PDA

View Full Version : Bois de rose box....

Michael Stafford
05-14-2006, 10:47 AM
A new wood for me, Bois de rose is also known as Madagascar rosewood. There are actually several woods known as Madagascar rosewood. This wood is hard, dense and pungent and dusty. Made dust like ebony....very irritating. It is also somewhat hard to photograph as the colors, deep red, purple and black don't show up as well in the pictures as they do in person. That is of course because of my photo skills.:o

The box finished up at 2 7/8" tall and 3 1/4" in diameter. It did polish like glass similar to the other rosewoods.

George Conklin
05-14-2006, 10:56 AM
Made dust like ebony....very irritating.

Another winner, Mike. So when you say "irritating", is that in a skin or respiratory way?:eek:

Michael Stafford
05-14-2006, 11:00 AM
George, for me ebony dust is very astringent so I am referring to the way it affects me in respiration. Probably shouldn't be breathing the dust in even with a dust mask. Very fine dust is created by woods such as this even during the turning process. It is sort of like turning a piece of coal.

Jim Becker
05-14-2006, 11:09 AM
Nice...and it has that "Mike" signature look! Wonderful wood...be careful as the rosewoods can be about the worst when it comes to irritation and worse.

Corey Hallagan
05-14-2006, 11:49 AM
Wow that is gorgeous. The wood is striking, in the laid down photos you can really see the colors. Excellent job as usual.

Corey

Corey Hallagan
05-14-2006, 11:56 AM
Mike, is this a dificult wood to find? I have not seen it any place in pen blanks or other turning stock. Somewhat rare?

Corey

Curt Fuller
05-14-2006, 12:14 PM
This and the Redwood Burl are both beautiful. I like everything about the all the boxes you turn.
As for the dust irritation, you probably should be using something more than a mask with these woods that cause respitory effects (I say but don't do myself). I've never turned the Bois de Rose, but other rosewoods have choked me up also. Try some Mun Ebony sometime if you really want to cough and hack for weeks.

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-14-2006, 2:22 PM
Very nicely done, Mike.

The coloring is wonderful, too.

Bruce

Keith Burns
05-14-2006, 4:17 PM
Extremely nice Big Mike !!! I always know when I see your name on a post that I can expect to see something special:) :)

Michael Stafford
05-14-2006, 4:45 PM
Corey, I do not know anything specific about its availability. I would guess that it has just begun to be harvested in marketable quantities. I would not imagine that it is all that rare since I was able to get it.....:o

Curt, I do know what you are talking about but, knock on wood, I have not had a violent reaction to any wood. This wood, ebony(Mun, Macassar, Gaboon, and Nigerian), padauk and a few others all make me have a dry tickle in my throat. I get that astringent feeling in my throat but no other reaction.

Thank you all for the nice feedback. I appreciate it.

Barry Stratton
05-14-2006, 4:58 PM
Beautiful Big Mike! Those rosewoods sure have interesting colors and polish like like glass and you bring out their best.

Are the exotics you turn kiln dried or green?

Michael Stafford
05-14-2006, 5:09 PM
Barry, some of these woods are waxed on the ends and come to me partially air dried. I rough turn these boxes and then soak them in alcohol and let them dry in my hot water heater closet for a couple of months. It seems to be working just fine using this method as long as I turn the finished product down to a relatively thin finished thickness. I have not had any boxes warp on me.....;)

Mark Cothren
05-14-2006, 5:13 PM
Shazam Mike! Another winner! What a great finish this box looks to have! Great work!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-14-2006, 5:39 PM
Doggone it Mike! You sure make it hard to come up with a new way of say "beautiful" when I view one of your turned boxes! Excellent!

John Hart
05-14-2006, 5:49 PM
....It is sort of like turning a piece of coal.

Believe it or not....this statement sent me into a couple hours of wondering whether I could turn a Coal Bowl!!!:eek: Is there no end?:rolleyes:

Beautiful Box Mike!!! As always! :)

Bernie Weishapl
05-14-2006, 6:15 PM
Beautiful box Mike. If you would quit raising the bar I could catch up.:p

John Miliunas
05-14-2006, 7:37 PM
And yet another winner, Big Mike! Beautiful and the finish on it is really killer! :) I'm with Bernie; Don't believe I can ever catch up!!! :D :cool:

Frank Chaffee
05-14-2006, 7:41 PM
How do you do it Michael,
Every box a new, distinctive and unique shape?

Please excuse me, I getting a bit dizzy.

Frank

Dick Parr
05-14-2006, 7:46 PM
Another beautiful one Mike, great job.

Jim Ketron
05-14-2006, 8:00 PM
Mike I would love to see this one!
Love the shape and the wood is just down right gorgeous!

Mike Ramsey
05-15-2006, 9:14 AM
That is some spectacular coloring!! The inside of the box looks like
it has years of petina already!! Fantastic job Big Mike!!