PDA

View Full Version : Cats and moving blankets

Kirk (KC) Constable
05-12-2006, 11:08 AM
What in the world causes cats to wanna pee on moving blankets?!?

It doesn't matter if they're new or old, washed or not...when either of my two cats sees a moving blanket, they MUST pee on it. I can't leave a moving blanket anywhere in plain sight for more than three minutes. Whether it's in the back of the truck because I just hauled something, or in the spare bedroom because I've got something covered up...they will BOTH run to it even though they normally hate each other and pee. Both females, if that matters.

I have some old bedspreads I also use for covering things up. They NEVER peed on these while they were bedspreads, but now that I use them along with moviing blankets, they have to pee on 'em as soon as and as often as possible.

I know there are more important things to worry about, but this is really drving me batty! :mad:

KC

Joe Pelonio
05-12-2006, 11:17 AM
I don't know, but we once had one that would pee and MORE in the dryer if we left blankets in it with the door open. Luckily the smell would tell us about it before we'd grab them.

Lee DeRaud
05-12-2006, 11:23 AM
What are they stuffed with?

tod evans
05-12-2006, 11:34 AM
What are they stuffed with?

the cats or the blankets?

Matt Meiser
05-12-2006, 11:40 AM
I don't know, but we once had one that would pee and MORE in the dryer if we left blankets in it with the door open. Luckily the smell would tell us about it before we'd grab them.

You could solve that problem by closing the door with him inside and turning it on. I bet he wouldn't do it again.

Kyle Kraft
05-12-2006, 12:33 PM
I love cats...I just can't eat a whole one.

Kyle in K'zoo

Wes Bischel
05-12-2006, 1:00 PM
the cats or the blankets?

Too funny!!

Thank goodness I didn't have a mouthful of soda!:D I'm sure it would have gone right through my nose!:eek:

Wes

John Miliunas
05-12-2006, 1:23 PM
Too funny!!

Thank goodness I didn't have a mouthful of soda!:D I'm sure it would have gone right through my nose!:eek:

Wes
:eek: I did have a mouthful of soda when I read that! :mad: :D :cool:

Alain Tellier
05-12-2006, 1:43 PM
Well cats love to own things... they set up their territory and anything caught up in it, is theirs... As a matter of fact in their mind, they own your house ( they don't give squat about the bills but still... ) they just tolerate you in their environnement.

My guess, is that if your moving blankets are carrried away to all sorts of places and back to your house, they will smell funny... they will smell like elsewhere. Cats then need to leave their sent on it to make things right, sort of:

"We claim this piece of fleace in the name of Felin-omia... psssst" :o

Also cats are known for the strangest behaviour so I could be totally off here.

Larry Klaaren
05-12-2006, 2:08 PM
I agree with Alain, it's a way of claiming territory. To aggravate the problem, once something gets "marked" they want to keep it marked for their own self. So if you get some new smells on it, they will remark it.

At first I thought you meant blankets that were "moving" as in being dragged across the floor. Quite a picture.

Plus, cats are cats. Cats do what cats want to do. You won't see Cesar Millan getting cats to subject their will to his. If he wrote a book about working with cats he'd have to call it "Their Way."

Can you tell I'm a dog person?

Larry

Jim O'Dell
05-12-2006, 2:23 PM
I guess I just read thing differently...I envisioned you dragging a blanket behind you and the cats jumping on it and peeing while the were riding it!! :D Warped, yes it is... Jim

Bob Weisner
05-12-2006, 5:02 PM
Never get rid of the smell once they do that.

Vaughn McMillan
05-12-2006, 5:11 PM
Two letters, one word:

BB Gun :D

Gotta agree with Kyle about loving cats. Properly roasted, they're delish!

- Vaughn

Vaughn McMillan
05-12-2006, 5:14 PM
Plus, cats are cats. Cats do what cats want to do. You won't see Cesar Millan getting cats to subject their will to his. If he wrote a book about working with cats he'd have to call it "Their Way."

That's a priceless quote, Larry. I'm gonna have to share that with LOML, who's a bigtime Cesar Millan fan. :)

- Vaughn

Tim Solley
05-12-2006, 5:26 PM
Kirk,

I have four cats, thanks to my wife. We've had our share of cat urine related issues. As others have said, once something is marked, they'll continue to mark it to reclaim it. The solution to that is to remove the original scent so they don't realize they've peed there before.

We have a product that does just that, kills pet urine odor. It's worked great for us, though I don't know the name of it. You could find it in any Petsmart or Petco I'm sure. What my wife does when a cat pees on a blanket or something is to just pour some of it in the washer while washing it. Or you can spot treat it with a pump sprayer.

Tim

Tim Solley
05-12-2006, 5:28 PM
That's a priceless quote, Larry. I'm gonna have to share that with LOML, who's a bigtime Cesar Millan fan. :)

- Vaughn

Better keep LOYL away from the news. Ol' Cesar is being sued for messing up some TV producer's dog.

Tim

Lucas Jackson
05-13-2006, 12:41 AM
talking about haunted blankets.:o:D:D

Dennis Peacock
05-13-2006, 10:31 AM
Wow.....!!!! At the things we learn on a forum. :eek: :confused: :)

Pretty good read though.:D

Michael Gibbons
05-13-2006, 10:40 AM
No highjacking intended but since we are on the marking territory thread, Why do dogs pee on tires? I can go to the car wash, come back and in no time flat he's lifting his leg! Ruins a perfectly good armor-all job.

Larry Klaaren
05-13-2006, 1:48 PM
Better keep LOYL away from the news. Ol' Cesar is being sued for messing up some TV producer's dog.

Tim

Don't want to change the thread topic but . . . can you give me a little more information so I can google on this? You can p.m. if you want.

Larry

Curt Fuller
05-13-2006, 3:18 PM
They leave P-mail everywhere, come back occasionally to check it, and reply.

Frank Chaffee
05-13-2006, 4:30 PM
Kirk,
It could well be territorial marking. Moving blankets, being very thick may retain odors that cats can detect even after being washed.

At first I thought you meant blankets that were "moving" as in being dragged across the floor. Quite a picture.
Once when staying as guests with friends who had a playful young kitty, gf and I had our feet repeated attacked thru the night whenever we moved them. A bit of cat pizz may have gone unnoticed until morning, but the bites to our toes woke us time and time again!

My all time favorite cat (save for the one we have now), Vida Blue, was a nutless wonder… that is he never caught on that he was castrated, and he went on laying his territorial claims as if nothing had happened. One morning I awoke to him spraying the prime real estate in my bedroom (books, at that time), and to this day thirty years later I bear the scar on my right inner wrist where he sought to hold on to me as I threw him as far into the woods as I could. I would not hurt an animal; I knew that he would land and bound away and be just fine, but the act was certainly impassioned.

Frank

Dave Fifield
05-13-2006, 5:06 PM
We learned our lesson with our first cat years ago - darned thing peed everywhere in the house, and scratched up the furniture. We never let the current batch in - they are outdoor cats. Neutered, jabbed and registered, tame and friendly, but outdoors.

Dave F.