PDA

View Full Version : OK, So I've Been MIA AGAIN!

Bill Arnold
05-12-2006, 12:00 AM
At the meeting of our local woodworking club tonight, I was reminded by a fellow member of SMC that I haven't been very active lately. Truth is, I've been downright out of action. After a couple of years of talking about a move, LOML and I are taking the plunge! We're buying a place in Thomasville, Georgia to have a little space. We should be starting to transition there early in July, but we're already starting to pack a few things and prepare for the move.

This may seem like a sudden change, but once you hear the story behind the transition, you'll understand. I'm not sure how to relate the events, so I'll probably ramble a bit (or more). LOML and I were considering a couple of alternatives for moving from Florida either to the Carolinas, or maybe back to Texas or ??? She suggested looking at southern Georgia; still in a temperate area, but not TOO close to the kids who might decide to move back home??????

Anyway, she suggested that I make a trek to Thomasville to check out the area after we had looked at some real estate offerings online. Her work schedule doesn't have as much flexiblity as my 'retirement' schedule (according to her -- and who am I to question the boss?).

I checked out some of the offerings -- yeah, a lot of marketing hype -- and was really disappointed. BUT! While I was there, the agency with which I was dealing had a new contract in the works! Call it devine intervention or whatever suits your beliefs, the rest of the story is, well, true!!!

Since I had some time on my hands, I drove around the area to see what the different neighborhoods had to offer. I went past a couple of listings that left me kinda lacking, but I kept driving around for lack of anything else to do but go to a local pub and get blasted! As I drove around the area, I thought, "ya know, if had this one or that one, it would be just right". I went down one cul-de-sac and saw the "perfect" place, drooled a few minutes and went back to the hotel and had dinner.

The next morning, I met my agent shortly before 8am to go for a showing of the new listing they signed the day before. She took me directly to the house on the cul-de-sac I had passed the evening before!!! The house itself had all the features we were looking for, plus there is the shop building already in place! Call it devine intervention or whatever your individual belief mechanism is, I was in the right place at the right time. Before they had time to send their maintenance guy out to place a 'For Sale' sign in front of the property, we had a firm contract!

I've got a lot of work ahead of me to get everything like we want it, but it will truly be a labor of love. If you'd like to take a look at a few photos of our place, here it is: http://bbarnold.com/101pics.html

Regards,

Jerry Olexa
05-12-2006, 12:08 AM
Congrats, Bill! Glad things are working out for you...Sounds great...

Allen Bookout
05-12-2006, 12:49 AM
Bill,

I am from Texas originally myself (northwest of Amarillo about 80 miles) and have lived in Punta Gorda Isles, Fl for about sixteen years now. Sometimes I think that it would be nice to look around somewhere else so that I could have a "real" shop but just cannot seem to make myself seriously want to move out of the area, even after going through Hurricane Charlie.

I know that you are going to be happy with the extra room and the seperate shop. What a luxury!

There are toradoes up there so be careful.

Have a good move. Allen

Corey Hallagan
05-12-2006, 1:00 AM
Very nice Bill, good luck with the move!

Corey

Karl Laustrup
05-12-2006, 6:25 AM
Good to hear from you again Bill.

Keep us updated on your move. The new digs look very nice indeed. Looks like you'll have enough to keep you busy for awhile.

Karl

Doyle Alley
05-12-2006, 8:16 AM
I wish I had been comming to the meetings all along so that I could have gotten to know you. I'll drop you an email and do a data dump on what T'ville knowledge I have. In the meantime, hopefully Ken Wright will chime in and introduce himself. I'm sure he'll be a wealth of information for you.

Tyler Howell
05-12-2006, 8:24 AM
Enough of the house already. Let's see more of the shop.
Size, power, storage.
You know the important stuff.;)
Nice Gloat Bill:cool:

Jim Becker
05-12-2006, 8:44 AM
AH...that sounds like a plan with the right priorities...cul de sac for no traffic and a shop building. Everything else is icing on the cake! Congratulations!

