PDA

View Full Version : Router plate recommendations

Jeff Cord
05-12-2006, 5:32 PM
I just purchased a Bosch router and plan to mount it on the end of my table saw.
I see a number of router plates on the market (Rockler, Rousseau, Woodpecker, Benchdog, etc).
Are any of these really better than the others or should I go on price?
Jeff

tod evans
05-12-2006, 5:41 PM
jeff, go to the local metal resaler and pick up a piece of 3/8-1/2 plate whatever size you`d like. it`s workable with a jigsaw and drill press unless you feel you need the "insert rings" that some manufacturers sell...02 tod

Jamie Buxton
05-12-2006, 5:46 PM
Avoid the one which is not flat -- maybe it is Rousseau? Maybe it isn't Rousseau, but some router plate mfg deliberately makes their plate curved! It is like making a table saw fence which is curved -- it does not work. I bought it without realizing the design mistake, and returned it.

Chris Padilla
05-12-2006, 5:54 PM
woodpecker's prl works nicely for moi.

scott spencer
05-12-2006, 7:20 PM
I recently picked up a phenolic plate from Hartville Tool that I'm pretty happy with. It levels nicely, is flat, and has a starting pin. I'm impressed with how well the insert fits into the plate.

"Hart Design Router Plate

This 9"x 12" x 3/8" router table plate has a patented leveling system to insure a perfect flush fit. Standard snap out center disk accepts Porter-Cable style template bushings. Reference grid on the bottom of the plate makes router attachment easy. Has two mounting slots for adding our optional Freehand Guard. Tough composite construction. Brass Starting Pin included. Requires 7/16" deep x 1/2" wide rabbet for installation. Make zero clearance inserts with the optional blank disk. USA

Predrilled Plates Available! - We are now pleased to offer plates pre-drilled to fit many popular router models. Save the time and hassle of drilling it yourself and rest assured knowing your router is mounted dead center. Blank plate available for all other models."

glenn bradley
05-12-2006, 7:24 PM
My Rockler is OK but seems pricey at $50. It's 3/8" thick but is not as flat as I think they could have gotten it for that price. I may try phenolic next time.

Bruce Benjamin
05-12-2006, 8:57 PM
I've been using the plate from Woodhaven. http://www.woodhaven.com/RouterPlates.aspx
Their plate levelers work great too. I like them because
when I cut out the hole in my table I didn't have to bother
routing out a rabbet for the plate to set in. The levelers
just screw onto the edge of the hole and the plate sits
on the levelers. Easy to adjust too. I somehow talked
them into drilling my plate for me for free too. Woodhaven
really has a lot of cool router stuff if you're into that sort
of thing. I am.

Bruce

Jake Helmboldt
05-12-2006, 10:58 PM
The Rousseau is the one w/ the built in crown. It is garbage, don't waste your money (like I did). They assured me the crown is actually a benefit since it ensures the stock is at the highest point as it passes over the bit.

Of course if you use a sled or have any wide stock, panels, perpendicular stock (ie. tenons) then it doesn't sit level. Pure POS. It is the one item I truly regret buying.

Jake

Allen Bookout
05-12-2006, 11:27 PM
Woodpeckers aluminum. Somewhat expensive but EXCELLENT quality.

http://www.woodpeck.com/aluminsert.html

If I did not need insert rings I would give Todd Evan's suggestion a try.

Vaughn McMillan
05-13-2006, 4:14 AM
I've got the Woodpeckers phenolic plate (couldn't swallow the cost of their aluminum version) and I've been real happy with it. Still wasn't cheap, but it's flat, and with the cutout template for another $10, the recess in my router table fits perfectly.

- Vaughn

Russ Massery
05-13-2006, 8:43 AM
I have there (Woodpeckers) plungelift for my M12V. I highly recommend it. A freind has there aluminum plate for is P.C. router he's very happy with it.

Tony Falotico
05-13-2006, 8:52 AM
Jeff, I have a Rousseau Phenolic I bought about ten yrs ago and never used, still in original bag. I use the Woodpecker PRL for my router and the aluminum plate for my PC OSS........

If your interested PM me an offer, pics available if you want.........

Tony