PDA

View Full Version : Oliver lathe restoration...final update

Steve Ash
05-12-2006, 9:39 PM
This afternoon Steve Jr. got done a bit early from work and picked up what he needed to finish hooking up the electrical controls. We had been using it plugged into a wall socket temporarily so this was the final step to finishing up the restoration. I wasn't able to use the box I showed in a earlier post since it was too small for the needed "goodies".

Steve Jr. is an electrician and is currently working at a new Kellogg's factory hooking up their electrical devices so this was old hat to him. I am very happy he learned how to do this even though at the time he left my employment I was a bit disappointed he decided to leave the family business of building homes. Looks like someone taught him well.

This is the final update to my restoration process, Thanks for looking.

Corey Hallagan
05-12-2006, 9:44 PM
Well lucky you Steve. Hey think of it this way, he got some great training and maybe some day he will rejoin you or be one of your subs that you can trust! Looks great Steve!

Corey

Tom Hamilton
05-12-2006, 9:50 PM
Steve, not only is he smart, handsome and a tribute to the family, he wears a great hat! :D

Hope your weekend is great, Tom, in Texas, wishing he had a hat like that.

Barry Stratton
05-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Allright, now that is what I call ART!!! Keep posting pics of Ollie getting dirty.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-12-2006, 11:53 PM
Don't be too disappointed Dad! Maybe he wanted to do something on his own. Maybe he had other interests and talents........as stated earlier....maybe oneday he'll come back as one of your subs......If he's enjoying his new profession.....he's making a living .....he's contributing to society and he's happy..........Be happy for him! And.........be proud....You did a good job Dad!

John Miliunas
05-13-2006, 12:04 AM
Hmmmm...A gray box???? :confused: I'm kinda' thinkin' Green 'n Gold with a big fat white "G" in the middle???? :D Great job, Steve Jr.! You may not be in your dad's business but, we all know how proud he is of you and your accomplishments! :) (BTW, how did that pen turn out, which you were working on when I was talking to Sr.???) Anyhow, I'm sure both of you guys will enjoy that beauty of a spinner!!! :) :cool:

Frank Chaffee
05-13-2006, 12:18 AM
Steve,
It’s been great watching the rejuv of your Ollie!
It looks to be time and money very, very well invested.
Thanks,
Frank

tod evans
05-13-2006, 5:41 AM
nice job both of you!

Steve Ash
05-13-2006, 7:11 AM
(BTW, how did that pen turn out, which you were working on when I was talking to Sr.???)

I'll let you be the judge...he made the top one out of zebrawood and the bottom one out of cherry.

Thanks for the words about Jr becoming an electrician. I am very proud of his accomplishments and am long over the dissapointment of him leaving to go on to other things...just as my dad got over me leaving the family farm to become a builder.:D :cool:

John Hart
05-13-2006, 7:14 AM
Looks great Steve! Maybe this is a good thread for the Before/After shots?:)

Very impressive job...start to finish!

John Miliunas
05-13-2006, 8:06 AM
Hey Steve, tell JR he done good!!! :D

Then, I had a thought; (Yes, it did hurt a bit, but....:rolleyes: ) With that BIG electrical box, wouldn't it just be way, way too cool if you rigged up a tach in there??? Complete with a redline and all???? :D :D :D :cool:

Steve Ash
05-13-2006, 8:17 AM
With that BIG electrical box, wouldn't it just be way, way too cool if you rigged up a tach in there??? Complete with a redline and all???? :D :D :D :cool:

Trust me my friend, I had given it a lot of consideration and if I hadn't given away a nice Sun Tach to my brother Dennis that puppy would have been mounted in that spot. Must be we think alike...that could be dangerous!:D

John Miliunas
05-13-2006, 8:42 AM
Trust me my friend, I had given it a lot of consideration and if I hadn't given away a nice Sun Tach to my brother Dennis that puppy would have been mounted in that spot. Must be we think alike...that could be dangerous!:D

Dangerous??? Nawwww...Great minds think alike!!! :D :cool:

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-13-2006, 10:41 AM
Dangerous??? Nawwww...Great minds think alike!!! :D :cool:

Maybe so, but where do you two come in............:confused:

Just funning!

Looks great Steve, and Sparkys are good people, I'm one of the very few in my family, on both sides, that did not go into the trade, learned a lot about it, but never cut my ticket.

Now get a big hunk of wood on there and see what that puppy can do!

:D

John Miliunas
05-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Maybe so, but where do you two come in............:confused:

OK, so I may be the odd man out in that combination but, at least, give me credit for aspiring to get to Steve's level! :D :cool:

John Hart
05-13-2006, 12:37 PM
After fighting with pics a bit and email not delivering, Steve and I came up with a plan...."How 'bout if that Hart guy posts the before and after pics?" A task I am happy to execute.

So here they are. Before and After. You have to guess which ones are which.:D

John Miliunas
05-13-2006, 12:59 PM
Wow! What a turnaround! (Pun intended!:p) New paint, chrome, electricals, even has wheels! Hmmmm....Wonder how long before he does find a tach for that? :D Hey, wait a minute: Where's the Hurst shifter handle??? :confused: Oooooooooo...or a Mopar style slapstick handle on the rear tailstock lock???:D :cool:

Pete Jordan
05-13-2006, 5:50 PM
Is that my pen blank!!!!

Steve Ash
05-13-2006, 10:45 PM
Is that my pen blank!!!!

Oops, sorry Pete....:D

No I still got your pen blank safe and sound, along with a couple of bowl blanks. :cool:

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-13-2006, 11:32 PM
Ya done real good Steve, but you know that.

Thanks for sharing this adventure with us all, and even involving us with the pait color poll.

You have one heck of a machine there!

Cheers!

Doug Thompson
05-14-2006, 1:34 AM
Steve, I've watched this rebuild from the start and as a machine repairman I understand all the time and effort you put into this. Oliver makes a great machine period.

You done good,
Doug