PDA

View Full Version : Identity Unknown

harry strasil
05-13-2006, 1:04 PM
Saw Filing Jig, Identity Unknown, No name visible or a patent date. But this works rather well. Maybe someone has seen one before somewhere.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/sawfilinggauge.jpg

Alan DuBoff
05-13-2006, 3:29 PM
Harry,

Looks like a decent jig, and I do not know who the maker is. I only have a couple saw vises, and one has a bar on it for such a jig, but I've never seen the jig for it. My vise is an E.C. Stearns, but I think many of the vises had the bar, the Disston, Wentworth, Stearns, et al...

I have tried to use one of these filing jigs on a friend's vise, but don't like it. The concept seems good, but in actual practice it doesn't seem practical to me. It forces one to keep the file perfectly straight, and seems to produce more of what I refer to as "machine results". Seems to turn the vise into a manual foley of such...;-)

Anyway, not to dis your jig, it looks like a solid one, sorry I can't help with the maker. Maybe Mike Wenzloff or Leif Hanson can offer some insight, both of them have a fair amount of saw vises and tools.

harry strasil
05-14-2006, 10:44 AM
I found a picture of one identical in an old tool catalog and it was a stearns, this must be a no name knock off.