PDA

View Full Version : Installing my Dust Gorilla

Michael Gabbay
05-13-2006, 7:47 AM
I'm stuck..... http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowconfused.gif

I'm getting ready to install my 3hp Oneida SDG. The problem I have is the ceiling height is limited to 93" and the overall unit with the stand is 94" based on dry fit measurements. I do have an unfinished ceiling so the unit would be placed in between joists.

It appears that there are basically two options for mounting the motor and cyclone barrel etc to the stand. One is install the cone then the motor attached to the cyclone barrel. The second is to install the cone then the cyclone barrel and then the motor. Due to the height limitations I think I need to do the first option.

I had another thought that I wanted everyone's feedback on. Could I install everything while the stand is laying down and then tip it up into place? I realize that the cyclone alone is about 200 pounds and this would probably require 2 or 3 people.

If all else fails I was going to mount the unit to the wall using the bracket at a lower height and make an air tight collection box. If I do this I will need to frame out a small wall to hang it on since I have concrete walls in the basement shop. The header of the wall needs to be attached to the joists and the stud wall will be screwed into the concrete using Tapcon screws. One question I have is what the best way to dampen the vibration where the wall header attaches to the ceiling joists? I was thinking of using bushings and bolt the header to the joist cross brace.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks, Mike

Jim Becker
05-13-2006, 10:22 AM
It sounds like you could mount the blower to the stand and then tip it all up with the motor between the joists...you should have enough room. Then put the rest of the components together. 'No sense in lifting "everything"!!

BTW, I run mine with the motor almost completely hidden between the joists so I can use a 55 gallon drum. (2hp Commercial, but very similar in dimensions to your new 3hp unit)

Michael Gabbay
05-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Jim - thanks. To do the tip up method, I have to mount everything except the filter arm and filter. I'm taking Advil now! :D

This should be interesting I'll have recruit my 24 yr old nephew and neighbor to help out.