PDA

View Full Version : Pic Test/Aquarium Stand

Norman Hitt
05-13-2006, 4:29 AM
My Comp "Guru" reconfigured some things for me today, so I'm going to try to post a few pics (of in progress photos of the aquarium stand I'm making for him). They are in no particular order. The two end openings will have doors and only one 12" shelf high at the rear of each of those compartments. The center will have a unique drawer (my idea and design). The front 8" to 10" will have three shelves and a back to display pics and ornaments, and behind that faux back, the bottom shelf will continue as the bottom for the hidden part of the drawer. This will be mounted on full opening drawer slides. A top canopy above the aquarium will be added at a later date. I've still got to flute the end stiles, mold & fit the top & bottom edge rails and make & install the top & bottom trim molding, cut access holes in the back for air hoses & electrical & install it to finish the case. I will band the two doors with 1/4" strips that will protrude 3/16" on the front of the doors, with a beaded edge.

Got a lot to do yet, but no real hurry. I think I may get lucky and not have to do the FINISH, as his Grandfather mentioned volunteering.:D;) :D

I hope these pics come through, (even though they show my dirty/junked up shop). :o

Uh....oh, only two will load, :( back to the drawing board.:rolleyes:

Norman Hitt
05-13-2006, 7:06 AM
Well, only one would load this time.:confused: I was fairly well pleased with the grain matching for all the FF pieces and their match with the RO ply. I bought every piece of Straight grain that was available in two trips and what they had left was ALL flat sawn and looked terrible.

Norman Hitt
05-13-2006, 7:35 AM
......OooooooooK....."FINALLY". :rolleyes: I'm totally confused as to why it will sometimes upload & sometimes it won't, and all with the same size, etc each try.:confused:

I forgot to mention that the case has, or will have, a Poplar sub-base, with 3/4" Red Oak ply ends, 3/4" Birch ply top, bottom and divider panels, Red Oak ply doors and Red oak FF and all trim and a 1/4" ply back (that I can't remember the name of).:rolleyes: Guess we'll see if my design will be stout enough to hold up the 135 gallon Aquarium without any racking, with all the water, rocks & little fishies.;) :D

Thanks for looking, & will post again when finished.

Jim Becker
05-13-2006, 10:23 AM
"Clampeti-do-da, clampeti-ay!" Lookin' good, Norm!

Bruce Page
05-13-2006, 11:50 AM
Norman, it looks plenty stout to me! I’m looking forward to seeing it completed. I built a stand for my 110 gallon tank, it was a fun project.

Norman Hitt
05-13-2006, 4:42 PM
"Clampeti-do-da, clampeti-ay!" Lookin' good, Norm!

Jim, you should have seen it "BEFORE" I removed a lot of clamps. I should have thought to take the pics first, because I think EVERY piece of plywood, and all the Red Oak and Poplar bowed and or warped by the time I started the glueup.:o I had straightening cauls, right angle clamp brackets and flat pieces clamped to hold edges and surfaces even while I got all the screws inserted and the glue dried. ;) (Sure glad I caught that Amazon clamp sale a couple of yrs ago):D It was really busy for a few minutes for my WW buddy and I, trying to get everything straight/even/square and clamped before the FF glue timed out.;) It sure is easier to make something out of 25 or 30 yr old reclaimed plywood, "that's still STRAIGHT & FLAT, not like the stuff we get today.:(

(Bruce Page) Norman, it looks plenty stout to me! I’m looking forward to seeing it completed. I built a stand for my 110 gallon tank, it was a fun project.

Yeah, Bruce, it's been both a fun and "Interesting" project and I'm kinda anxious to see the final results too. He wants to use it some and get all his accessories set up and working before we design a hinged canopy for it, but I have a few design ideas already, from what he has told me about it so far.

Chris Barton
05-13-2006, 4:50 PM
......OooooooooK....."FINALLY". :rolleyes: I'm totally confused as to why it will sometimes upload & sometimes it won't, and all with the same size, etc each try.:confused:

I forgot to mention that the case has, or will have, a Poplar sub-base, with 3/4" Red Oak ply ends, 3/4" Birch ply top, bottom and divider panels, Red Oak ply doors and Red oak FF and all trim and a 1/4" ply back (that I can't remember the name of).:rolleyes: Guess we'll see if my design will be stout enough to hold up the 135 gallon Aquarium without any racking, with all the water, rocks & little fishies.;) :D

Thanks for looking, & will post again when finished.

It looks good and plenty sturdy. At 135 gals the aquarium with accessories should weigh about 970-1,000 lbs. Most folks over build these items and yours looks plenty well engineered.