PDA

View Full Version : Brushing lacquer

Jay Knoll
05-11-2006, 9:59 AM
Hi everyone

I wanted to try brushing lacquer on my next project (the water-based finish I last used was a total pain to deal with) and I don't have a sprayer.

But, when I ask all the paint stores in town they just get a deer in the headlights look on their face.

Can anyone give me a manufacturer and/or product name? Thanks for the assistance.

Jay

John Miliunas
05-11-2006, 10:27 AM
Jay, Watco has a brush-on lac. However, my experience with it has been: Great for building up a first coat, to get some bulk. Successive coats did not work well for me! :o Lacquer, just like shellac, "burns" into the previous coat. My problem was, I couldn't keep a wet edge long enough before it started to flash off and dry, thus making it real sticky. :mad: In the end, I found it to work OK used as a first, base-building coat, but then, follow that up with sprayed on coats. I've used the stuff in a can with great success. Once done, you'll need to rub it out and polish anyway, so whichever way it gets sprayed on, doesn't seem to make much of a difference. :) :cool:

tod evans
05-11-2006, 10:31 AM
jay, brushing lacquer has never crossed my mind.....just the nature of the product dosen`t lean toward applying with a brush...02 tod

Steve Schoene
05-11-2006, 10:51 AM
In addition to the Watco brand, which is relatively new, the long-time leader in brushing lacquer is Deft.

Jim Becker
05-11-2006, 11:16 AM
Deft is typically a brushing lacquer and is available in woodworking stores as well as other retailers.

Al Navas
05-11-2006, 1:02 PM
Jay,

You may want to look into Target Coatings' OxfordŽ Ultima Brushing Varnish, BVR75000. More information is available at http://www.targetcoatings.com/products/coatings/oxford_ultima.html .

I hope the links I provide above and below are allowed; if they are not, I will be :o red-faced and embarrassed.

I have never used this product, but I was familiar with it as a result of using their sprayable water-borne laquer and shellac.

Target also carries suitable brushes to apply the Ultima Brushing Varnish; info is at: http://www.targetcoatings.com/products/prod_brush.html .

Al

Jay Knoll
05-11-2006, 1:31 PM
Thanks guys

Yeah, I know I'm probably going down a slippery slope with this, but I'm so aggravated with the results of the waterbased brush on finish I used that I'm just trying to find another clear alternative, Don't want to use varnish because of the amber color.

Maybe I should break down and get that HF sprayer!

Jay

Allen Bookout
05-11-2006, 11:05 PM
Hi Jay,

I have been agonizing over a new spray set up myself. I have an aircompressor and two high pressure guns and love the finish that I get using automotive coatings not only for metal but also for wood. The problem is the large amount of overspray that I would like to eliminate so am considering a HVLP gun. My best gun is a DeVilbiss but a bit pricey. My other gun, that worked out much better than I could have expected is a twenty year old Astro, believe it or not. They are not so expensive but what concerns me is that some of the interior parts are out of materials that could possibily rust if used with water based products, but may be not. I think that if you ran some lacquer thinner through it after cleaning it would be OK.

The DeVilbiss is a gravity feed gun and it is OK for vertical surfaces or spraying down on surfaces but not so good for spraying up. Also the gravity guns are a little bulky. The Astro is a siphon gun and I like that set up better than the gravity feed set up because I can spray up and it is not so bulky. I think that the pressure set up would be much better than either the gravity or siphon set ups. Only hoses to manuver around and keep out of your way.

If you have an aircompressor you might be interested in what I am considering. Number one choice for the money would be the Sharpe 1.2 HVLP two liter plus one liter pressure pot set up for $338 (you can get a .08 tip if you need it for stains etc.) or I might go for the "Best Bargin Woodworking" 1.3 HVLP for $175. The best bargin says American Gun but I am pretty sure that it is an Astro. If you are interested here is the web page that I have been looking at.

http://www.spraygunworld.com/Information2/PressureSales/Sales1.htm

I personally think that the extra money would be well spent, especially considering the long run, rather that spending less on the HF sprayer. I know that it seems like a lot to spend on a good gun but when you consider that it is going to last you for years it dosen't feel so bad.

In any case I think that you would extremely happy with a spray rig and would only go back to a brush in a serious emergency.

Good Luck, Allen

Steve Schoene
05-12-2006, 6:59 AM
The brush on alternative that offers the next lightest alternative is superblonde shellac. Shellac also doesn't darken over time like varnish.

Jay Knoll
05-12-2006, 7:39 AM
Thanks Allen that is good information.

I don't know what I"ll do, especially since I'll be closing up the shop and taking off for the summer in a couple of weeks. I've got a cabinet to finish (hopefully) before I take off, maybe I'll do it with some rattle cans and take on the final decision in the fall.

Jay

Lopaka Garcia
05-21-2006, 6:42 AM
Ok this is just an idea putting two and two together. What if you took John M's suggestion of using the brush on lacquer as a base coat to build it up, then use the canned stuff to spray on additional coats? Just a thought, which I might try in the future now that I saw it here.

John Miliunas
05-21-2006, 9:32 AM
Ok this is just an idea putting two and two together. What if you took John M's suggestion of using the brush on lacquer as a base coat to build it up, then use the canned stuff to spray on additional coats? Just a thought, which I might try in the future now that I saw it here.

Funny you should mention that, Lopaka. :D That's exactly the way I did my hall bench project last fall! Brush it on, hit it real lightly with some 400 to take out ridges and dust, tack it and proceed with the rattle cans. In a clean environment, I didn't even bother with any further sanding until the last coat was sprayed. A very, very light hit with dry 400 on my PC Speed Bloc sander, then wet sand with 600 and go on to rubbing it out and wax. Glass smooth finish is the result! :) :cool:

Rob Millard
05-21-2006, 8:12 PM
I have used Deft brushing lacquer for a couple of projects. It is easy to work with but like all lacquers it stinks to high heavens. I found that I could easily brush on multiple coats in one day. You have to sort of flow it on, and avoid the temptation to brush it out like you would with varnish. Also while wet it will look horrible, but as it cures, it will flatten out and look less thick. It was very easy to rub out and the final finish was great. My only complaint (other than the smell) is that it cured somewhat soft; not like sprayed lacquer, but I suppose this has to do with the retarder added to facilitate brushing . If I’m ever in the position to use brushing lacquer again, I’m going to try the Behlen brushing lacquer, as I’m inclined to believe it is a superior product.

Lopaka Garcia
05-21-2006, 8:30 PM
Cool John, now that I know it's a proven technique, I'll definitely give it a try. But I'll have to find another type of wood to work with because I don't think I'll want to use that on Koa.

What kinds of wood do you find lacquer to work best with? When people say "lightly" sand between coats, how much sanding is lightly sanding? I take it to be just taking off the nubs between finish, but with lacquer burning into each coat, is it just a scuff?