PDA

View Full Version : workbench skirt

David Mueller
05-12-2006, 1:38 AM
I'm building a work bench with a pre-made slab top. If the top is about 3" thick, I see no reason to skirt it. Any comments from the experts. I plan a Tucker pattern vise on front and a veritas twin on the end.

Alan Turner
05-12-2006, 5:32 AM
I don't use a skirt on benches I have built becuase they make clamping more difficult. But, if you are adding a row of squared up dog holes, then you might want to add a precut skirt just for the holes, but at the same thickness as the bench top. 3" is plent thick, IMHO, for a bench.

Frank Pellow
05-12-2006, 7:36 AM
I would not put a skirt on it. Lee Valley does not put a skirt on their Veritas bench and it is only 2 inch thick, not 3 like yours.

Rick Schubert
05-12-2006, 8:04 AM
David,

If you purchased your top, can I ask where? I am interested in a thicker top than I see most selling.

Thanks, Rick

David Mueller
05-12-2006, 8:50 AM
David,
If you purchased your top, can I ask where? I am interested in a thicker top than I see most selling.
Thanks, Rick Rick,
I went, or more correctly will be placing my order today with perfect plank out of CA. On the web site they have charts for the maple which only show 1 3/8 and 1 7/8 but, under the chart they show custom sizes of 2 3/8 for $21/sq ft and 2 7/8 for $25/ sq ft. So my 60 x 25 x 2 7/8 top prices out at $260 plus shipping which is steep but almost = to the LV top $316+$52 S&H(60 x 24 x 2 3/4). I bought a set of LV cast iron bench legs to provide an interesting old time look to the shop. I expect the whole bench to tip the scales around 300# when done. Good snd heavy duty.