PDA

View Full Version : Pulling the plug is hard to do. OR Out with the old, in with the older.

Jeff Horton
05-12-2006, 7:52 PM
It hard to pull the plug on an old friend, even when it's just temporary. But I pulled the plug on the J-line today. She has been put in stasis for a couple of weeks if I am lucky. In her place now sits the rebuilt DeWalt RAS using her life support line to the power grid.

Now with the restoration done on the RAS the task I have been dreading most must be done. A total rearrangement of my shop. I mean EVERYTHING is moving at some point.

The DeWalt goes where the J-Line was. The two Crapsman RAS saws come out of the shop. The outfeed tables (see photo) must be cut down to fit the new saw. That means I have to clean them off. Look at the stuff under there. A ton of cutoffs and useful short pieces, tools, etc. Just dread even starting cleaning!

Also means that new electrical will have to run to the 220V machines. It just overwhelming to look at it all. :o Just have to remember I will have more space and a really good turning area with the sharpening station right that at the lathe.

:( That didn't help. Man I dread this next week or two. I feel turning withdrawals coming on already! Wonder how long that 220V extension cord I was given is???? ;)

Bob Noles
05-12-2006, 8:09 PM
Hi Jeff.....

I feel your pain. I just completed a 3 week shop rehab last weekend and did it ever feel good to be able to plug the tools in again.

Jim Ketron
05-12-2006, 8:44 PM
I'm doing some rearranging myself!
Hope to have it done tomorrow so I can get back to turning!

Christopher K. Hartley
05-12-2006, 8:54 PM
Words of comfort: "Start with the end in mind"; Stay FOCUSED on the result!; "Energy and Action Follow Thought"; ;)

Corey Hallagan
05-12-2006, 9:24 PM
Jeff, good luck and it will be worth it!

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
05-12-2006, 9:31 PM
Jeff I feel your pain. It will be worth it in the long run.

Jeff Horton
05-12-2006, 10:23 PM
I have no choice. Once I get all the machines restored there is no way they fit the way I have it. Of course I never expected to stumble into all this old iron at one time either.

Plus I need dust collection with my allergies so I want to get it in place but I need the machines in place ......

So far so good. I thought were going somewhere tonight but SWoM canceled so I tackled the first outfeed. table I have one RAS out and the Miter saw out. TONS of dust cleaned up and the table almost ready to take apart.

John Hart
05-13-2006, 6:38 AM
Jeff...I really feel your pain. All my stuff has to move 50 miles...I'm tearing everything apart now and won't be able to turn anything until the move is complete. 60 days and counting.:(

Jim Becker
05-13-2006, 10:41 AM
Shop rearrangements can be fun! (and if not, you can be assured that they will revisit you from time to time, anyway...)

Jeff Horton
05-13-2006, 10:59 AM
Shop rearrangements can be fun!

I am still waiting on the fun to start! :rolleyes: :confused:

I have sketched this out and rearranged it several times on the computer. I think (I hope) I have it right.

Still haven't settled on a place for the new planer and jointer. But maybe I need to "see" the space to decide on those. I have moved to to about ever corner of the shop..... nothing clicks. Mobile bases are starting to look like the best option for these two pieces.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-13-2006, 12:01 PM
Jeff, set goals, do it in small bites, really, if you try to do the whole re-arrange as one job, you will have a long slog, instead set up shorter goals for each time you do a session.

Look, I went from this....
http://www.ablett.jp/graphics_jpgs_pics/workshop/shop4.jpg

...to this.....

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/dungeon_after.jpg

.... in a relatively short time.

You can do it, take lots of pics!

Cheers!

Pat Salter
05-14-2006, 8:02 PM
I'm just glad you live on the other side of the country. That way I have an excuse for not coming over to help:D good luck buddy. I'll keep my J-line warm and running for you!

Jeff Horton
05-14-2006, 8:47 PM
I'm just glad you live on the other side of the country.

If you did I would be in your shop tonight turning! I just got off the lawn mower and I am cold and it tried to rain on me. Crazy weather here this spring! Anyway, I park the mower just inside the shop and as I was walking though I was really wishing I could turn something. Of course I can barely get to the lathe right now. Don't know where my tools either.

Good thing is I have the DeWalt in place and one of the extension tables done. Turned into a much harder job than I expected. Had to cut the table height down. While I was at it I decided to add another shelf. Then I found out the table wasn't flat so I had to shim it up. I bet I spend 6 hours on that one table!

Tomorrow night I start on the second one.:rolleyes: Himm I think a coffee would be good about now. If nothing else it can warm up my hands!

Don Baer
05-14-2006, 10:58 PM
Jeff,
I feel your pain. I am in the process of selling my house in California to move to Arizona. I moved the table saw and all of my bigger flat works tools to my sons house in preperation for the move but kept the lathe and bandsaw in California so I could at lest turn a few pieces. I'll move them when the californiua house sells, just before we close escrow in this one and move the truning tools then. At lest I can visit my Az tools are at my sons house when I go there about every other week. Hopefully I'll have the new shop and house built by thanksgiving..:(

Corey Hallagan
05-14-2006, 11:52 PM
Keep at it Jeff, soon you will be standing at that lathe spinning something cool and you will have a great looking shop!

corey

Jeff Horton
05-16-2006, 8:59 PM
To my surprise the shop upheaval is going MUCH quicker than I expected. As you can see from the photo it's looks pretty good. Still lots of 'stuff' out that needs to be put up or hasn't found a home yet.

I like the looks of this arrangement but of course I have not worked in it yet. But I think I am going to really like it. Wood flows from the rack right to the planer and JOinter. Then over to the RAS and Table saw. Lots of floor space and assembly table is close by.

http://www.kudzupatch.com/temp/shop2.jpg

Very impressed with how fast this has gone. And amazed at how much saw dust and how many spiders were hiding in, around and under stuff!

It's a good feeling!

Of course we don't want to talk about the other side of the shop. There is two lathes in there...... somewhere.

http://www.kudzupatch.com/temp/shop1.jpg