Bill Arnold
05-13-2006, 8:02 AM
Bill,

I am from Texas originally myself (northwest of Amarillo about 80 miles) and have lived in Punta Gorda Isles, Fl for about sixteen years now. Sometimes I think that it would be nice to look around somewhere else so that I could have a "real" shop but just cannot seem to make myself seriously want to move out of the area, even after going through Hurricane Charlie.

I know that you are going to be happy with the extra room and the seperate shop. What a luxury!

There are toradoes up there so be careful.

Have a good move. Allen
Several people have asked why we want to leave "paradise". :confused: We've enjoyed our years in Florida, but it gets more crowded each year. Plus, the tax and insurance costs are going to continue to spiral out of control. Aside from a group of good friends, we have no ties to the state, so we're "getting out of Dodge" while we're young enough to handle the transition.:D

Bill Arnold
05-13-2006, 8:17 AM
Enough of the house already. Let's see more of the shop.
Size, power, storage.
You know the important stuff.;)
Nice Gloat Bill:cool:
Yeah, yeah! There ya go already with your picture thing!!! :rolleyes:

When I get started on the shop expansion, I'll be sure to take plenty of before and after photos. Actually, if I did nothing to the shop building it would give me about the same space I have in our two car garage. Since the property has plenty of room, I want to double the lower level of the shop so I can really spread out. :D

To pacify you just a little,:) below are a photo of the existing shop building, an elevation drawing of the expansion and a tentative floor plan. I'm open to suggestion on the floor plan, of course. What I've got laid out so far seems to work, but then I'm tripping over stuff yet! :o

The major thing my wife likes about the move is that she'll have a garage that she can actually park in again!!!

John Miliunas
05-13-2006, 8:18 AM
Looks like a great score, Bill! :) What's the sq. footage of the shop as it stands? But, you never did mention as to where the pool is going! :D :cool:

Jim Becker
05-13-2006, 10:35 AM
Bill...I'm nearly laughing on the floor at the "depth" of shop your plans so soon after making the decision to move! (I kinda did the same thing relative to our upcoming home addition... ;) ) As I was gazing at the elevation and future floor plan, it occurred to me that it would be "really nice" if you could put in a beam of some kind to eliminate a good part of the wall between the original building and the new addition. It would give you a lot more flexibility in your shop layout and better work flow.

Tony Falotico
05-13-2006, 2:08 PM
Several people have asked why we want to leave "paradise". :confused:

"Paradise" appears in multiple forms, to each his own, but in my opinion you are moving TO paradise, not from it :) ........ Extreme North Florida / South Georgia is some beautiful territory, lots of it still untouched, still get the year round warmth but it does get cold enough in the winter for SHORT PERIODS of time to burn that fireplace.

IMHO, GOOD move Bill, I know you'll enjoy it. When you get settled there's a great hardwood lumber place in Blountstown FL, probably you'll be closer to it than me....... Great selection, reasonably priced, wonderful folks to deal with.

Good luck on your move, let me know if you need anything.......

Rich Konopka
05-13-2006, 3:08 PM
Bill,

I wish you the best of luck with your move. My sister left Lakewood Ranch for many of the same reasons. We were in Sarasota last month and drove through LR and I was blown away at how built up it was and the traffic on 75 :eek:

I don't blame you for getting out of Dodge. Good luck with the move.

Bill Arnold
05-14-2006, 10:03 AM
Bill...I'm nearly laughing on the floor at the "depth" of shop your plans so soon after making the decision to move! (I kinda did the same thing relative to our upcoming home addition... ;) ) As I was gazing at the elevation and future floor plan, it occurred to me that it would be "really nice" if you could put in a beam of some kind to eliminate a good part of the wall between the original building and the new addition. It would give you a lot more flexibility in your shop layout and better work flow.Jim,

When I meet with the contractor later this month, I'll discuss the beam approach with him. The layout I've got so far will work for everything I normally do, but having a totally open area would certainly have its advantages.

Regards,

Bill Arnold
05-14-2006, 10:07 AM
Looks like a great score, Bill! :) What's the sq. footage of the shop as it stands? But, you never did mention as to where the pool is going! :D :cool:John,

The lower level is about 350 sq.ft. now; the upper level is reduced a bit by the stairway opening. By adding the extension, I'll have about 1020 sq.ft. overall. Not a major shop by any means, but a heck of a lot more than I have now!

