PDA

View Full Version : caught in the act

harry strasil
05-14-2006, 11:18 AM
webmaster over on traditional tools posted this the other day, he was sneaking pics at a galoot fest in Topeka.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/shootboard2.jpg

Steve Wargo
05-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Absolutely ingenious. Gotta make one of those. Great idea.

Mark Stutz
05-14-2006, 1:05 PM
Harry,
I love that period watch!:D ;)

Just couldn't resist.;) :o :D

Mark

Jim Becker
05-14-2006, 1:27 PM
Great shot, Harry! The motion is wonderful and it does away with the "posed" effect that most photos like this have. I like the wedged support idea on the jig, too...neat!

Alan DuBoff
05-14-2006, 2:13 PM
Very nice to have the adjustment on there. I need to make a new hook, thanks for posting this before I go. My old one is just a simple hook, but I like that angle adjuster...very nice.

harry strasil
05-14-2006, 2:30 PM
took me awhile on that post Alan, being from the sticks, if you are referring to a bench hook, it's not one, it's an adjustable shoot board for angles. I have a tendency to just make tools or helpers as I have a need for them, the same as I do in the blacksmith shop. Old habits are hard to break. Maybe I should have posted the other picture. I didn't even know Roger took the pics it has been so long ago.

Alan DuBoff
05-15-2006, 1:58 AM
took me awhile on that post Alan, being from the sticks, if you are referring to a bench hook, it's not one, it's an adjustable shoot board for angles. I have a tendency to just make tools or helpers as I have a need for them, the same as I do in the blacksmith shop. Old habits are hard to break. Maybe I should have posted the other picture. I didn't even know Roger took the pics it has been so long ago.Well, I like your shoot board (I use the one I have for both saw and plane, but it's only straight.

Yours has a certain Rube Goldbergness about it, I like it. :cool:

Roger Nixon
05-15-2006, 12:14 PM
Maybe I should have posted the other picture. I didn't even know Roger took the pics it has been so long ago.

Here is the other picture. You might notice that Harry took that board from square to mitered by the time I moved from one side of the bench to the other!

http://www.traditionaltools.us/cms/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10002-shootboard4.jpg

And it hasn't been THAT long, it was 2004! :) I was moving last summer and didn't have time to have a get together last year.

Maurice Metzger
05-15-2006, 12:40 PM
Harry, what kind of bench are you working on in the first picture? I remember you posting a while ago about your portable bench, is that it?

Maurice

tod evans
05-15-2006, 1:17 PM
slick harry! i`ll remember and use this`n....02 tod

harry strasil
05-15-2006, 2:01 PM
Yes, Maurice.

Maurice Metzger
05-15-2006, 2:44 PM
Harry, I really enjoyed looking through your old posts for this, for anyone else who's interested the pictures of the portable bench are here (at the bottom of the page):

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=3611

If you have the time, and don't mind your ideas being outright stolen, could you post some more details about the workbench - dimensions, how it is built, etc.

Later:

Actually I see you had already posted the details, above the pictures, thanks.

Maurice

harry strasil
05-15-2006, 3:32 PM
Maurice, I pretty much explained it in post #8 on the thread you posted.

The workbench legs are dovetailed to the top on both ends with a 3/4 peg for security,the feet and the stretcher are mortise and tenon and pegged. The top and vise end leg are basswood, 4 inches thick and 12 inches wide. the leg on the other end , the stretcher and feet are ash, the apron is oak with (6) 3/8 by 3 in woodscrews to hold it on and it is loose pegged to the top, no glue is used it will all come apart and there is no looseness in the sliding dovetails.(yet) I used basswood for the top because it was available and kiln dried and he ran it thru his planer all for $20 and it is light to move around, the top is full of holes for the bench dogs too. There is an old style bench vise on one end. It has the stability for chiseling on top of. I slide it out onto the cart and then upend it from there to set up.

If you need more specific details, I will be glad to oblige.

I just found the email where someone else wanted more info, its 36.5 inches tall and the feet are 19 inches wide. The holes in the Apron and the Top are 3/4 inch for bench dog use. The top has a series of 3 holes wide in the top for the benddogs and in the second picture you will see the system of tapered wedges and wood pegs I use to hold narrow stuff for planing.