PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor / garden fixtures

Mike Blackburn
05-13-2006, 1:48 PM
I'm making some small/decorative fence sections out of western red cedar that will go around my new fruit trees and planting beds. I'v started out with titebond II and a brad to fasten half lap joints in ¾ X 1 pcs. They seem pretty sturdy now, but how will that glue hold up outside over time? Could I be using a better adhesive?

I haven't decided on paint yet and may paint some and leave most natural if that matters. I'd like these to last because I'm putting a lot more time into them than I initially thought I would. Don't projects turn out that way?

Jim Becker
05-13-2006, 3:46 PM
Titebond II or III will generally work fine in this environment, although the III as well as polyurethane glues will perform the best in "real weather" situations.

Ian Barley
05-13-2006, 5:07 PM
I use Titebond 3 - it seems to be holding up well in the real world.

Frank Pellow
05-14-2006, 9:27 PM
Another vote here for Titebond III.

Matt Meiser
05-14-2006, 9:33 PM
I used Gorilla Glue on a repair on a couple of porch posts (had to section in the bottom half) and they are holding up great. The foamout makes a mess though if you use too much.

No experience with TBII/III outside, and I have no reason to doubt that it will work well too. I'll probably use one or the other on a couple upcoming outdoor projects.

Jamie Buxton
05-14-2006, 9:50 PM
I've used Titebond II outside, and it survived. On new work, I'd now use III.

However, I wouldn't use a steel brad on cedar which I'm not going to paint. The brad will rust and stain the cedar.