PDA

View Full Version : Garage door web site and logo question

Jeff Horton
05-11-2006, 11:14 AM
I have been talking about my woodworking web site forever it seems. Finally took some time to work on it a little bit. This is a link to the pages I did on the garage doors. Still tweaking them but it's close.

http://www.kudzupatch.com/woodshop/gdoors/index.shtml

Now the question. Working on ideas for logos and hit one something I really like. I torn between the two and curious to as which you like best. Just made a poll to make it easy

BTW, they both need a little tweaking in the text so don't get up tight over the spacing. I will work on that.

http://www.kudzupatch.com/woodshop/logo.jpg

http://www.kudzupatch.com/woodshop/logo2.gif

Tim Solley
05-11-2006, 12:36 PM
Jeff,

I like the doors. They look great and I like the garage door opener adaptation.

As for your logos, why not keep both of them in your tool bag? I like the one with the wood grain. However, as a web designer myself, I can tell you that the one with the white background is useful. If you replace the white with a clear background, that logo will sit nicely on top of any background without looking like a big box. It will blend in better. You can do this in most imaging software programs.

So just hold on to both is my vote. They look great.

Tim

Helen Gee
05-11-2006, 12:55 PM
Hey Jeff,

I agree with Tim that the white background will be easier to work with in the website or at least a transparent background. It'll show up better with the contrast, but the grain background looks really nice as well. And it'll be easier to use if you plan to do use it in biz cards, letterhead, envelopes, etc. Are you going to leave them as b/w or color? I think color will give it some more oomph and with the grain background, it'll pop the logo out ;)

Tim Solley
05-11-2006, 1:00 PM
I agree with Helen. You could experiment with using both black and white and color. For example, have the wood grain in BW and the text and picture in color. Or vice versa. Or have just the text in color. Try different combinations and you may find something you really like.

I sometimes do this with photographs. I'm a wannabe photographer too. I took pictures for my brothers wedding, and took a picture of just his wife with a waterfall behind her. I then made the whole background BW and his wife in full color. The result was quite dramatic.

Tim

Art Mulder
05-11-2006, 1:12 PM
This is a link to the pages I did on the garage doors. Still tweaking them but it's close.

Hey, Jeff,

Really nice job on the web page showing the door construction.

one question I have after reading it... There are two warnings about safety and keeping children away from the closing doors. I agree with this.
But tell us -- how does the "auto reverse" feature work on your doors? On my standard overhead door, it reverses if it hits a toy or stick, and it is supposed to reverse when it hits a person also. but on your system, with the doors working differently ... does the autoreverse still function?

...art

tod evans
05-11-2006, 1:17 PM
jeff, years ago a friend in advertising told me that on business cards and letterheads to keep it very simple, no pictures and only necessary information, this is what i do now.

and i like the wooden bench backround of the two you posted...02 tod

Andy Hoyt
05-11-2006, 1:54 PM
Curve ball time.

With a name like Excelsior Woodworks I think that you could have some fun with - wait for it - excelsior. Probably can't buy the stuff anymore, but you could certainly produce a mess of it on the J-line with a skew and a hunk of maple. Then reshoot the photo using the stuff in lieu of the shavings.

To me, the notion of excelsior creates an emotional attachment to an era long gone when personal attention to the details was key. The subliminable use of it here might be a good way to impart that message to your prospective customers.

Jeff Horton
05-11-2006, 8:14 PM
Wow, that was easy. I am surprised at the one sidedness of the vote. But I guess from a bunch of woodworkers I shouldn't be? :)

Tim and Helen, I will keep both logos and probably use them both. Just curious what people liked best. I really like both of them. Just depends on where they are being used.

Tod, I have done letter heads and logo's both ways and I almost always prefer photos or graphics (when properly done) because they stand out to me. For example I notice ads with people in them over ads with just text. But that's just me.

Woodworking is a hobby with me. I don't have any intentions of it ever being a real business. I hope to sell a few bowls and maybe an occasional piece of furniture for someone, but I have no desire to do it for a living. It would take the fun out of it I am afraid.

Andy, I am impressed. ;) Not many folks know what Excelsior is anymore.

To me, the notion of excelsior creates an emotional attachment to an era long gone when personal attention to the details was key. The subliminable use of it here might be a good way to impart that message to your prospective customers.

Me too. Part of why I chose the name. It's the way I want to work, it implies the quality level I want to put into my furniture .... and turnings too. I guess that is why I get so frustrated when something doesn't tun out as good as I want. I know it takes practice and time but.....

BTW been meaning to tell you I like your sig. line. I recognized it as soon as I read it.

Jeff Horton
05-11-2006, 8:19 PM
But tell us -- how does the "auto reverse" feature work on your doors? ... does the autoreverse still function?

Still works and actually works well. Because the doors are so light and there is not real force on them I set can set the sensativaty all the way up. I have stood in front of the doors to see. They will give you a good push but they reverse as soon as they do. Just ask my dogs. :D