PDA

View Full Version : planer: 22-580 or 735

Mark Pruitt
05-12-2006, 10:42 AM
Please accept my apologies for bringing up this well-worn, seemingly everlasting topic. But, Has anyone noticed any visible difference in quality of cut between the Delta 22-580 and the DeWalt 735?

I have already searched forum archives looking for opinions and information. I am about ready to pull the trigger on a new planer after deciding "enough!" for my old snipemaster.

The answer to my question would probably be the deciding factor between these two planers for me. Given the price I found for a new 22-580, the Delta plus a DC hood is $100 less than the DeWalt. I would not hesitate to pay the extra $100 if the quality of cut was noticeably better. But I'm also not itching to get rid of money I don't need to spend.

TIA,
Mark

Tim Solley
05-12-2006, 10:54 AM
I have the Delta, and quite honestly, I don't know the Dewalt could possibly put any smoother of a finish on a board. It comes as smooth as I think any planer possibly could. I've never used the Dewalt though, just my opinion.

Tim

Alan Tolchinsky
05-12-2006, 12:22 PM
Mark, I have the Delta and it's always worked just about perfectly. With the two sppeds my board come out so smooth you almost don't have to sand. I'd get the Dewalt only if you are not happy unless you have the newest toy on the block.

Helen Gee
05-12-2006, 12:44 PM
I have the Delta and I love it. First time we sent a board through, I was absolutely amazed at the glass smooth finish.

Wes Bischel
05-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Broken record here - Delta as well and it has performed well - no excellent. I don't think you can go wrong with either unit. One issue to consider is knife life/replacement cost. I thought I read somewhere that there was an aftermarket company selling knives for the Dewalt - sorry, can't remember where. I know some have had to replace the knives on the Delta sooner than they though they should - I have not had that experience myself though. Hopefully the Dewalt owners will chime in as well to give their opinion.

Wes

Ken Belisle
05-12-2006, 12:56 PM
I've had the Delta for a couple of years and am completely satisfied with it. There are times where the finish comes out so good at the higher feed rate, that I don't even bother with using the slower one. I have never used the DeWalt, but I can't imagine it producing a better quality finish.

glenn bradley
05-12-2006, 1:09 PM
Woodsmith or Worbench mag, I believe, recently did a review of planers in this catagory. The 735 was praised as with the optional dust hood there was excellent dust control. They did dog theplaner however for having 'optional' infeed/outfeed tables (they felt these were absolutly required) and dust hood.

scott spencer
05-12-2006, 1:26 PM
Satisfied 580 owner here as well. The 735 does have some feature advantages, but as far as cut quality goes, doubt there will be much of a longterm difference. Once the blades get dinged and dulled, most boards need a touch up sanding anyway.

I'd buy the better value of the two...which is usually the 22-580 but not always, unless you find the chip ejector worth a premium to you.

Rob Bodenschatz
05-12-2006, 2:20 PM
Funny you ask since I've been going back & forth on the two as well. I had decided on the DeWalt and ordered it about six weeks ago. Reconditioned from Tyler Tools. $327, free shipping. Great price. Now I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever get it. They said they have no idea when it'll ship. When I saw Amazon had the Delta on sale for $306 I almost jumped. Anyway...

Hold on a second, Fed Ex just pulled up.

It's here! It's here! My planer is here!!! Sorry, gotta go.

Mark Pruitt
05-12-2006, 2:59 PM
When I saw Amazon had the Delta on sale for $306 I almost jumped.

I saw that too, and just wondered where is the rat or am I smelling one that isn't there? You know the saying, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true.

Rob Bodenschatz
05-12-2006, 3:04 PM
I saw that too, and just wondered where is the rat or am I smelling one that isn't there? You know the saying, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true.

There's no rat. At least I don't think so. Amazon does deals like that all the time. Sometimes, it'll only be up there for a few hours. This one says: "While supplies last" so maybe they're discontinuing the model?

Tim Solley
05-12-2006, 3:17 PM
There's no rat. At least I don't think so. Amazon does deals like that all the time. Sometimes, it'll only be up there for a few hours. This one says: "While supplies last" so maybe they're discontinuing the model?

