PDA

View Full Version : New kid on the block

Doug Thompson
05-13-2006, 1:21 PM
Hello,
I've been hanging around this place for a while and thought I'd jump in.

I never thought turning would be so much fun untill just over a year ago when I bought a 3520 and turned green wood for the first time... hooked doesn't even begin to discribe it. In the past turning was just to make table or chair legs with a scraper that was never sharpened and a bunch of sandpaper.

A visit to JoHannes Michelsen's web site sparked a interest to learn how to turn. So I bought his video then took the 3 day class and learned how to turn... a hat. It did take alot of time to learn and I still lose about 25% but it's fun to turn...

Hope I could add to this site,
Doug

Here's a picture of the last batch.

tod evans
05-13-2006, 1:37 PM
welcome doug! pretty slick headwear you`re spinnin`. tod

David Fried
05-13-2006, 1:38 PM
Welcome Doug!

The hats look great! (Obviously you're NOT related to that Dale guy;) )

John Miliunas
05-13-2006, 2:17 PM
Well, Doug, I was going to say, "Welcome to the Vortex" but, you're obviously way, way deep in it already! :D So, with that, welcome to the Creek! Seeing as to how you've been "hanging around", you know what a great place this is! And, I see you've already caught on to the #1 rule about posting pics. :D

Now, as for the hats, I'm not much of a hat guy myself (any hats!) but, the ones you're spinnin' are just way too cool! :) I have to believe that, at some point in your SMC cruising, you're going to have to include some type of "crash course" in how that's done! It's quite apparent that you have much to share! I hope we can reciprocate, even a little bit. Great having you aboard! :) :cool:

Corey Hallagan
05-13-2006, 2:34 PM
Welcome Doug and those are some cool hats! Nice job and looking forward to seeing more from you!

Corey

John Hart
05-13-2006, 2:47 PM
Welcome Doug!!!

Holy Cow! You do nice work!! A while back, John Shuk posted a thread regarding JoHannes Michelsen and I was captivated by his work. And here, there's someone just on the other side of town doing the same thing!

I look forward to more of your work. :)

Christopher K. Hartley
05-13-2006, 3:13 PM
Welcome to the Creek and HATS off to you for the wonderful work. We may well expect some pointers on those hats.

Jim Becker
05-13-2006, 3:55 PM
'Hat's very nice!! Welcome to the 'Creek, Doug!!

Bob Noles
05-13-2006, 4:01 PM
Welcome to the Creek Doug. I see we have a lot we can learn from you.

Wow.... nice hats!

Jim Ketron
05-13-2006, 4:14 PM
Nice Job!
Awesome looking Ambrosia Maple hats!
Welcome to the Creek!

Glenn Hodges
05-13-2006, 4:36 PM
Doug we are glad to have you, and appreciate you showing your work to us. Looking forward to seeing more of it.

Dick Parr
05-13-2006, 4:59 PM
Welcome to the Creek Doug, very nice work!

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
05-13-2006, 5:36 PM
Gorgeous hats. How long did it take you to learn the technique? How difficult is it?

Travis Stinson
05-13-2006, 5:40 PM
Welcome aboard Doug. Very nice job on the hats! Looking forward to seeing more!:cool:

John Shuk
05-13-2006, 7:37 PM
Very nice work and welcome. JoHannes is a great guy.

Doug Thompson
05-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Thanks for welcome. I'm still new at this game and amazed at the work posted on this site... so much to learn.

The ambrosia maple came from our city firewood dump, the log was 4 feet in diameter and about 10 feet long. In a few days and some hard work the log was in my yard... enough for 20 hats. This is the problem with making hats the blank weights about 55 pounds. That's alot of shavings to clean up.

John and John - Johannes is a down to earth person and a skilled turner. I kept in contact so when he's in town we'll go to dinner... he wears a hat and I won't. His work is that nice! But then again he sells his art and I give them away.

Here's a madhatter I wore on St Patty's day... had people at the bank, stores and work laughing. It was fun.

That's it for now... thanks again,
Doug

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-14-2006, 12:32 AM
Welcome to the Vortex.

I am in AWE of those who turn HATS. Those are some of the BEST I've ever seen!

Bruce

Don Orr
05-15-2006, 12:11 PM
Doug, beautiful work on those head toppers. Welcome to the Creek and a tip o' the hat for a job well done.:D

Keith Burns
05-15-2006, 12:29 PM
Welcome to the Creek Doug ! Definately some nice hats:) :) Look forward to seeing more of your work !!!

Gil Jones
05-15-2006, 12:39 PM
Great looking hats!