PDA

View Full Version : More Chittam turnings

Jack Wood
05-12-2006, 7:40 PM
Here are a few more Chittam items. The picture of the lidded bowl by the hat was the final finish, the others were in the first stages. The little cylinder (vase?) has a lot of character in it, but then most of this wood is a real treat to look at, raw or finished.

Christopher K. Hartley
05-12-2006, 7:45 PM
Nice work Jack, where does this chittam wood come from. I don't think I've ever heard of it.

Jack Wood
05-12-2006, 7:55 PM
Hi Christopher, this wood is mentioned in the Bible and goes by a few other names as well. There are several varieties of it and one of the more common names is the "American Smoke Tree". Do a Google search on it and you can learn more. I know that it grows in TX. If you can get your self some you will love how it works and looks, happy turning!:)

Jeff Horton
05-12-2006, 7:59 PM
Hey Jack, I have a small piece of (what is supposed to be) chittam wood on my desk. The fellow that gave it to me told me that is grows near you, over on Montasano Mtn. Never have tried to find out it was true. I just have kept it on my desk for years now.

Jack Wood
05-12-2006, 8:04 PM
Hi Jeff! Well belive it or not the Chittam I have did come from MonteSano Mtn! The legend is that it only grows here on tjhis mountain and in the Holy Land, but it actually grows across the US, nice tale though!:)

John Timberlake
05-12-2006, 8:12 PM
Very nice work. Love the look of the wood. Great grain.

Corey Hallagan
05-12-2006, 8:37 PM
Wow, that sure is pretty stuff. Nice work Jack!! You been a busy boy!

Corey

Jack Wood
05-12-2006, 8:43 PM
Thanks Corey, you know how it goes, you just have these turning binges! Help me before I turn again!!!!:p

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
05-13-2006, 2:56 AM
Jack---

It could be worse. You could be a wood addict. I've heard of folks who have it so bad that even though they have a stack of roughouts that will last them a year and more, and a pile of raw wood for at least that period of time, will still collect more. I even think someone at AAW is starting a support group... :)

Lovely box, Jack. It reminds me of a jellybean jar in its shape. The wood is set off beautifully by the form.

John Hart
05-13-2006, 7:22 AM
Your binge has been quite the treat for the rest of us Jack. Nice work!!!! I like the story of the wood too.;) :)

Glenn Hodges
05-13-2006, 4:15 PM
Jack, that wood and your work is beautiful. What size are the pieces you made? Do you have any pictures of the tree? Thanks for telling us about the tree.

Jack Wood
05-14-2006, 6:57 AM
Hi Glenn, here's a good picture of it. As you can see the trunk and roots of this tree are very gnarly! Lots of twisty grain. I have used it to turn bowls up to 6" in diameter and have resawn it unto flat wood to make jewelry boxes and the like, it's a great wood. Happy turning!

Glenn Hodges
05-15-2006, 1:26 PM
Thanks Jack, I haven't seen any of that, but I will be on the look out for it.

Mike Ramsey
05-15-2006, 4:31 PM
Great looking box Jack! Love the color!

It could be worse. You could be a wood addict. I've heard of folks who have it so bad that even though they have a stack of roughouts that will last them a year and more, and a pile of raw wood for at least that period of time, will still collect more. I even think someone at AAW is starting a support group..:)

That's funny, the president of our turning club has 2 huge storage
buildings full from floor to the ceilings with dried rough-outs. He said
that if he quit rough turning today he doubted that he could finish turn
everything he has before he dies :(.

Reed Gray
05-15-2006, 7:39 PM
Out here in Oregon, we have a wood that is also called 'chittum' (or with a em, im, am). It is also known as cascara. The many kids here used to strip the bark and sell it. It was used as a laxitive. Nice wood, orangish in color, and smells something like pumpkins. The name chittum came from, well, use your imagionation...
robo hippy

Ernie Nyvall
05-16-2006, 2:20 PM
Nice work Jack. That wood does look great.

Ernie

Robert York
02-25-2009, 6:58 PM
Hi Christopher, this wood is mentioned in the Bible and goes by a few other names as well. There are several varieties of it and one of the more common names is the "American Smoke Tree". Do a Google search on it and you can learn more. I know that it grows in TX. If you can get your self some you will love how it works and looks, happy turning!:)

You're thinking of Acacia "Shittum" wood. It's not the same.

American Smoke Tree ( Cotinus obovatus) is a common wood but it's root burl is very rare and one of the most beautiful burls to own.

Someone also mentioned Cascara. ( Rhamnus purshiana). It's sometimes called Chittam wood but Chittam usually refers to American Smoke Tree or Smoke Bush.

Robert York
02-25-2009, 7:04 PM
Here are a few more Chittam items. The picture of the lidded bowl by the hat was the final finish, the others were in the first stages. The little cylinder (vase?) has a lot of character in it, but then most of this wood is a real treat to look at, raw or finished.

Absolutely love the turnings. What a beautiful wood. I love the chatoyancy quality of it.

Allen Neighbors
02-26-2009, 12:05 AM
That is beautiful wood. You did well, Jack.
On the subject of Shittim wood, (pronounced She-teem') of the Bible, is actually Acacia wood. KJV Exodus 25:10 And they shall make an ark of shittim wood: two cubits and a half shall be the length thereof, and a cubit and a half the breadth thereof, and a cubit and a half the height thereof.
It does grow all over the US, I guess... I got a 12" dia x 26" piece of the trunk of a tree that grew in Apache, Oklahoma. It is extremely hard wood, with grain that goes in every direction, and it actually looks a lot different than that in your photos...
All I have left of it are a couple of eggs that I turned from it a couple of years ago. I'll try to get a picture or two, close up, to show the grain, tomorrow, if anyone is interested.

Robert York
02-27-2009, 1:11 AM
It's just gorgeous wood.