PDA

View Full Version : Tree indentification?

Wayne Hribar
08-31-2003, 10:04 PM
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what type of tree this is. It has a huge burl on the side of it. I have never seen a tree like this, and hope someone can help me identify it. It has a huge burl on it, and the tree is soon to fall down....happy turning for me!

Thanks in advance,
Wayne

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-31-2003, 10:18 PM
Wayne, that appears to be either a London Plane Tree, or a Sycamore Tree. The tell tale sign is the Bark, which is mottled in color and sheds profusely. Very messy tree.........they drop leaves and twigs all season long. When the Tree is stressed, it will produce these burl type growths. These growths are fairly common, and Sycamore's are very prone to a disease known as Anthracnose, which amplifies the leaf drop problem. I have never cut into one of these burl type growths on a Sycamore, so I do not know if they are dense enough for turning. If you can get your hands on it, I do know that the wood will be OK for turning.........the burl is another matter. Check it out, you have nothing to lose. Let us know how it turns out. Good Turning! :)

Todd Burch
09-01-2003, 12:34 AM
I vote Sycamore too.

Brad Schafer
09-01-2003, 9:27 AM
I vote Sycamore too.

me 3. we have a gob of these in our woods ... a few of 'em have these. the one i remember wasn't really dense enough to do much with, but you might have better luck.

on a sad note, we had a sycamore that came down in a windstorm a few years ago (late 80s) - it was over 34' around at the base with 3 trunks that were at least 5' diameter, well over 50' long, and solid. i'm not making this up ... it was an absolutely mammoth tree.

worst part was that it came down while i was on the road. my dad & brothers turned it into firewood the week i was gone. :mad: i never even got a chance to try to get pieces out to get milled.

b

Todd Burch
09-01-2003, 2:03 PM
No, I'm not doing what you are thinking - I'm just providing scale for the picture. :eek:

I took this picture in 2002 in Connecticut - around Hartford. This sycamore tree is on some historic or national registrar for it's size or age or something.

As the Latinos around here say - "ees pretty beeg!"