PDA

View Full Version : Trying to make dovetails on a Jointech

Lewis Perry
05-11-2006, 10:40 PM
I've had the jointech system---smart fence- clincher-all the templates for a few years--finally decided to try my luck at some dovetail drawers for a curly maple sideboard I'm building. I think my brain is about to overload with trying to read all the instructions and translate that to the router table etc. Its making the Akeda that I saw demonstrated last Saturday look better all the time. Am I the only one who has this jointech system and am too dumb to use it? Understand I'm 67 years old--been doing some woodworking for a long time but had never tried dovetail joinery until now.

Sam Chambers
05-11-2006, 11:11 PM
Lewis:

Keep at it. I went through the same learning curve with the Jointech system last summer. The best thing to do is get some scrap stock and practice, practice, practice. Probably the toughest thing is setting the bit height. If it's not perfect, the joint will be too tight or too loose.

If your Cabinetmaker's System didn't come with a demonstration/instructional video, it would be a good idea to order one. The one I have was very informative and helpful.

One thing I found out is that the "automatic" centering system doesn't work very well - certainly not as well as the rest of their system.

Norman Hitt
05-12-2006, 4:35 AM
I've had the jointech system---smart fence- Am I the only one who has this jointech system and am too dumb to use it? Understand I'm 67 years old--been doing some woodworking for a long time but had never tried dovetail joinery until now.

Lewis, I think it may be that )^&# number "67" you mentioned.:rolleyes: I'm 2/3 through that same number, and nothing seems as simple as it used to, and from all the STUPID mistakes I've been making lately, I'm only hoping that "67" is only a stage, and that it will pass, like when a kid grows out of the "TERRIBLE THREES".:D Hang in there, I'm bettin' you'll get the hang of it yet.;) :D

JayStPeter
05-12-2006, 9:24 AM
It definitely helps to have someone show you how it works, then use the manual for a reminder of the details.
The video from Jointech might help. If you have a local Woodcraft, some of them have Incra jig classes. The Incra and Jointech are close enough that learning the Incra will directly apply. The Jointech is actually a little simpler :eek: .
You also may want to try a box joint first, then move on to dovetails.
In addition to the pointers that Sam gave about bit height and the "auto centering" issue, make sure you ensure everything is square (fence-to-table/insert, fence-to-sled, sled-to-table). I use pieces of tape to shim everthing exact. It's real frustrating when you do everything right and the joints still don't fit because your setup is out (DAMHIKT).

Jay

Jim VanBramer
05-12-2006, 12:42 PM
Also make sure you're using one of the bits designed for the system. The first time I tried mine I just grabbed a bit from Rockler that I had laying around ... BIG MISTAKE!!!:eek: No matter how hard I tried I could never get it to work! Switched to the right one and the results were amazing (not without a little tweaking here and there, of course). Once you get it figured out you're gonna love it!

Jim V