PDA

View Full Version : Sweetgum Bowl

Christopher K. Hartley
05-11-2006, 10:17 PM
I just finished for the evening but still have a little work to do on this one. It is 7 3/4" X 4" I need some constructive coaching on this one. If you can help I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks

Corey Hallagan
05-11-2006, 10:22 PM
I can't help you Chris, but just wanted to say, that is a sweet piece of wood. The white part almost looks like a stone or bone. Very nice!

Corey

Ernie Nyvall
05-11-2006, 10:31 PM
Looks good to me Christopher. As far as the marks, are they in the wood?

Ernie

Christopher K. Hartley
05-11-2006, 10:36 PM
Looks good to me Christopher. As far as the marks, are they in the wood?

Ernie

They seem to be but I can't tell for sure. They do not seem to be cuts though.

Mark Cothren
05-11-2006, 10:45 PM
The only "marks" I see look like growth rings... it looks great to me, Chris. I like that round/beaded rim... very nice.

EDIT:

NOW I look at the third pic, Chris...:) I'm no help on those marks... do they have texture to them, or just stain/marks in the wood?

Christopher K. Hartley
05-11-2006, 10:50 PM
I can't help you Chris, but just wanted to say, that is a sweet piece of wood. The white part almost looks like a stone or bone. Very nice!

Corey

What I'm learning about this sweetgum is that the wood given enough care polishes almost like bone or ivory. You almost don't need to put a finish on it. I did though.

Frank Chaffee
05-11-2006, 11:25 PM
Christopher,
Both the form of the bowl and the wood grain exposed by your turning is wonderful.

“Can’t figure out these marks on the lip.
Anyone have any ideas?”
Not being a turner, but being a connoisseur of turned objects, I see the chatter marks (?), on the inner side of the bowl’s rim as a serendipitous event; certainly not a defect.

While I’m sure you will learn to control this effect, it is most welcome in this piece.

Frank

John Hart
05-12-2006, 5:32 AM
Chris...I don't know what your marks are...maybe the result of dark sandpaper? Dunno. But I like the bowl and that wood reminds me of some rocks I found in southern Missouri....a very light colored Chert with swirls of dark. Pretty stuff!:)

Kurt Forbes
05-12-2006, 8:37 AM
could they be drying cracks?
I heard sweetgum moves alot.

Mike Ramsey
05-12-2006, 8:53 AM
Looks great! I like the form...cause I've got one just like it
turned from Pecan..just a little different coloring.

Keith Burns
05-12-2006, 4:08 PM
Very nice Christopher. Great form and details !! Keep it up !:)