PDA

View Full Version : Ready for bandsaw upgrade

Liem Tran
05-13-2006, 2:20 PM
I currently own a Jet 12" open stand model. This model lacks the power to resaw and does not have many accessories availiable. Now that I'm getting a little more serious about woodworking, I'm ready for an upgrade. My budget is around $500-$700. I was wondering if anyone here has good or bad experiences with any particular make or model. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Liem

Cecil Arnold
05-13-2006, 3:39 PM
In that price range I think I might look at the Jet 16 (assuming you can sell the 12" and add it to your top number) or one of the Griz saws.

Jim Becker
05-13-2006, 3:44 PM
The new Jet 18" saw and the Grizzly G0513 (or current equivalent) would be great upgrades to look at in the top of your price range, especially if you want to resaw a little.

Peter Lyon
05-13-2006, 3:54 PM
I have the the G5013 and am quite pleased with it. This is a 17" saw with around 12" of resaw capacity. I believe it is 2 hp. Best of all, it's close to your price range ($795?) too. I generally keep a 1", 3 tpi timberwolf blade on mine. If you have the space, I'd recommend keeping the 12" saw and use it with a smaller blade on it.

Liem Tran
05-13-2006, 4:32 PM
One thing I forgot to mention is that I only have a 20'x21' shop. So space is also an issue. I currently have most of the common stationary tools in place already so there isn't a whole lotta room left. Oh, I also share my shop with one car on occasion.

What do you guys think about a 14" model? Does it provide enough capacity and power to do most things? I was interested in the 14" Jet closed stand model. Any comments?

Thanks,
Liem

Alan Tolchinsky
05-13-2006, 4:56 PM
I think the 14" saws can do "most things" people ask of them. But most say resawing is slow with them. So if you don't do much resawing then the 14" models should do fine.

David Eisenhauer
05-13-2006, 5:32 PM
Like Allan says, the 14" can be made to do most shop tasks, however if you are serious about wanting to get into more than the occasional resawing, I believe you will be disapointed with the 14" for much resawing. It lacks horsepower and frame stiffness to do tons of "hard" hardwood resawing on a regular basis. If cash is a point to consider (when is it ever not?), go for the 14" now, then maybe do a sell-off and upgrade later on like you are doing now. I upgarded from a 12" no-name to a used Rockwell 14", used it for a few years, then moved up to a different class of machine that handles resawing. Best of luck.

Cecil Arnold
05-13-2006, 5:38 PM
Liem, IMHO the move to the 14" is not much of a step up from the 12" I don't think you get much in the way of increased HP or capicity. I have a shop that is only about 11X23' so I know what you are talking about on space issues.

Barry Bruner
05-13-2006, 7:25 PM
I think Jim`s recmondation is good, I went from a Craftsmen 12" to a G0513X . I didn`t want to go up one step at a time and be thinking about the third bandsaw two weeks after getting the second. My first planer was a 5 hp. instead of starting with the 12" with about two horsepower, been very happy and in the long run it was cheaper. I`m like most of us, on a budget buy some times its cheaper buy the last first. BARRY BRUNER

Barry Bruner
05-13-2006, 7:48 PM
Forgot to mention my old craftsmen saw takes up 27" x 23" and my G0513X takes up 27" x 18". They are taller but all the brands mentioned I would bet are simlar. BARRY BRUNER

Matt King
05-13-2006, 8:29 PM
I just bought a G0513 from Reg - I've been most satisfied with it so far. Since you already have experience with another saw, you'll probably spend but a few moment to get the guides set up well for your blade, and then it just purrs like a kitten......:)

Good luck!

Matt King

Art Davis
05-14-2006, 11:58 PM
Liem,

My recommendation would be a Grizzly G0555 with riser block for resawing. I have this saw with the riser and am really pleased. Have been using it for about two years. I put it on a mobile base. That way, you can roll it out of the way when you have to park a car. Oh, yes! I would add a Timberwolf blade or two. Maybe 3/4 inch for resawing and a very small one for cutting things with a tight radius of curvature---at the minimum. Good luck.

Liem Tran
05-15-2006, 2:20 AM
I did a little research on the Grizzly go513. It seem to have lots of features at a very reasonable price. I'll try to hunt one down tomorrow to take a closer look.
Oh, I noticed that this particular model does not use 1/16" blades. What happens if you try to put one on? :rolleyes: Has anyone tried? Also, will the Kreg precision fence fit on it?

Thanks,
Liem

Jim Becker
05-15-2006, 9:12 AM
Oh, I noticed that this particular model does not use 1/16" blades. What happens if you try to put one on?

If this is a requirement, you'll want to keep your small saw for that scrolling work if you buy a larger saw like the G0513. 1/16" blades require cool blocks to bury the blade in, too. The normal guides on larger saws generally are not amenable to such narrow blades.

tod evans
05-15-2006, 9:18 AM
liem, lotsa years ago i ran an old 14" american made saw that i outfitted with a 5hp motor, it`d cut what you threw at it...unless you`re stuck on new this is a very servicable option for the money..02 tod

Frank Fusco
05-15-2006, 9:40 AM
I think the 14" saws can do "most things" people ask of them. But most say resawing is slow with them. So if you don't do much resawing then the 14" models should do fine.

I do a considerable amount of resawing with my Grizzly G0555. Most of what I do is with hardwoods, osage orange, walnut, etc. Using a 3/4"X3tpi Timberwolf blade, it goes through them like butter. I don't use the riser and am limited to a 6" cut. But it does fine. This model has a two-step pulley system if one wishes more power. Doing what I do is probably the outermost limit of what one can ask from a 14" bandsaw and I don't see the need for more power and use the standard speed.

Liem Tran
05-15-2006, 5:19 PM
I tried to hunt down a Go513 today to take a closer look, but it seems there are no dealers in town. This might be too much to ask for, but can anyone that own this model post some detail pics? Guide post, bearings, wheels, etc.
I really want to see it before I make the purchase. Grizzly's website don't have detail photos.
oh, one more thing, do you guys know if the Kreg rip fence fits this model?
Also, I noticed that this particular model does not use 1/16th" blades, what happends if you put one on? :D

Thanks for all the info. everyone is so helpful and generous here.

Liem

Jim Becker
05-15-2006, 5:36 PM
Grizzly (http://www.grizzly.com) only sells direct, Liem...no dealers. There is a similar saw under the "Shop Fox" brand from, um...similar sources...that is carried by dealers. White paint. Difference pricing as the dealers set the price.

Curt Harms
05-15-2006, 6:45 PM
Thanks for all the info. everyone is so helpful and generous here.

Liem

I sent you a link to a review with lots of pics. As Jim B. said, the Shop Fox is essentially the same saw in a different color. I would think Houston would have a dealer that handles Shop Fox. Shop Fox web site is shopfox.biz. HTH

Curt