PDA

View Full Version : leigh dovetail jig D4 or D4R

joe Badoe
05-11-2006, 4:08 PM
I am going to buy either one or the other.

Lee Valley has 3- D4 jigs for $329 or the D4R for $419.

I am leaning toward the D4 for $329 , and use the extra $90 for the bear paw isoloc template.

There are other jigs but I have a Leigh FMT and am very satisfied with it , also have several projects sold already that would pay for the dovetail jig.

Leigh technical support and manual has to be one of the best in the industry.

Al Navas
05-11-2006, 6:00 PM
Joe,

Some would argue about the value-added built into the D4R, such as the one-piece extrusion that has the side stops as an integral part of the jig, and the textured clamp surfaces; the cross cut fence is now plastic on the D4R, instead of 1/4" x 1/4"steel.

I know that some prefer the updated jig. I have the D4, which has done quite well, and will likely wait until the improvements are more radical before purchasing an updated Leigh dovetail jig.

The jig comparison chart can be found at http://www.leighjigs.com/download/Comparison%20Chart-1.pdf .

Al

Patrick Austermann
05-12-2006, 1:58 PM
just FYI - LV had sold out the D4 over a month ago

When I found out I proceeded to buy mine on ebay and got an (almost) unused D4 and the box joint template at a good price

:D

Patrick

Parker Nicholson
05-12-2006, 4:13 PM
I have the D4, (about 3 years now) and bought the isoloc template set of 3 about 2 years ago. Haven't used them YET. The D4R has the fixed stops and machined clamp areas which are a great asset, but I didn't know they cost $90 more. What I'm trying to say is, before you buy those expensive templates, be sure you're going to have a need for them :D . I really should get on the ball and dream up a project for some "bear's ears".

joe Badoe
05-12-2006, 10:20 PM
If I wanted one of the 3 - D4 's Lee Valley was able to get I had to order , so I ordered the D4.

I would be interested in some of the isoloc templates especially the " bear ears " if anyone has or knows someone who would like to sell them.

I build some toy chests for childrens gifts , would like the " bear templates " for the corner joinery.

When I build the toy chests I do not put a finish on them.

That way the children can trace the outlines of their hands and write and date them . they can also write their name and date it.

When they get older put the finish on the toy chest. That way they have some nice mementos when they grew up.

I did this for several of my nieces when they were in kindergarten and now they will graduate from college next year. The toy boxes with all writings and hand outlines and dates is something they told their mothers will take with them .