jim Becker
05-15-2006, 8:00 PM
Still raining, but not pooling at least. The tree company says they are showing up tomorrow...bright and early. (As the thunder is shaking the house...)

And I'm ignoring that last exchange, Vaughn and Tyler... ;)

John Miliunas
05-15-2006, 9:55 PM
Still raining, but not pooling at least. The tree company says they are showing up tomorrow...bright and early. (As the thunder is shaking the house...)

And I'm ignoring that last exchange, Vaughn and Tyler... ;)

Well, Jim, I wish you the best of luck with that! Yeah, we're still getting rained on, as well, though it's not a real hard rain and we have periods of some breaking clouds. I think when this is over, I'll pass on the Ark but, probably will need to invest in a couple goats to take care of all the grass! At this rate, it'll be knee-deep by the weekend! :eek:

As for Vaughn & Tyler....This is John....In Packerland....Looking down....Shaking his head! :D :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
05-15-2006, 10:00 PM
I'd look down and shake my head but my neck is currently in a brace......:rolleyes: :D

Dale Thompson
05-15-2006, 11:08 PM
Hey Spring,
Build it 40 cubits long and 30 cubits high! Bring on the animals two by two but refuse entry to ALL Norwegians! :cool: I will assume responsibilty for all of your tools. :) Fear ye not for their safety! :)

If all else fails, flee to the House on the Rock and watch the flood consume all of us who are unredeemed. :)

Whatever, quit WHINING! We haven't seen the sun in Peshtigo for at least six months. :( In addition, the rain has messed up all of my RC activity. My sailboat runs on wind - not drizzle! :mad: The electronics on my Monster Trucks are not compastible with wet grass and my planes disappear into the low-hanging mist of this miserable weather system! :mad:

Whatever, as I said, quit whinin' and start nailin'!! :cool: :) :D

Dale T.

Frank Chaffee
05-15-2006, 11:33 PM
Hey John,
Build that ark on Percussion Rock Road with a line lashed to the tip of the Infinity Room. As the waters rise and float the ark, we can board from there.
Frank

Vaughn McMillan
05-16-2006, 4:38 AM
Dale, sounds like you need you one of them RC submarines. :p

- Vaughn

Jason Roehl
05-16-2006, 6:49 AM
Ooooh...Frank...I've been THERE! It's been a number of years, but that is the ultimate "room with a view".

Folks, if you get a chance to stop in WI, visit "The House on the Rock"!

Dave Richards
05-16-2006, 8:00 AM
John, if you don't mind a displacement hull, I think we could simply jack up your shop, lock, stock and barrel and fit a bunch of 55 gallon drums underneath.

If, on the other hand, you desire a planing hull (it is a woodworking shop after all), we'll need to come up with something different.

John Miliunas
05-16-2006, 8:27 AM
John, if you don't mind a displacement hull, I think we could simply jack up your shop, lock, stock and barrel and fit a bunch of 55 gallon drums underneath.

If, on the other hand, you desire a planing hull (it is a woodworking shop after all), we'll need to come up with something different.

Dave, I'm all about speed! We best figure something with a planing hull. Pesh said he'd take care of my tools so, let's rock 'n roll! :D :cool:

Dave Richards
05-16-2006, 8:58 AM
Alright, let me see what I can find that would be appropriate. What do you want to use for power? Since you won't need to haul your tools, how big? Just for you and LOYL? And since Pesh said he'd take care of your tools, does that mean he'll transport them? :D

I'm thinking a couple of marinized Cat diesels ought to be good. Or do you want a couple of marinized Chevy Small Blocks?

John Miliunas
05-16-2006, 9:06 AM
Alright, let me see what I can find that would be appropriate. What do you want to use for power? Since you won't need to haul your tools, how big? Just for you and LOYL? And since Pesh said he'd take care of your tools, does that mean he'll transport them? :D

I'm thinking a couple of marinized Cat diesels ought to be good. Or do you want a couple of marinized Chevy Small Blocks?

"Small Block" Chevy???? Naw...Couple 427's is more like it! Blown and injected! :D

Pesh can worry about the transportation of the tools but, we can't forget about Casey, the TV and her video games! Hmmmm....Maybe the Chevy's and then a single utility diesel for a generator??? :) I still need to talk to my satellite guru buddy to see how we can accomplish tracking for my Direcway dish, so I can keep up on the Creek, too!!! :D :cool:

Dave Richards
05-16-2006, 9:29 AM
So I suppose this wouldn't be fast enough?
http://www.allfunnypictures.com/images/yacht.jpg

And this would be too small?
http://www.tcnj.edu/~hofmann/Humor/Misc/Redneck/redneck16.jpg

John Miliunas
05-16-2006, 9:33 AM
So I suppose this wouldn't be fast enough?
http://www.allfunnypictures.com/images/yacht.jpg

And this would be too small?
http://www.tcnj.edu/~hofmann/Humor/Misc/Redneck/redneck16.jpg

Can't see the first pic, but yeah, the second one is definitely too small and just "slightly" underpowered! Now I know you can do better than that, Dave!!!:D :cool:

Dave Richards
05-16-2006, 9:39 AM
I'll keep working on it. Here's another try at the first one.
http://www.santeecoopercats.net/images/redneck_yacht.jpg

John Miliunas
05-16-2006, 9:46 AM
I'll keep working on it. Here's another try at the first one.
http://www.santeecoopercats.net/images/redneck_yacht.jpg

Yeah, I'm thinkin' that, just maybe, it might be a bit on the slow side! :rolleyes: :D :cool:

Karl Laustrup
05-16-2006, 10:57 AM
Spring, I think you want the Chevy 572. :cool: Cant remember the HP, but it was well over 600. :cool:

Use two 1000 gallon pontoons filled with gas. That should get you at least 500 miles. :eek: :D

Karl

Jerry Olexa
05-16-2006, 5:46 PM
John, better load up that ark with a lot of Cheese as well as Packer reading material. And now that Bret's back, he should be invited aboard (if you could get two of him) as an honorary helsman..:D

John Miliunas
05-16-2006, 6:04 PM
John, better load up that ark with a lot of Cheese as well as Packer reading material. And now that Bret's back, he should be invited aboard (if you could get two of him) as an honorary helsman..:D

Aw heck, if I get him on board, I'll plant him on the Deere! I mean, wherever we land, I'm sure it'll need grass cuttin' and he's right ta home on a lawn mower!!! :D :cool: