PDA

View Full Version : WB Floor Poly vs Std WB Poly

Loren Hedahl
05-11-2006, 5:56 PM
I have used water base poly such as Min Wax Polycrylic with good results. It levels nicely and polishes beautifully, but seems to be somewhat soft for some uses. For example, a finger nail seems to scratch it easily.

I was considering trying one of the various similar products formulated for floors that are available -- but thought someone on this forum might have taken the same route and could compare the two product types.

My application is refinishing pianos. The Polycrylic comes out great, but tends to scratch quickly in the area around the keyboard. I was wondering if one of the floor products might have enough added hardness to make it a better coating for this application?

Jim Becker
05-11-2006, 9:57 PM
Welcome to the 'Creek!

Polyurethane varnish is usually softer than alkyd or phenolic resin varnishes...to give it the abrasion resistance it has. A floor version might be more abrasion resistant if that is the way it's formulated...you'd have to check with the manufacturer. But it may also be "less transparent". If you have "real" spray booth facilities, a pre-cat lacquer might be a better choice, than the "evil poly".... ;) ....and more durable.

David Eisenhauer
05-12-2006, 8:53 AM
Why don't you check with Target Coatings? They apparently have some tough stuff that other luthiers and piano guys use with good results and you can stick with WB if that is what you want.