PDA

View Full Version : Neighborhood Creatures

Joe Pelonio
05-12-2006, 8:21 AM
Strange things going on lately. After seeing coyotes in the neighborhood lately coming into work at 4:30am, last night I noticed "bits" of a squirrel onthe side yard lawn. When I went to feed the pond goldfish, there were only 3 visible, there were at least a dozen last weekend. Some could have been hiding since I put things on the bottom for that purpose since the last racoon attack. On Tuesday the elementary school 2 blocks form the house (where my wife works) has forbidden the kids from going outside at recess/lunch until the state can catch a black bear seen in the woods next to the school. Then Wed. a guy just down the hill from there saw one (could be the same bear) peeking at him through his kitchen window.

http://www.kingcountyjournal.com/sited/story/html/257115

http://members.aol.com/bisjoe/1601.jpg</IMG>

Mark Pruitt
05-12-2006, 8:31 AM
kinda puts my ongoing battle with deer in the neighborhood in perspective......I think I'd rather have deer than bears and wolves.....I don't think there's such a thing as "Bear Off".:(

Andy Hoyt
05-12-2006, 8:45 AM
A truly magnificant creature.

Glad the shooter only had a camera.

Mark Rios
05-12-2006, 9:35 AM
kinda puts my ongoing battle with deer in the neighborhood in perspective......I think I'd rather have deer than bears and wolves.....I don't think there's such a thing as "Bear Off".:(

Sure there is Mark; we just know it by different names.........Remington, Smith and Wesson, Colt, among others. :D :D :D

(No offense Andy :D )

Ken Fitzgerald
05-12-2006, 9:47 AM
We've had white tail and mule deer, elk, moose, mountain lion and yes, black bear wandering around here in town. The black bear was within 1/2 mile of our house in an area where some doctors had built houses. Local law enforcement and fish and game agents just followed it as it skirted the houses, airport and left the area.

On several occasions while hunting, I've crossed my old tracks in the snow and found bear tracks over the top of my tracks. I then followed the bear tracks. It was just inquisitive; followed my tracks for some distance and then wandered off. I was a smoker then......it probably wondered where the mobile forest fire was going...........

Jim Becker
05-12-2006, 3:19 PM
Bears are becoming an increasing problem in suburban areas...there was an incident in New Jersey this week unfortunately resulting in the animal being destroyed when it "didn't cooperate" as they tried to dart it for moving to the wilderness somewhere else.

Joe Pelonio
05-12-2006, 3:29 PM
Bears are becoming an increasing problem in suburban areas...there was an incident in New Jersey this week unfortunately resulting in the animal being destroyed when it "didn't cooperate" as they tried to dart it for moving to the wilderness somewhere else.
Yeh, it's a shame, when we clearcut and bulldoze their homes to build tracts of houses, scare them away and later they come back. This is an area near a big lake and they probably hang around for the water. Later in the summer the woodsy areas are full of wild blackberries, so there may be more around. I hope they can be captured and relocated safely.

Alain Tellier
05-12-2006, 3:56 PM

My thoughts exactly.

I had the pleasure ( yes the pleasure ) of crossing path with one a couple of years back on a canoe trip up north in the Laurentians.

I was carrying my canoe up a trail to an adjacent lake when I stumble upon a medium size black bear sunbathing in an opening in the forest. While I certainly was glad to be wearing BROWN pants... it was as surprised as I was to come across someone else. We examined each other for about 10 long seconds, me, ready to throw a 50 pounds canoe with olympian fashion, it, wondering why in the world would a bear dress with a blue parka and a 12 foot wide hat... It ran away into the woods ( probably thinking I was one of those crazy Kodiaks he read about in National Geographics ) and I, well I stood there for a while wondering if I needed a change of pants...

Bob Weisner
05-12-2006, 4:38 PM
Bear hunting season is only 6 months away!:D :D :D

Tim Solley
05-12-2006, 5:40 PM
Last summer my wife and I spent a week in Sequoia National Park. As we were on a hiking trail, we came around a corner and almost tripped on an adolescent black bear. He didn't pay much attention to us, we just backed off and sat on a rock and took pictures for a bit until he walked a few feet off the trail and laid down for a nap. It's a truly amazing experience to see these creatures in person.

The previous trip to Sequoia wasn't so magical. My girlfriend at the time left the bear box open, and a bear stole our cooler. I watched helplessly as he skillfully opened and consumed my pudding cups :(.

Tim

rick fulton
05-13-2006, 2:23 AM
Joe -
The following photo was posted a few years ago on one of the ww forums (maybe this one). Moving out of the city does not guarantee you wont run into a neighborhood bully. Although, I think these guys would rather have your lunch than your lunch money.

Curt Fuller
05-13-2006, 3:26 PM

That's a great photo too!