PDA

View Full Version : Black Cherry HF

Mark Cothren
05-11-2006, 8:37 PM
Black Cherry crotch with multiple piths... about 10-1/2" wide and 6" tall... crack on top is filled with epoxy/charcoal.

I would appreciate feedback/comments on the turning and also on the pic, as this is in a photo booth.

Hard to tell, but the inside edge of the rim is burned...

Here it is when I started...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/CherryCrotchHF01.jpg

Here it is roughed out....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/CherryCrotchHF03.jpg

Here it is finished...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/BlackCherryHF01.jpg

Pete Jordan
05-11-2006, 8:41 PM
I don't know what to say except exceptional!

Frank Chaffee
05-11-2006, 8:48 PM
Fantastic Mark.
Frank

Bernie Weishapl
05-11-2006, 8:58 PM
Beautiful Mark. I like the form and finish.

Corey Hallagan
05-11-2006, 9:06 PM
Wow, that is really cool Mark, beautiful work!

corey

Jim Dunn
05-11-2006, 9:20 PM
Outstanding Mark. Just terrific!

Keith Burns
05-11-2006, 9:27 PM
Exceptional, stunning, wonderful, just not enough words available:) :)

Ken Fitzgerald
05-11-2006, 9:32 PM
Incredible wood...beautiful form and finish! If you decide you don't like it and are throwing it out:confused: ........I'll pm you my home address and pay for the shipping!:eek: :D

Curt Fuller
05-11-2006, 9:49 PM
That's another beauty Mark! Quite a piece of wood you started with and beautiful end result. I really like the charcoal/epoxy idea too. And in my unphotogenic opinion that's a great photo too.

Jim Becker
05-11-2006, 9:50 PM
The orientation of that blank really afforded a very interesting final form, Mark! Nice....

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-11-2006, 10:14 PM
Looks like a winner, to me!

Don't know if you wanted the front shadow or not, but i think it would show better without it.

Hope that's constructive! I DO have to make myself one of those booths, soon.

Bruce

Ernie Nyvall
05-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Gorgeous Mark.

Ernie

Christopher K. Hartley
05-11-2006, 10:34 PM
Mark it's a really nice vase. I do think a different background color would show it off better. Can you tell me, do you hollow with a hollowing tool on this shape or do you use your gouge and scrapers? Thanks,

Mark Cothren
05-11-2006, 10:39 PM
I'm gonna try a black background tomorrow or Saturday - when I take pics again...

I use Scorpion bars on a D-handle captive setup... Travis made the D-handle for me and I built the backrest from plywood using Dennis' as a pattern.

Jim Ketron
05-11-2006, 10:47 PM
Awesome Job Mark!
Beautiful Piece!

Vaughn McMillan
05-11-2006, 10:47 PM
That's awesome work, Mark. Seeing how a piece like this comes from a hunk of wood like that just amazes me.

- Vaughn

Andy Hoyt
05-11-2006, 11:25 PM
Yeah just line me up with them other guys in "sure is nice, I quit" group:D

Dennis Peacock
05-12-2006, 2:02 AM
Very nice Mark!!!!! Simply beautiful. :D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-12-2006, 5:15 AM
Yeah just line me up with them other guys in "sure is nice, I quit" group:D

I guess I need to get in line too....

BTW, your post answered a question about them Mustard lathes, I was wondering what the steel cage thing was all about, now I see it is a face shield storage rack! :D

John Hart
05-12-2006, 5:38 AM
With all that wonderful activity in the grain, I think this form is perfect! Not too little...Not too much. You've really let the wood speak for itself and gave it an elogant platform. I've had great luck with black cherry on a black background.....The lighting seems to get absorbed just right. Nice work Mark!!

Mark Cothren
05-12-2006, 7:29 AM
BTW, your post answered a question about them Mustard lathes, I was wondering what the steel cage thing was all about, now I see it is a face shield storage rack! :D

That's what I keep trying to tell all these other guys, Stu... I would be lost with out my shield/tool/air hose/rag storage rack...;)

John Miliunas
05-12-2006, 7:57 AM
Mr. Cothren, you never fail to amaze me! That's way nice and the orientation truly makes for interesting patterns. As always, your attention to the final form is super. All in all, a fantastic piece!:)

BTW, I have a very similar shield/tool/air hose/rag storage rack on my Vega! :D :cool:

Rich Stewart
05-12-2006, 8:17 AM
Man!! That blank looks like it'd a beat the tar outta me. You gotta spin them fast to lessen the air time? Beautiful form though. Nice job.

Jeff Horton
05-12-2006, 8:54 AM
I would appreciate feedback/comments on the turning and also on the pic, as this is in a photo booth.

I used to do a lot of photography in the past. Never did much still life and that what this really is. But I find the reflections of the lights very distracting from the wood. It washes out the details. Might try a stronger diffuser and/or repositioning the light. Even so it's a good picture.

Mr .05's worth.

Mike Ramsey
05-12-2006, 8:59 AM
Exceptional, stunning, wonderful, just not enough words available:) :)

Other words available, Awesome & Beautiful!....Now for the constructive
critique................................

Tom Jones III
05-12-2006, 9:00 AM
Wow, great work. Thanks for posting all 3 pics as a beginner I often have trouble picturing what to do with a raw log and pictures like yours really help.

Travis Stinson
05-12-2006, 9:05 AM
Super job Mark. How about some shots from different sides? Should be some very interesting grain patterns around it. :cool:

Mark Cothren
05-12-2006, 9:13 AM
I used to do a lot of photography in the past. Never did much still life and that what this really is. But I find the reflections of the lights very distracting from the wood. It washes out the details. Might try a stronger diffuser and/or repositioning the light. Even so it's a good picture.

Mr .05's worth.

Thanks for the feedback Jeff. I'm definitely gonna play around with the photo booth some more.

(I tried to post this earlier but SMC "threw a rod" on me)

Since a few folks have commented on the orientation of the wood I'll add this... I was inspired from the weekend at Travis', watching him turn Katrina II. I started on this one the day after I got back from his place. I also learned something about cutting crotch pieces from Jim Ketron and plan to put what I learned into practice very soon and see what I come up with.

In summary, I learned there is still more than one way to "skin the cat"...:cool:

Pete Jordan
05-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Mark,
Is there a reason that you started the blank that way? I haven't seen it in my books or videos.

Pete

Glenn Hodges
05-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Oh Mark, this is one beautiful HF. I like the way you mounted it on the lathe to get the wood to show off this beauty.