PDA

View Full Version : Hand Tool Cabinet PICS

Mark Stutz
05-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Well, it’s finally done! I have often referred to this cabinet in many of my “how to” questions, which all of you more experienced galoots always answered in great detail, and without laughing, at least out loud!

A couple of years ago, I “discovered” Internet woodworking, and discovered that the various forums all had Hand Tool sections. Now I had always known that people collected old planes, but I had NO IDEA that some crazy people actually used them.! About this time I realized my mother had a small bedside table made by a long lost cousin’s great-grandfather, or something like that. I became intrigued when I figured out it was obviously hand made. I decided that I wanted to duplicate that table, and of course it should be made by hand!

So with me teetering on the edge of the slope, I made that first fateful journey to New England and Dave Anderson’s shop. And he promptly pushed me down the slope! I have always blamed him for this addict…errrr, afflictions, and I’m sticking to that story! As I acquired more tools, I built a plane till, but still needed more space. I decided a small wall cabinet behind the workbench would be just the thing for chisels, braces, marking gauges, etc., and since it was for hand tools, it should be by hand. I set about the task of learning the proper skills.

There hasn’t been much come out of my shop the last many months except lots of shavings and practice boards with lots of poor dovetails,tenons, mortices, etc. Fortunately for me, this is all about the journey, not necessarily the destination, or how long it takes, and frankly, the journey is just as much fun

The cabinet is mahogany. Everything was done by hand, starting with rough lumber. I had never used a scrub plane or jointer plane before I started this project. I had never ripped a board by hand. I learned how to thickness a board, and get the second one to match. I learned how to plane a square edge. I made a bench hook and shooting board and learned how to use them. My definition of sharp changed several times as my skills got better, and I suspect will continue to change. I did not get around to sharpening a saw, since Mike W does such a great job. I really never knew how to read wood grain before. A hand plane teaches you that very quickly! I learned that I need a new bench, too!

This was a great learning experience and I would encourage everyone starting out with hand tools to try it. I would suggest a little less ambitious project, though. Maybe a dovetailed box for that #45 or #55. More than once the project stalled due to frustration, and I took more time to practice or learn a new skill, but in the end I accomplished my goal Now you won’t see my TS, BS, and jointer listed for sale, since I really don’t care if I rip anything longer than a foot in the future, but future projects will definitely be more hand oriented, and undoubtedly become faster as well.

Project details…mahogany, finished with garnet shellac and wax. I still have to make the plugs to cover the screw heads at the top of the cabinet, and turn some pulls. I have some nice scraps of African Blackwood that will do nicely. I'm posting this now, though, since I don't have a treadle lathe, and wanted to say I did it all without electrons!:D ;)

Martin Shupe
05-11-2006, 10:34 PM
Wow! All by hand? Very impressive, Mark! Nice job.

Mark Singer
05-11-2006, 10:41 PM
Mark,
A beautifully written description of your hand tool adventures! A result well worthy of the voyage! For those of us that love hand tools,we know just what you are feeling.... Beautiful...inspirational....Dave is to blame...or to thank... You should thank him! Great work! Nice simple design too!

Mike Wenzloff
05-11-2006, 10:53 PM
I couldn't say it better than has been said, Mark. Well done!

Take care, Mike
who is still using his very first wall tool cabinet--in shame <g>...

Steve Wargo
05-11-2006, 11:00 PM
Mark,
That turned out excellent. I got to see it when it was in it's building stages. You did a great job. I really like the long slender doors.

Joe Mioux
05-11-2006, 11:13 PM
Mark:
What it's not going to hold golf balls?:)

This cabinet is superb! Congratulations on a very successful project.

Joe

Jerry Olexa
05-12-2006, 12:06 AM
Mark Very nice work and esp all by hand tools!! Nicely done!!

Dan Forman
05-12-2006, 2:38 AM
Mark---Wonderful project and write-up.

Dan

Maurice Metzger
05-12-2006, 2:58 AM
Mark, that's a lovely cabinet. Thanks for the writeup and construction pictures along the way.

Maurice

Alan DuBoff
05-12-2006, 4:27 AM
Mark,

Came out very nice, and a great write-up!

George Sanders
05-12-2006, 6:55 AM
Well done and well written. You are where I am trying to get to.

Roy Wall
05-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Mark -

Ditto on all the above remarks!! Your story says it all - just excellent! It was a pleasure to see the cabinet " in progress" and it is very well made.

Congrats and well done!

Lars Thomas
05-12-2006, 10:36 AM
Mark, Great write-up. Almosted enjoyed it as much as the project itself.

tod evans
05-12-2006, 10:41 AM
nice work mark!

Carl Eyman
05-12-2006, 10:47 AM
Well done! something to be very proud of. That Dave Anderson! Has he no shame? Getting a nice boy like you in trouble!

Lloyd Robins
05-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Beautiful! (What, you don't want to rip long boards by hand!!)

Steve Clardy
05-12-2006, 11:21 AM
Good job Mark!!

