PDA

View Full Version : safety item

Jerry Crawford
09-01-2003, 4:19 PM
Some time ago I rotated all my belt driven power tools over to link belt segmented power belts. I did the nickle test on my 10" Jet TS and was convinceed the new belts were the cat's meow. Less vibration and quieter running. There is a down side that I hadn't counted on when I put them on my band saw. The problem is my in-attention for just a few minutes and being in a hurry to do a job. I rolled out the saw from it's parked position (I have a small shop and everything is on wheels) and hit the switch never realizing my power cord had draped across the drive sheave on the back of the machine. The link belt made quick work of my power cord and I nearly had a real tradgity on my hands. Since a picture is worth a thousand ... I put a couple of pictures on my web site for you to view.

http://www.out-backeam.com/Safety.htm

Link belt type drive belts are really worth the money changing over but they can be abrasive.

Warren White
09-01-2003, 6:01 PM
www.out-backeam.com\Safety.htm

Jerry,
I think the 'slash' between "com" and "Safety" should be "/" The link as posted didn't work, but I made the substitution to find your post.

Warren

Jerry Crawford
09-01-2003, 6:15 PM
www.out-backeam.com\Safety.htm

Jerry,
I think the 'slash' between "com" and "Safety" should be "/" The link as posted didn't work, but I made the substitution to find your post.

Warren

hmm :confused: I just tried it and it worked OK for me the way it was posted with the (\) back slash. Anyhow, if you were able to see the pic's that's the important part.

Ken Salisbury
09-01-2003, 8:49 PM
hmm :confused: I just tried it and it worked OK for me the way it was posted with the (\) back slash. Anyhow, if you were able to see the pic's that's the important part.

I edited the original post and fixed the link.

Charles McKinley
09-02-2003, 11:01 AM
Hi Jerry,

It looks like it is time to design a guard for the belt drive on thet piece of IRON. What saw is it? It looks like it is very heavy.

Bill Grumbine
09-02-2003, 12:25 PM
Hi Jerry

I am glad to see it was only a material thing and not fingers. Looking at your pictures reminded me of the time I dragged my plastic coil air hose past the grinder while it was still spinning down. Boy did THAT make a lot of noise when the wheel finally ate through the hose (which only took about 1 second)!

Bill

Jerry Crawford
09-03-2003, 12:54 AM
Hi Jerry,

It looks like it is time to design a guard for the belt drive on thet piece of IRON. What saw is it? It looks like it is very heavy.

:D boy did you just push my button :p let me tell you about MY band saw!

It's an old Rockwell Delta 14" w/extension about 1960's. I came across it for $200 in a failed woodworkers shop sale in some small town near Boulder Colorado about 6 years ago whilst visiting son at Christmas. Luckly, I had a small morotcycle trailer with me (having just delivered a bike to son). I strapped the saw on the trailer with lot's of load binders and headed home, to Maine - did I mention it was Christmas?

On the way back we hit, maybe, three snow storms. Southern Maine, of course, had been blasted by a NorEaster while we were gone. By the time we pulled into our drive this poor saw was a real mess, It had been almost a basket case to start with and I had to stow it in the garage till spring before I could get back at it and do a complete renovation/restoration. But it was a labor of love and in a few weeks I had a beautifully restored and functional band saw. (Wish I could find those pictures :rolleyes: ).

The saw actually had a very well crafted wood base when I got it but the pully cover wouldn't fit when I re-motored the saw with a larger HP engine and sheave combination - along with the link belts. And, you're correct, it is a lot heavier than modern saws being of the vintage, all cast iron heritage.

Looking back, I know I could have walked into any Woodworkers Outlet and bought a modern equivelent 14" but I'm really glad I waited and had the enjoyment of hunting, recovering, rebuilding and renovating this saw. It's an item I can pass onto one of my heirs and I enjoy using it about every day. I just posted another pictuer of it on the above URL link sitting in my (unusually) clean shop.