PDA

View Full Version : Old jointer and small gloat

Alex Shanku
05-12-2006, 6:42 PM
Well, I was finally able to make it to the freight terminal to pick up the old powermatic jointer I purchased. Here are a few pics of the before and after. I took about 3 hours today to sand and clean the surfaces, as well as remove the beds and clean and lube.

Pics:
Before

Alex Shanku
05-12-2006, 6:44 PM
Some more images

Alex Shanku
05-12-2006, 6:47 PM
Now, the somewhat improved pics.

Alex Shanku
05-12-2006, 6:48 PM
And the last pics, plus a small gloat: My PC spray gun arrived today.

Corey Hallagan
05-12-2006, 6:57 PM
Congrats on the new..well old equipment and enjoy!

corey

Bob Noles
05-12-2006, 8:02 PM
Nice job Alex. Looks like your brought it back to life and can get some wonderful use from it.

Craig Stueve
05-12-2006, 8:10 PM
Now, the somewhat improved pics.

That's more than "somewhat improved" by a long shot.

Looks great.

Craig

Doyle Alley
05-12-2006, 8:17 PM
Great work. Are you going to be able to do anything about the cutter head? I would imagine that it would be hard to get to without taking it out completely.

John Bush
05-12-2006, 8:56 PM
Great work Alex. I'd like to hear the history of how you scored on the jointer. Thanks, John.

lou sansone
05-12-2006, 9:35 PM
looks great.. doesn't just kill you when you see rust like that? it should be a crime
lou

Jim Becker
05-12-2006, 9:36 PM
Nice cleanup! Great machine.

Seth Poorman
05-13-2006, 12:38 AM
Hey Alex
Nice Jointer , I have a old Powermatic (Green Machine) too! :D
My joiner was made in 1979 . I think the first two digets of your serial # are the year of Mfr.;)

John Miliunas
05-13-2006, 8:40 AM
Alex, you've given that beast a second life!!! :D Plus, you'll be using a piece built when Powermatic was pretty much the standard by which others were judged. Good job! Enjoy. :) :cool:

Alex Shanku
05-13-2006, 10:45 AM
Good morning fellas,

Thanks for the kind words!

Regarding this jointer: I bought it from a gov't auction, unseen, except for a few pictures on their website. Price was just right, and adding in shipping, I still made out cheaper than purchasing something new.

Disassembly was surprisingly easy. The cutter head is held in place by two bolts, and once the beds were lowered out of the way, it just lifts out. I have cleaned that up, too, and will be buying new knives soon. The main problem I saw that the previous owners caused was that they set the two collars on the infeed threaded rod, and not on the lower portion of the shaft, which is smooth. This obviously messed up the threads, and prevented the bed from moving. After running a 1/2 13 die down the rod, and chasing out the nut, things were moving smooth again.

Maybe when I get some time I will repaint it, but I am more interested in jointing some boards, as soon as I wire up 220v to my garage.

Again, thanks for looking!

Al

Bruce Page
05-13-2006, 11:30 AM
Alex, nice restoration job! Living in the desert southwest, we rarely see rust like that, it certainly would have scared me off from the sale. You’ve proven that their’s life after rust!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-13-2006, 12:09 PM
Boy did you snatch a gem from the rough there!

VERY nice work!

I did a similar thing on an old Japanese jointer I bought used, I take great satisfaction in bringing old tools to life, and the money I save sure helps too!:D

GREAT Job!

Brett Baldwin
05-13-2006, 2:25 PM
Nice work saving that jointer. I wouldn't worry about painting it either till you've gotten a few hundred bf through it.