PDA

View Full Version : future ezsmart cutting table

frank shic
05-13-2006, 5:15 PM
i received a rather well-packaged guide rail and cabinetmaker yesterday in the mail from dino. in the meantime, i've been working on a cutting table to put the ezsmart guide to optimal use. the plans came from jack logan's the woodshop website but i turned the outer pieces on their edge to resist downward sag forces and pocket screwed the cross rails. i salvaged the fold down legs from a previous table and cut a 1" thick sheet of styrofoam after being inspired by john lucas' example to provide yet another zero clearance cutting surface to minimize chipout since i work with lots of melamine.

http://images1.snapfish.com/346%3A77%3A%3A3%7Ffp33%3B%3Enu%3D3237%3E%3A%3A%3A% 3E8%3B7%3EWSNRCG%3D3233739744%3C4%3Cnu0mrj
http://images1.snapfish.com/346%3A78845%7Ffp345%3Enu%3D3237%3E%3A%3A%3A%3E8%3B 7%3EWSNRCG%3D3233739739463nu0mrj

Don Bergren
05-13-2006, 8:19 PM
Nice table Frank! Nothing beats having a cutting table that you can actually cut. I think it will make your work a lot easier. Enjoy!

frank shic
05-13-2006, 8:28 PM
thanks don! i just got tired of having to drag out the sawhorses every time i wanted to cut some sheet stock. the other annoying part was that the cut would sag somewhere in the middle or the pieces would fall off between. my other temporary solution was placing another sheet of 4x8 plywood underneath the styrofoam. now, i'm trying to minimize the setup time so i can just prop up the table, load the sheet and GET CUTTING. hopefully, dino's clever invention will save me a couple of extra steps in trimming the finished parts on the table saw.

:p

Dino Makropoulos
05-13-2006, 10:37 PM
Frank.
Take a look at Don's smart table for even more good ideas.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34705
Good luck and happy cutting.
after you get the right Left base :rolleyes: :D :D

frank shic
05-13-2006, 10:55 PM
dino, your customer support is fantastic! i really didnt expect a reply until monday! anyways, thanks for the idea - the dust collection and the cord are the next two problems to deal with and the overhead solution seems like the most viable one. BTW, i had to resquare the square but it was utter simplicity after watching your videos. keep em coming, ok? has anyone thought of writing a book on building cabinets with the ez? hmmm....

:D

Dino Makropoulos
05-13-2006, 11:09 PM
Why not?
Here is the intro.:cool:
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36376

frank shic
05-14-2006, 11:45 AM
that's a pretty nice job, dino. but tell me: have you figured out an EZ finishing system?

;)

Dino Makropoulos
05-14-2006, 1:29 PM
that's a pretty nice job, dino. but tell me: have you figured out an EZ finishing system?

;)
The easiest way (for me) was:
1. To get pre finished panels.:D
2. Don't use edge banding.:rolleyes: :eek: ( I like the look of the ply):D
3. Make a platform for the base cab's. Better look and easy to build cab's
without a toe kick cut-out. Easier installation because the platform is
perfect level. No shims.
4. Order the doors pre finished from a door supplier. We made this doors in
house, but not the best idea. You can buy nice doors for less than
buying the wood and your labors.
(except if you have plenty of time) :rolleyes:
5. Go for frame less but all wood construction.
6. Spend $200.00 for better hardware.
7. Buy the moldings from a molding shop.
8. Stay with natural look. (clear finish)

Dino Makropoulos
05-14-2006, 3:06 PM
Frank.
Your thread was moved from the Gen. Woodworking Forum.
Welcome to the Underground Woodworking Society.
Look's like the "ez smart" is making some people upset.
For the good of the ez smart and this Forum (SMC)...
The ez smart forum is closed.
After all... We don't want someone to drop here by mistake and ...upset him.

Steve Clardy
05-14-2006, 5:23 PM
Frank.
Your thread was moved from the Gen. Woodworking Forum.
Welcome to the Underground Woodworking Society.
Look's like the "ez smart" is making some people upset.
For the good of the ez smart and this Forum (SMC)...
The ez smart forum is closed.
After all... We don't want someone to drop here by mistake and ...upset him.

Upseting who?

frank shic
05-15-2006, 6:25 PM
sorry to have caused so much havok, boss! anyways, i wholeheartedly agree with your recommendations of using prefinished material - this is one of the reasons that i have not written of melamine simply because it's compressed sawdust. prefinished plywood will definitely be in my future plans for the next kitchen remodel.

Jim Becker
05-15-2006, 7:48 PM
I think that's a pretty darn nice table setup to use with a guided system! Nice job, Frank.

frank shic
05-15-2006, 11:08 PM
thanks jim, although it doesn't hold a candle to your adjust-a-bench cab - now there's some real carpentry at hand! nevertheless, i had a chance to take it for a test spin tonight and it worked very well in setting up and breaking down <1 minute but i bracing at least one of the legs with a foot is a MUST or else the whole table just pivots in midair.

chester stidham
05-16-2006, 3:30 AM
You know I have a old folding table with a partical bord top that I use I just drag it out cut right on top then put it away when the top gets too many cuts in it then I put another pice of the same back on top not high teck but it works well for me. also use it for painting and small glue ups:p

chester stidham
05-16-2006, 3:34 AM
You know what I have been using a old foldup lag table for years to cut on paint on do glueups on ect. just replace the top when it gets to bad. high teck table LOL. but it works for me.