PDA

View Full Version : Table Complete for Mother's Day

Tony Falotico
05-14-2006, 8:56 AM
Finally finished the finish on the Arts & Crafts Occasional Table I've been working on.... just in time for Mother's Day. LOML loves it and is very happy with it in her living room.

It is the Arts & Crafts Occasional Table (in the article they call it Limbert Tabourette) from Popular Woodworking, issue #137 November 2003. Built exactly as the article / plans called except I made the top larger, 17" as opposed to 16" diameter. It stands 26" tall.

Built from cherry, finished with three light coats of BLO, then one coat Cabot's Cherrywood stain hand rubbed over the BLO, then many, many very light hand rubbed coats of Watco wipe on poly. The stain over the BLO really brought out a deep rich color, much more than just the BLO. The wipe on poly was a pain, not totally satisfied with it, but tired of working it. I'm going to let it sit in the house for at least a week then paste wax it.

After several years of building utility items, this is the first piece of furniture I've built in a very long time, and definitely my best so far. Hoping many more furniture projects to follow. Comments, suggestions and critiques are welcome, I'm always open to learning tips and techniques. Well, here goes........ hope you like it......

John Buzzurro
05-14-2006, 9:15 AM
Outstanding job, Tony.

Shelley Bolster
05-14-2006, 9:26 AM
After several years of building utility items, this is the first piece of furniture I've built in a very long time, and definitely my best so far. Hoping many more furniture projects to follow.

You have a wonderful start with your plan to make more Tony.
don't stop now.....we want to see more great examples of your work. :)

John Miliunas
05-14-2006, 10:08 AM
Tony, I recall seeing that piece in the mag and I have to say that you did it justice!!! :) Being as to how Cherry is one of my favorite flavors, that scores additional points. :D Looks to me like you had to incorporate numerous WW skills into the project and you pulled it off with top marks! Great job, Tony! :) :cool:

Lars Thomas
05-14-2006, 10:16 AM
Looking good.

Corey Hallagan
05-14-2006, 10:19 AM
Excellent piece Tony, I am sure she will like it alot!
Corey

Jim Becker
05-14-2006, 10:33 AM
Very nice work, Tony. I'm sure it will be appreciated!

Bob Noles
05-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Tony,

A beautiful finished project. Your craftsmanship shines thru the finish on this one :)

Mark Singer
05-14-2006, 10:44 AM
Tony,
Very nice work! I know she will ove it!

Rick de Roque
05-14-2006, 10:47 AM
Love the cherry. Nice grain on the top. I like it.

Rick

Helen Gee
05-14-2006, 11:28 AM
beautiful work Tony!! And excellent present for Mother's Day :)

Ron Jones near Indy
05-14-2006, 11:35 AM
Very nice Tony. Nice grain on the top and the lower shelf. That table will be in the family for decades.

Dave Ray
05-14-2006, 11:59 AM
Nice work Toni, great timing also. Looking forward to seeing more of your furniture.

Jerry Olexa
06-04-2006, 9:01 PM
Very nice, Tony.. The cherry looks good!!

Carl Eyman
06-04-2006, 9:21 PM
All Mothers should be so lucky! Wish I'd been able to make something for my mother, but then, by now it'd have been sold to a used furniture guy. Hope you signed it with date, who it was made for, etc. I think that makes it special for whomever ends up with it.