PDA

View Full Version : TS Motor Isolation?

glenn bradley
05-12-2006, 3:22 PM
Picture a 30-odd year old craftsman TS. I've added MDF extensions (one is a router table) and support legs. Dropped a ninty pound sack of cement in the base of the stand for mass. Added a link belt.

I'm now considering putting an old mouse pad (wet suit material) between the motor base plate and the saw's motor mounting plate to further reduce vibration. Am I looking for trouble by allowing the motor to dissapate some of it's vibration through the mat? Am I better to keep the ridgid mounting?

All humble opinions appreciated.

Howard Acheson
05-12-2006, 4:30 PM
How bad is the virbration? What have you done to isolate the source of the vibration? How do you know the motor is a source of vibration?

Rarely is the motor the culprit. If it is, it should be either repaired or replaced.

Have you replaced the v-pulleys? They can be a significant source of vibration.

When it's all said and done, maybe you need a new saw.

Frank Chaffee
05-12-2006, 5:44 PM
Glenn,
Some things to check:
• Alignment. The two pulleys should be on a plane.
• Pulleys. Machined and balanced pulleys are preferable.
• Belt length. Too long or short a belt will not be optimally tensioned by the weight of the motor.
Hope this helps.

Frank

Bruce Wrenn
05-12-2006, 9:43 PM
I had a 1986 Craftsman saw. The motor mounting plate was hinged at the bottom. If looking at it from side, you would say mounting plate was at either eleven or one o'clock position. I took piviot pin out, turned mounting plate over and remounted so plate was just a little below horizontal, similar to how Delts CS motors are mounted. This made a world of difference. Plus, you no longer had to loosen/tighten that bolt in the adjustment slot that was on motor mounting plate.

glenn bradley
05-12-2006, 9:57 PM
The motor itself vibrates when removed from the saw. My 1945 Craftsman runs like glass. I'm pretty good at talking myself into getting new stuff . . . hmmm. I just can't see tossing another motor and machined pulleys at this TS when I've had my eye on the 22124. I'm not a Craftsman junkie or anything but this hybrid keeps getting good reviews and winning the hybrid bake-offs. Although I did just get my taxes back and a good cabinet saw would cure this problem for life. . . hmmm.

glenn bradley
05-12-2006, 9:58 PM
I'll try the motor plate reversal trick for now, thanks much!

Jeff Horton
05-12-2006, 10:02 PM
The motor itself vibrates when removed from the saw.

Motors shouldn't vibrate, there is something wrong with the motor then. Need to take it to a motor shop or replace it.