Pool? No pool is planned, just a nice cozy hot tub! :D

Regards,

Bill Arnold
05-14-2006, 10:14 AM
"Paradise" appears in multiple forms, to each his own, but in my opinion you are moving TO paradise, not from it :) ........ Extreme North Florida / South Georgia is some beautiful territory, lots of it still untouched, still get the year round warmth but it does get cold enough in the winter for SHORT PERIODS of time to burn that fireplace.

IMHO, GOOD move Bill, I know you'll enjoy it. When you get settled there's a great hardwood lumber place in Blountstown FL, probably you'll be closer to it than me....... Great selection, reasonably priced, wonderful folks to deal with.

Good luck on your move, let me know if you need anything.......Tony,

Paradise is anywhere LOML and I happen to be at any moment in time. We'll make our own Paradise, Garden of Eden, whatever....:)

Fireplace? Heck down here we've been using a chiminea on the deck by the pool in the middle of July to set the right ambiance! :D

Thanks for the lead on a hardwood supplier. Looks like it's about 85 miles from us by the backroads, so I'd have to pack a lunch -- might be worth the trek.

Regards,

Jim Becker
05-14-2006, 10:15 AM
When I meet with the contractor later this month, I'll discuss the beam approach with him. The layout I've got so far will work for everything I normally do, but having a totally open area would certainly have its advantages.

Yes, do discuss it. It will add some cost, but it may be very worth the investment in the long term if you can swing it.

Tony Falotico
05-14-2006, 12:17 PM
Paradise is anywhere LOML and I happen to be at any moment in time. We'll make our own Paradise, Garden of Eden, whatever....:)

I like your attitude my friend..........

Looks like it's about 85 miles from us by the backroads, so I'd have to pack a lunch -- might be worth the trek.

It's about 150 miles one way for me, I'm sure you'll find it a worthwhile trip ......... It's called Redwood Bay Lumber, (850) 674-8464 . Tell him what you want, he'll pull the stack to the middle of the floor and let you sort thru it for as long as you want........... He'll even run a few pieces you select thru the planer so you can see and match the grain.

No personal affiliation, just a very happy customer :)

Marty Walsh
05-14-2006, 1:44 PM
Tony,

Fireplace? Heck down here we've been using a chiminea on the deck by the pool in the middle of July to set the right ambiance! :D

Thanks for the lead on a hardwood supplier. Looks like it's about 85 miles from us by the backroads, so I'd have to pack a lunch -- might be worth the trek.

Regards,

Bill,

LOML and I recently made a very similar decision to yours. We threw in the towel on the hussle and bussle of the Northern Virginia suburbs and made the move to a small town in southern Georgia. Talk about paradise!
We were driving home from a fishing trip on one of the local rivers yesterday and we both commented "Wow, three cars in a row..". Now THAT'S traffic we can deal with! We both smiled and agreed we made the right move!

Oh, and make sure you bring that Chimnea with you. We've been using ours almost every night since we got here. It's a 'chilly' 60 here at night now. Just right for the warm glow of the fire...:D

Welcome to Georgia...

- Marty -

Bill Arnold
05-14-2006, 8:31 PM
Bill,

LOML and I recently made a very similar decision to yours. We threw in the towel on the hussle and bussle of the Northern Virginia suburbs and made the move to a small town in southern Georgia. Talk about paradise!
We were driving home from a fishing trip on one of the local rivers yesterday and we both commented "Wow, three cars in a row..". Now THAT'S traffic we can deal with! We both smiled and agreed we made the right move!

Oh, and make sure you bring that Chimnea with you. We've been using ours almost every night since we got here. It's a 'chilly' 60 here at night now. Just right for the warm glow of the fire...:D

Welcome to Georgia...

- Marty -Marty,

Not to rain on your parade, but Metter is STILL half way to Yankee land! :D If Metter is "Southern Georgia', then Thomasville must be "Key West Georgia"! :confused: :eek: :p

And, yes -- the chiminea is moving with us. After we get a few dozen other projects out of the way, I'll build a gazebo for a hot tub and put the chiminea beside it for additional "ambiance"! :D :D :D

Graciously,