Yep, no rat. I bought my Delta from a similar deal on Amazon. I didn't get mine that cheap, maybe another twenty bucks or so. Plus I got free shipping. Got the same kind of deal on my Delta jointer from Amazon.

Tim

John Shuk
05-12-2006, 3:23 PM
I have the Delta too. Very happy with it. I bought it on UBID.COm a couple years ago for about $180 with shipping. Refurbished I couldn't tell the difference. Unfortunately they don't often have them.

Jerry Bittner
05-12-2006, 3:48 PM
Have had the DeWalt 735 well over a year now and owned the previous model before latching onto this.

Smooth cutting and I don't even bother using the slower speed. As reported, it has a great dust collection system. The dust ejector is simply powerful.

Don't have any experience with the Delta but judging from their other products, no doubt it's a good machine.

With the 10% off coupon and a gift card offer, I got a great deal at the Home Depot.

One other factor, I've always had good luck with DeWalt's technical help and their custome service.

Kelly Anderson
05-12-2006, 7:57 PM
DeWalt. I have had mine for just over 2 years and it is great, no problems, great finish fast or slow speed.

Ken Shoemaker
05-12-2006, 8:08 PM
Delta - I've had mine over a year and I feel it's the best value in the shop. Glass smooth with just one pass.... Love it

Greg Koch
05-12-2006, 8:30 PM
I got the Makita a few weeks ago and have run some T&G cedar, some painted, and it worked very smooth.

Bruce Benjamin
05-12-2006, 8:40 PM
Woodsmith or Worbench mag, I believe, recently did a review of planers in this catagory. The 735 was praised as with the optional dust hood there was excellent dust control. They did dog theplaner however for having 'optional' infeed/outfeed tables (they felt these were absolutely required) and dust hood.

I don't remember the exact article but if I understand you correctly
you're saying that the Dewalt requires an optional dust hood. This
isn't correct. The only thing that's optional regarding DC with the
Dewalt 735 is a dust hood for ejecting the chips into a garbage can.
Otherwise they come with everything you need except the dust
collector and hose. I've had one for a few years and it even came
with a chip ejector manifold or whatever that you would use if you
didn't mind the chips just shooting out of the port. I've never used
it. For quite a while I used it with just a shop vac and combined with
the internal blower there was almost zero dust and chips that didn't
make it into the shop vac. Now with a dust collector I can plane
quite a few BF of lumber and only have maybe a teaspoon of chips
that escape the DC.

The performance is amazing and while I do occasionally get some
snipe it's so slight that I really have to look to find it. And as I said,
it's rare. I don't have the optional extension tables but instead I
built a rolling stand with drawers and a folding infeed and outfeed
table. With the exception of maybe needing more width, I can't
really see myself ever wanting a more heavy duty planer. Oh, and
I'm *still* using the first side of the first set of blades that came
with it. There might be a slight bit more tear out on difficult grain
sometimes but just barely. Buy the Dewalt, even one of the
refurbished ones. You won't regret it.

Bruce

Joe Mioux
05-12-2006, 11:36 PM
Another vote for the Delta. I really like mine. With that said, I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Joe

Al Willits
05-13-2006, 10:18 PM
Well I had been looking at the Rigid plainer, but am wondering now.
Any thoughts on how the Rigid comapres to these two?

Al

Alan Tolchinsky
05-13-2006, 10:31 PM
No personal experience here but most seem to like their Ridgid planers. I can't remember anybody saying anything bad about it. Now it's time for those with better memories to chime in. :)

chester stidham
05-14-2006, 2:50 AM
There is one more lunch box planer that you should look at the Mekita 2012 it's theonly small planer that I haven't herd bad thigs about and mine is a real work horse just thought you should know.:cool:

James Suzda
05-14-2006, 7:01 AM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned so far is changing knives. One thing that I like about my DeWalt 735 is how easy and quick it is to change them or flip them over. (I only wish they could be resharpened.)
I've never used the Delta, but I like the 735.
Jim