PDA

View Full Version : Martin Shupe - you might enjoy this

Steve Evans
05-11-2006, 7:59 PM
Martin

I thought that you might enjoy the following couple of items. (if you haven't already seen them)

http://www.aviationwiz.net/FDX_25HR_OPS.wmv

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/video-content/current-videos/fedex-thunderstorm-deviations-20060508233.htm

Steve

Martin Shupe
05-11-2006, 10:32 PM
Thanks, Steve.

Yes, I have seen them, but they are quite popular on the web.

The 25 hour ops one is from about two years ago. The "dodging thunderstorms" one is fairly new. I first saw it at recurrent sim training back in January.

As I posted over on another WW website, I have been dodging thunderstorms quite a bit recently. Late April and May are prime times for lots of weather across the country.

I have been commuting to work for 9 years this July. I ride in the "courier compartment", which is a small area between the cockpit and the boxes, that has between 2 and 6 seats, depending on the airplane. Anyway, sometimes the guys from the front will come back after block in and make a joke "welcome St. Louis" after block in. Only a couple weeks ago they weren't kidding. :eek: We held for as long as we could, then had to go to STL for more gas. So we gas and go and by the time we get to MEM, I have missed my trip. First time I have missed a trip/event since I have been with FedEx. Fortunately, we have a "commuter clause" in the contract that basically says that if I miss my trip due to a divert of a FedEx jumpseat, I lose pay, but don't get into trouble. Why am I boring you with this? Because it happens so infrequently. The night that Katrina (downgraded to tropical storm) passed abeam MEM, it was flights ops as usual. Northwest and the other airlines had evacuated their planes from MEM, but there we were, landing in near operationally limited gusty crosswinds, with rain blowing sideways, and when we touched down, the runway lights went out!:eek: After we got slowed down without ending up in the mud, I asked the tower, "Hey, did you know the runway lights are out? Yeah, we just lost power on the field, and it will take a few minutes for the back up generators to kick in. My reply "Well, you might want to let the guys behind me know."

I know the boxes don't always get there on time, but it certainly isn't for lack of trying on the pilot's part.

Jim Becker
05-12-2006, 3:22 PM
The 25 hour ops one is from about two years ago. The "dodging thunderstorms" one is fairly new. I first saw it at recurrent sim training back in January.
Yea, I wonder if you were one of the cargo pilots "dodging thunderstorms" about a month ago when I was on a United flight from DEN to PHL. There were several of you flying the same flag requesting routing leeway (as well as us and everyone else) to get around some very nasty clouds. (channel 9 on the United headphone system has cockpit radio audio...sounds great on the Bose QC-IIs!)

Martin Shupe
05-12-2006, 3:33 PM
Jim,

If the sun was out, it wasn't me! (Unless it was very early in the morning.)

Been flying back and forth to Calgary and New Orleans lately.

The only good part about flying at 0300 is that center will grant you a weather deviation just about where ever you want...because no one else is around to get in your way!

The French Quarter still smells like stale beer, but the Loonie is gaining ground on the dollar...up to .90! Joey Tomato's is starting to look pricey.

Tyler Howell
05-12-2006, 3:38 PM
They showed us the results of a Tandem (air traffic computer) failure after a minor modification and how MEM "went dark".:o
Needless to say a lot of my work these days is Risk Assessment and Risk Mitigation.
Play safe up there.

Steve Evans
05-12-2006, 8:26 PM
Martin

I just got back from three days of eastern seaboard stuff, Newark, DCA and Atlanta. More deviations than there should be at this time of year. Did a Houston turn today, clear sailing all the way. Nice in Houston too. I do the occasional YYC overnight, however haven't been out there for 6 months or so. Have you made it down to Cowboys?

Tyler

I was working in Toronto Air Traffic control in a sector just outside of Toronto one night when the brand new digital radar went down, and whatever was supposed to back it up, didn't. I was just a trainee and got to sit back and watch the show, and quite the show it was. I think the Risk Assessment was a bit lacking.:eek:

Jim Becker
05-12-2006, 10:00 PM
Yea, Martin, it was a few of your "daylighters", not you night-owls. Sorry I didn't get to catch you when I was in Dallas this time around. But I have another trip coming up soon, likely.

Martin Shupe
05-13-2006, 12:53 AM
Steve,

Have not been to Cowboys. I'll have to ask my Captain if he's been there, he has been flying this trip for 5 years, and knows everyone in Calgary, or so it would seem. Are you with Delta? Continental? I have some friends both places. If I asked you before, I am sorry I forgot.

Tyler,

We appreciate your hard work, and MEM ATC does a great job for us, night after night. I know you work behind the scenes, but if the computers aren't working, the controllers can't do their job.

Jim,

I saw your post with Kelly, but I was gone that time anyway. I am going to try to make it to Five Barns, if I can hold the weekend layover in MDT for the correct weekend.

Steve Evans
05-13-2006, 7:24 AM
Martin

Air Canada.

Steve

Dennis Peacock
05-13-2006, 10:58 AM
EXCELLENT read and good info. Nothing like a little Hi-Tech Ant Farm on the screen. :p ;) :D

I LOVE airplanes and I LOVE to ride in planes. Unfortunately, I've never gotten the money to get my license and now later in life, I don't have the health to get my license (heart attack at age 37). But I STILL LOVE Airplanes and flying.

Years ago...I opted for the next best thing.....Radio Controlled Airplanes and I also loved it. However, they're all gone now as I took the money to better ourfit my ww shop.

Martin, I'd almost be willing to trade a whole stack of Walnut lumber for a nice ride in the plane with ya. :cool: :rolleyes: