PDA

View Full Version : Turning Kingwood.....

Corey Hallagan
05-12-2006, 3:50 PM
Can anybody tell me the properties of Kingwood? I am getting ready to make a pen out of it and just wondering up front what kind of wood it is, chippy, hard or easy to turn etc.

Thanks!

Corey

Michael Stafford
05-12-2006, 5:30 PM
I have found it to turn like butter, similar to cocobolo. Another of my personal favorites for pens. I finally got nice big sticks of both kingwood and tulipwood large enough for boxes (3" square X 36" long). I am carefully seasoning both.

Corey Hallagan
05-12-2006, 5:44 PM
Thanks Mike, it is a beautiful wood. Glad it is a fun one to turn. I have found some 2 x 2 dry stock but nothing bigger.

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
05-12-2006, 9:38 PM
Corey you will like it. It turns super nice.

Rich Stewart
05-13-2006, 1:21 AM
I made a small vase out of some kingwood my son gave me for christmas. Turned really nice and finished looked like marble. I sanded it with micro-mesh and oil. That was all. Should make a beautiful pen.

Frank Fusco
05-15-2006, 9:43 AM
Made a pen from it, turns fine. Finishes nice too.

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-15-2006, 6:49 PM
I was at work today and we got a pack of 10 pieces of Kingwood pen blanks. I had to wipe the drool off the bag. That is some GOOD lookin' wood, but have never turned it.

Bruce

Corey Hallagan
05-15-2006, 8:59 PM
I have a blank all ready to go as soon as I get some time. Maybe Thurasday. Where yah work Bruce? Sounds like a sweet place to work!

Corey

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-16-2006, 1:12 AM
WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL CORY, would you believe WOODCRAFT!

Great bunch of guys here and the "Special" employee prices help alot!

I DO try to be objective with my observations about tools, etc. I tell customers that I won't make comments, if I haven't used it.

Today a guy came in with an umbrella pole that he wanted turned down to a smaller diameter. After I got off, I used one of the BIg VS Jet lathes to do it for him. Now THAT WAS SWEET! Oh well, couldn't get it into my little shop, but it is nice to have it to use, when necessary.

Bruce

Corey Hallagan
05-16-2006, 7:37 PM
Oh man, that would be a fun job Bruce. I am sure it is work sometimes!

corey

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-16-2006, 7:42 PM
Very seldom,Corey. I enjoy people and Woodworking. Got the best of both worlds here.

Bruce