PDA

View Full Version : Can I exclude some forums?

Jim DeLaney
05-12-2006, 10:59 PM
There are at least two forums at SMC that I have no interest in at all. Is there a way to exclude them from the sort when I click on "New Posts" from the main screen, so that I don't see anything in them in the New Posts search results??

Martin Shupe
05-13-2006, 12:54 AM
Good question, Jim, I'd like know if this is possible, too.

Lee DeRaud
05-13-2006, 1:23 AM
That came up awhile ago: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=33728
Short answer is no, not yet, maybe later.

Bruce Page
05-13-2006, 11:56 AM
There are at least two forums at SMC that I have no interest in at all. Is there a way to exclude them from the sort when I click on "New Posts" from the main screen, so that I don't see anything in them in the New Posts search results??
Ditto for me, a software feature like that would definitely get my vote!

Ken Garlock
05-13-2006, 12:45 PM
Maybe Kieth should post the Email address of the Vbulletin folks so we can do some productive "enhancements spamming." :eek: :D

Keith Outten
05-13-2006, 10:02 PM
Maybe Kieth should post the Email address of the Vbulletin folks so we can do some productive "enhancements spamming." :eek: :D

Ken,

The vBulletin web site is;

http://www.vbulletin.com/

John Miliunas
05-14-2006, 4:06 PM
Personally, I'm a big "New Posts" user, though I will visit most every forum, if I have the time. OTOH, while it may be a tad more cumbersome not having that feature built-in, you can still closely simulate it when going to the "new posts". If you're main interest is the Turner's Forum, simply click on the "Forum" link to the right of the post and it will bring you directly to that forum. All of the latest "new posts" since your last visit will by hi-lited in bold. You'll still have to find threads of greatest interest to you but, you'll be directly in the forum of most interest. :) No, not quite as "clean" as not having the forum headings in the first place but, still workable. :) :cool:

skip coyne
05-14-2006, 7:09 PM
As to user specfic forums I dont know but certain forums can be excluded from the general new post search with vBulletin software

at another board I frequent (also vBulletin ) the politcal discussions where gettting hot with a lot of complaints from those who couldnt ignore what they didnt want to read so the owner set up a forum called crossfire for such discussions

crossfire posts dont show up on the new post search

those that are intrested go to crossfire for discussions

John Miliunas
05-14-2006, 7:19 PM
As to user specfic forums I dont know but certain forums can be excluded from the general new post search with vBulletin software

at another board I frequent (also vBulletin ) the politcal discussions where gettting hot with a lot of complaints from those who couldnt ignore what they didnt want to read so the owner set up a forum called crossfire for such discussions

crossfire posts dont show up on the new post search

those that are intrested go to crossfire for discussions

Skip, I'm not familiar with the features within vBulletin but, in this case, I do believe that individual users would prefer to setup their own preferences on an individual basis. I'm assuming that on that other forum, the admin probably made another forum for the political stuff but, didn't include it in the new posts search globally. It's something vBulletin would have to add as a feature for individuals to setup in their "user cp". :) :cool:

Ken Garlock
05-14-2006, 8:30 PM
Over on the VBulletin site there is a thread that addresses the need for a user being able to "Ignore a Forum (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89142)". It is in the "under consideration" thread, you might just take a look.

Matt Meiser
05-14-2006, 8:43 PM
Over on the VBulletin site there is a thread that addresses the need for a user being able to "Ignore a Forum (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89142)". It is in the "under consideration" thread, you might just take a look.

Keith and Aaron--it looks like someone has written a plug-in to do this. If you look at the last page of the thread Ken linked to, there is a link to the description of the plugin. Not sure if it is exactly what everyone is asking for, but maybe close?

Bruce Page
05-14-2006, 10:58 PM
Keith and Aaron--it looks like someone has written a plug-in to do this. If you look at the last page of the thread Ken linked to, there is a link to the description of the plugin. Not sure if it is exactly what everyone is asking for, but maybe close?

That was an interesting read.