PDA

View Full Version : Festool Sanders

Paul Canaris
05-13-2006, 7:13 PM
I'm thinking of purchasing a Festool sander with a dust collector; one of the package deals available from several vendors on the internet.

I feel silly asking this, but after reading all the ads twice I can't tell. Do the package deals include a hose to connect the sander to the dust collector?:o

Dave Falkenstein
05-13-2006, 7:21 PM
Paul - Yes - the Festool dust extractor comes with a hose that connects to the sanders. To my knowledge, all of the packages contain whatever the individual tools contain, and are simply sold at a somewhat lower price as a package. The hose is included with the dust extractor. If you buy a sander alone, you do not get a hose included.

Russ Massery
05-13-2006, 7:47 PM
I bought mine from Fellow Creeker Bob Marino. It doesn't cost anymore to buy from him. Call him He's a great guy to talk to. And can give you all the info you need.

Paul Canaris
05-13-2006, 8:13 PM
Thanks Dave and Russ, I'll give a call to Bob Morino.:)

Jim Becker
05-13-2006, 8:46 PM
You can also reach Uncle Bob at his web site (http://festool.safeshopper.com)...

John Miliunas
05-13-2006, 8:51 PM
Paul, you won't be sorry with any of the Festool sander/vac combinations and yes, "Uncle Bob" is the man to go to! :) Very knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with! :) :cool:

Paul Canaris
05-13-2006, 9:27 PM
The dust collector combinations come in a choice of three sized units; does anyone know if the mini is adequate for the ES-125?

Russ Massery
05-13-2006, 9:31 PM
I would say yes. Since I use it (mini) with my Rotex (RO150) and a ETS150.

Dave Falkenstein
05-13-2006, 10:27 PM
The dust collector combinations come in a choice of three sized units; does anyone know if the mini is adequate for the ES-125?

The Mini is certainly adequate. I chose the CT-22 because of the higher CFM (99 vs 134) and dust capacity (2.6 gallons vs 5.8). If you plan to use the dust extractor mostly around the shop, perhaps the CT-22 is a better choice. Many people that use the Mini chose it because of its ease of portability. The larger CT-22 and CT-33 are better at collecting the dust from the plunge saw, should you ever add that to your collection. The HEPA filter on the larger units is also a plus to some folks.

Also, please note that a 6" sander covers 40 percent more surface area than a 5" sander.

Paul Canaris
05-14-2006, 8:15 AM
Dave, I eventually plan on getting the Festool 3.5 hp router as my current Bosch is slowly dying.

Do you think I would need the higher CFM of either the CT22 or CT33 to pull the chips off the router effectively?

Thought being that I don't want to end up with multiple dust collectors taking up floor space.

Bob Marino
05-14-2006, 9:27 AM
Dave, I eventually plan on getting the Festool 3.5 hp router as my current Bosch is slowly dying.

Do you think I would need the higher CFM of either the CT22 or CT33 to pull the chips off the router effectively?

Thought being that I don't want to end up with multiple dust collectors taking up floor space.

Paul,

I am not David but the lower CFM'S as well as the smaller capacity of the CT MINI are the reasons Festool does not offer the CT and 2000 router (as well as the 1400 router and planer) as one of their "package deals". The large amount of chips generated when heavy routing would quickly fill the MINI's bag.
The MINI can do the job, but the 22 and 33 will do it more effectively.

Bob

John Miliunas
05-14-2006, 9:38 AM
Paul, IMHO, if you can afford the CT-22, that's what I would recommend. Reasons? As it happens, I work part time at our local Woodcraft and, having used the CT-22, I have to believe it will handle anything you can throw at it from the Festool line. It is, as a matter of fact, our "go to" vac at the store. The advantages are numerous: You have the HEPA filtration, which will really help with the fine dust (such as sanding); Personally, I hate changing out dust bags and you won't do it as often with the 22. The actual footprint of the unit is not much larger than the Mini. Finally, there is just no substituting CFM. I think the Mini would do OK on major chip collection with the big router but, when you run into instances where the shroud on the router isn't optimal (running rabbets, for instance), the extra CFM will help. :) You need to understand that, in the case of routers, there will be circumstances where chip collection won't be optimal with any router or any dust collection system. It's kind of like DC for a miter saw; You're just not going to get 100% of it. :rolleyes:

Personally, if I were starting over, that would indeed be my choice. I'd say, contact Uncle Bob and get the system ordered. The sooner you do it, the sooner you'll be able to enjoy its benefits! :D :cool:

Edit: LOL...Seems that Uncle Bob and I were writing at the same time! (great minds and all that... :) )

Dave Carson
05-14-2006, 11:21 AM
I ordered a bunch of sandpaper off of Bob. He was great to deal with.

Dave

Dave Falkenstein
05-14-2006, 11:22 AM

Paul - Bob and John covered the CT-22 question perfectly - they get up earlier than I do!!! I'd also recommend the CT-22. The CT-33 has the same specs, a bigger bag and a storage compartment. Let Bob help you configure your purchases - he will steer you in the right direction based on your needs.

If you are going to use the router as your go-to hand-held router, lots of folks really like the OF1400. It has plenty of power, handles all three collet sizes, and is a smooth operating machine.

Dust collection with the router and plunge saw is not perfect, but it is very good, especially compared to most of the alternatives. Dust collection with the sanders is just about perfect if you are sanding flat surfaces that cover all or most of the pad surface.

Jesse Cloud
05-14-2006, 12:04 PM
Hey Paul,
The CT-22 and the sander are a great investment. I've been using the CT-22 with the saw for a few months, sprung for the Rotex sander a couple of weeks ago.
Sort of a funny story... when the sander came in, I was puzzled cuz it has an oval port for dust extraction, while the CT-22 hose is round. I looked and looked on websites and in the catalog for an adaptor and finally emailed Bob Marino, who told me that you just push the round hose onto the oval port. The hose is flexible and takes on the oval shape to make a snug fit. The system will really hog out wood and the dust collection is darn near perfect.
Hope this saves you some hassle.
Jess

John Keane
05-14-2006, 1:10 PM
I just bought a ES125 and the CT22. No complaints. The other day I saw the mini. As a hobbyist woodworker in the garage the mini would serve my purpose and take up a little less room. Bob Marino is the guy to deal with. You can talk to him, and he will level with you.

Paul Canaris
05-14-2006, 3:06 PM
Thanks guys, great responses. I'll call Bob next week and figure out what to do.