Tyler Howell
05-12-2006, 11:22 AM
Well done Mark,
Very fine Job.:cool:

James Mittlefehldt
05-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Nice cabinet Mark really attractive, you will have to post a few pics when it is finished totally and occupied. One minor question, did you draw bore the pegs in the door mortises?

As to your writeup I could not agree more about the journey being as much fun as the destination, I doubt I will ever get to the destination, but I hope to continue the journey for the rest of my life. You always seem to have a knack to ask a question that is buggiung me thus saving me the need to post it. I like this site a lot.

I have to meet that Dave Anderson guy sometime.

harry strasil
05-12-2006, 1:29 PM
Mark, that is one beautiful cabinet and as it was your initial learning project, you slid down the slope with much grace and patience. Congratulations on a job VERY WELL DONE.

Now two questions, is your wife gonna let you put the tools in it, or is she gonna comandeer it.

And two, did you wear period clothing to go with that handlebar mustache.

LOL, I just couldn't resist.

BTW, it looks like you got all the right answers to your questions.

Jim Becker
05-12-2006, 3:05 PM
But Mark.........it's empty!! (Great job!!)

Mark Stutz
05-12-2006, 3:07 PM
[QUOTE=James Mittlefehldt]. One minor question, did you draw bore the pegs in the door mortises?

QUOTE]

James, I started out doing that, but ended up just pinning most of the MT joints while they were clamped. I think it would have worked better if I had chosen 1/4" pegs instead of 1/8" ones. This is a technique I still want to try however, and plan to try on my next project.

Mark

Mark Stutz
05-12-2006, 3:11 PM
Harry,
Fortunately for those around me, I did not wear period clothing:( :D Don't tell anyone, but I did use electric lights instead of kerosene!:eek:

LOML was eyeing it last night. Fortunately it was already on the wall when she stepped into the shop!

Mark

Dave Anderson NH
05-12-2006, 3:40 PM
What, me push someone down the slippery slope? Not a chance. I'm just the conductor on the vertical railway.:D

Great job Mark. It will no doubt be too small very shortly though. I would advise thinking long and hard about how you want to arrange things and even do a paper plan of the layout before proceeding to make the hangers and other interior fixtures. Unfortunately no matter what you do, hindsight will always be 20/20 and down the road you'll think of a better way. Such is life.

I would have to say that you have come a long way in a very short time. Excellant job out of one of my favorite woods.

Mark Stutz
05-12-2006, 4:04 PM
Dave,
It was too small even before I started, but I'm somewhat limited by space. Chisel racks on the doors are the easy part. I've started making full size drawings, and laying tools out on the bench to get some idea of arrangement.
Thanks for the kind words.

Mark

Mark Stutz
05-12-2006, 4:13 PM
You are where I am trying to get to.

George,
Thanks. Don't discourage about getting there. This is far from perfect! Remember, I get to choose what to photograph and show!:D The best way, IMO, is to jump right in and do it. Pick a project and force yourself to do it by hand.
I had been trying to incorporate more hand tools into my tailed shop, but wasn't being very successful, primarily because I was more "comfortable" (read:experienced) with tailed tools. By doing this project, I have learned SO MUCH about hand tools and developed the skills, but have also learned things like grain direction,etc. that will hopefully make me a better woodworker, whether using tailed tools or not. I know that now I will be able to incorporate the hand tools into my work more often and with greater skill and precision than I ever would have before. I probably would have gotten to that point sooner or later, but a project like this, for me at least, really acclerated things.

Mark

Tom Hamilton
05-12-2006, 4:22 PM
Mark, it is a beautiful cabinet and an inspirational write-up. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

Enjoy the journey, Tom

Jim Dunn
05-14-2006, 4:07 PM
Real nice cabinet Mark. Very nice indeed!

john mclane
05-14-2006, 9:52 PM
Very nice job. I like the metaphor of the journey;there is always the unexpected turns and decisions to make as we progress and going the way of using hand tools exclusively is somewhere down the road for me.

As Frost stated much more elequontly then me it does make a difference if we choice the one that is less traveled. And one of those difference is the satisfaction it gives us to accomplish something by our own hands and design.

I noticed that you are a oncologist and am sure you take this same level of pride in you work with people and patients as well.

"I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference"

Gary Herrmann
05-14-2006, 10:38 PM
That looks great, Mark. You're motivating me to focus more on hand tools. Very well done.

Mark Stutz
05-14-2006, 11:10 PM
Thanks to all for the kind words. This really was a fun journey, and one that will continue in one form or another. I really want to encourage all of you who are thinking about using hand tools more...JUST DO IT. I had no experience prior to this. I really think you will be pleasantly surprised. I really believe that this is a really good way to incorporate hand tools into the tailed shop. If you have even some experience and comfort level, you will think about that option as you problem solve during a project. I know I reach for a chisel or block plane much more now than I ever did before. I was always skeptical to hear someone say (or post;) ) that a particular task was faster and easier by hand, but now I would have to agree.

Thansk for letting me share.

Mark