PDA

View Full Version : Stacking glass to make 3D effect

Mitchell Andrus
05-11-2006, 12:52 PM
I know glass can be etched. I'm wondering if anyone has etched a few plates, then stacked them to create a 3D effect.

ie: Small bushes in the forground, rolling hills and trees in the middle, mountain and sky in the background...

Just wondering.

Jeeez I've got to get me a laser machine --- soon. I'm already having fun and I haven't touched one yet.

Mitch

Michael Wells
05-11-2006, 1:28 PM
Not yet Mitch, But since you posed the idea.... Hehehee I'm sure that I will this afternoon!! I'm not above swiping an idea now and then!

I am thinking that some thick acrylic underlit with different colored lights for each layer, might be pretty interesting too!!
Michael

Barbara Sample
05-11-2006, 1:31 PM
Hey Mike,
If you make one, it sounds cool. Post a photo of it so we can all see it.
I might try one too.
Barb:rolleyes:

Joe Pelonio
05-11-2006, 1:43 PM
Something like it. I had a customer that wanted unique nameplates for office desks. What I did was to engrave the logo on the back of a piece of clear 1/4" acrylic, cut into mountain shape. Then a piece of clear acrylic with the person's name on the back side cut exactly the same but a lower mountain top. That was placed in front of the first piece. For the base I cut a rectangle of the frosted with a rectangle centered just the size of the bottoms of the two pieces to hold it up. Should have taken a picture. It was a nice effect but I would think that 3-4 pieces of clear with a more artistic graphic would be really unusual and cool.

Steven Peters
05-11-2006, 9:42 PM
With a laser engraver you should be able to adjust the depth of the etch to get a decent 3D effect without having to stack multiple pieces, unless you're trying to light them different colors. Here's something that I made 3D, no etching though:

http://xclusivecustoms.net/XC_2006bg01.jpg