PDA

View Full Version : Knockdown Bookcase Finished

Bob Lasley
08-31-2003, 10:30 PM
Here are a few pics of the knockdown bookcase I've been working on for several weeks. It's made of red oak with walnut pins. The finish is BLO topped with Bartley's Gel Varnish.

Bob

Doug Jones
08-31-2003, 11:44 PM
Wow Bob, that is a real smart design. Is it your idea. I also like the two types of wood together. You've done another great job.

Todd Burch
09-01-2003, 12:41 AM
Hey Bob - good job! It's always nice to finish a project. Two questions:

1) How sturdy is it when pushed from the side. I suspect sturdy, but how sturdy?

2) In your opinion, would this type of tusk tenon work well on something like a dining table? (initially and over the years)

Thanks, Todd.

Bob Lasley
09-01-2003, 6:14 AM
Doug,

Yes, it is my design, well, the final design anyway. I'm sure it's based on one or more pieces I've seen somewhere sometime.

Todd,

It is quite sturdy, side to side and with tapered pins and mortises locking it together, I don't think it will loosen up. As for the dining table, I've been kicking around designing a small one, say a 4 person one, for my oldest daughter.

Thanks for the comments,
Bob

Jim DeLaney
09-01-2003, 10:10 AM
...would this type of tusk tenon work well on something like a dining table? (initially and over the years)

Tusk/tenon joinery has been used for dining table stretchers since medievil times. They work very well for that purpose.

<FONT FACE="Comic Sans MS" COLOR="Blue"><Center>********************************

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Jim D.</FONT></Center>

Mike Schwing
09-01-2003, 10:23 AM
Very nice Bob!

Jim Becker
09-01-2003, 10:57 AM
Great job on that one, Bob. Very attractive, functional and a design that will "go anywhere". The contrast between the oak and the walnut is very nice, too.

One question, do you feel that the pinned construction is sufficient to keep the bookcase from racking over time? Many of these units have some form of diagonal support corner to corner to keep it square when in use. Keep an eye on it and if that is needed, you may be able to do something with thin, plastic coated cable secured with thumb-knobs into threaded inserts in the back top and bottom of each of the side pieces. It remains knock down and the diagonal supports are barely visible, especially after the shelves are "stocked".

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-01-2003, 11:14 AM
Nice work Bob! The design is simple, yet fuctional and elegant in a subtle way. The wood contrast was a great choice........it really sets the tenon's off. Another great job! Thanks for sharing the pic's. ;)

Rusty Hughes, Indy
09-01-2003, 12:22 PM
Excellent work, Bob. I like that a lot.

Rusty