PDA

View Full Version : Disston #8 halfback saw questions?

Dan Forman
05-11-2006, 7:25 PM
This came to me courtesy of eBay the other day, but it looks a bit different than most others I've seen on the web, which tend to have a sort of rounded hump to the frontend. The blade is just shy of 13", and the catalogs show 14" as the smallest size made. If it was modified at sometime, they did a pretty good job, as the front edge of the blade is as smooth as the rest, and shows a similar patina.

Don't know how well it will cut yet, the set has apparently been completely removed, and it binds almost immediately. There is a slight bend to the blade in front that will have to be flattened out.

Does anyone know if in later years these were made with a squared blade in front? Other pics I have seen also show a brass spine, but this one is steel. Also this handle is more plain than earlier ones, so I'm assuming it's a later model, but before all of the handles went blocky. The medallion, however, appears to be from the 1880's near as I can tell. It doesn't really completely match any on the Disstonian institute site, there being no appostrophy before the last A in PHILDA .

The last pic is of the sawnut heads, which were in this condition before I got it. Any ideas as to how to make these functional again? The handle is slightly loose, but two of the nuts won't go anywhere without further mangling them. Is there a way to deepen the slots without damaging the handle in the effort?

Thanks to anyone who can shine a little light on this saw.

Dan

Ruston Hughes
05-11-2006, 9:14 PM
The catalog shows a brass and not a steel back
http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/backsawpage/cat1918no8.jpg

Given the smooth curve on the front of the back it doesn't seem to me that this saw was fabricated from a typical backsaw, rather it looks like a steel backed version of the saw above with the tip cut off.

I have no real experience with these saws, so I'd put very little value on my opinion :D

Mike Wenzloff
05-11-2006, 9:43 PM
Hi Dan--your #8 HB was most likely cracked at some point and what you have left is a short version <g>.

Nice, though. For the saw bolts, if you can get the heads off, all you need to do is to file or grind a little off the bolts. The wood over time shrinks and if the bolts bottom out like those ones the nuts jam tight.

I would grind a screwdriver thinner to get in the slots, if there is enough of a slot left. Failing that, I use a knife file to deepen them.

Take care, Mike

Dan Forman
05-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. Mike--I may have to file the slots down a bit, as there really isn't much left to grab.

I was just back at the Institute, found something from the 1876 catalog which they call the #8 halfback "Gents saw". It does not specify the brass back, which all of the other catalog listings do, so I think this must be it. They were made in 14, 16, 18, and 20 inch lengths. Mine still has part of the etch visible, which, if it was centered, would mean that this was most likely originally about 18" long. The handle looks correct to the catalog as well. Some of the other saws with the brass backs I have seen pictures of have a fancier lambs tounge.

From The Disstonian Institute----1876 catalog reproduction "Gents half-back bench saw"

From the pattern of the patina relative to the handle and back, I don't think that this saw is a hodgepodge of other saws. The main thing that had me baffled was the steel back, but now I'm satisfied about that. Still would be interested in learning anything more about though.

Dan

Mike Wenzloff
05-11-2006, 10:48 PM
Hi Dan,

The saw bolts date it following that 1876 catalog, I believe. iirc, it was the 1880s sometime when the went to the improved style of bolts like yours has. Also, the blade at the heel seems to indicate a later version.

But your saw looks to be the correct blade, handle and back to be not comprised of parts. You'll know when the handle comes off for sure.

It's a cool saw.

Take care, Mike