PDA

View Full Version : Stud finder for CBU

Bob Johnson2
05-14-2006, 7:19 AM
Aside from the usual jokes, has anyone found a stud sensor that works thru cement board? Tried one of the HD Zircon units with "DEEP SCAN" and found that my bathroom studs are about 8" wide and randomly placed.

Thanks, Bob

Per Swenson
05-14-2006, 7:37 AM
Bob,

I use a 1 inch rare earth magnet from Lee Valley.

Per

Bob Johnson2
05-14-2006, 7:48 AM
Bob,

I use a 1 inch rare earth magnet from Lee Valley.

Per

Think it would register thru tile?

Per Swenson
05-14-2006, 7:54 AM
Bob,

Nope.

Sorry.

When I have to install grab bars and such in baths,

I do not even worry about the studs, I just drill away with

a tile bit, if I hit a stud, good. If not, those plastic anchors with a dab

of 5 minute epoxy work wonders.

Per

Bob Johnson2
05-14-2006, 8:00 AM
Per,
Thanks, I won't worry about it then, and save the $$$ for something else.

Bob

Jim Becker
05-14-2006, 10:59 AM
ATried one of the HD Zircon units with "DEEP SCAN" and found that my bathroom studs are about 8" wide and randomly placed.

I suspect the width is off, but the random spacing could be real based on my experience!! ;) (I can't answer your product question, however...)

Brett Baldwin
05-14-2006, 3:52 PM
It would probably be ridiculously expensive but what about those thermal cameras that I've seen some home inspectors use. If it wasn't precise enough, at least it would be a really cool toy that would make you look extra professional. :D

Tyler Howell
05-14-2006, 6:52 PM
I've tried the above mentioned on plaster and getting the same results. My best luck has been with 16" spacings.

Bob Johnson2
05-14-2006, 9:34 PM
It would probably be ridiculously expensive but what about those thermal cameras that I've seen some home inspectors use. If it wasn't precise enough, at least it would be a really cool toy that would make you look extra professional. :D

We actually have one of these at work, but at $20k I'm not borrowing it.

Jamie Buxton
05-14-2006, 9:46 PM
Can you get at the other side of the wall? First you find them over there, and confirm their spacing. Then you figure out how to transfer the measurement of one of them to the bathroom side. Maybe on the bathroom side you have to resort to drilling a few small holes up near the ceiling or down near the floor, just to pinpoint the first stud.