PDA

View Full Version : recommendations for latex paint

larry merlau
05-11-2006, 8:24 AM
what would you folks reccommend for painting a textured ceiling with latex paint,, would an airless do it or am further ahead to use a roller. and if an airless will what brand or model prefered ,thanks for the help.

tod evans
05-11-2006, 8:40 AM
larry, go to your local sherwin-williams they`ll know of painters looking to upgrade their sprayers and unless you plan on squirting several hundred gallons a year used is going to be the best deal...i like graco brand ...02 tod

Cecil Arnold
05-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Larry, I usually agree with Tod, but this time I would say to rent the airless, should cost you under $100 for the day, and a ceiling would take less than a half day (really about 20 min.).

Tom Hamilton
05-11-2006, 10:51 AM
Larry be aware that ceiling paints now come pink in the can and dry white. Makes coverage so much easier.

Let us know how you decide to apply it.

Best, Tom

David Eisenhauer
05-11-2006, 2:10 PM
I have seen instances where rolling on a latex coating on a ceiling covered with the acoustic "bumpies" (forget what it is called) results in the roller pulling off the originally sprayed on ceiling texture. I mean right down to bare sheetrock. This may be due to no primer coat being used on the bare sheetrock or may be due to excessive moisture being present in the attic or who knows what else, but I have definitely seen that happen. Airless was the answer to the problem in both cases. I spray latex with a borg-bought airless (79? 99?) and also add in "Floetrol" to the latex to get good airless results. Best of luck.

Brad Hume
05-12-2006, 10:35 AM
I watched some random show on DIY the other day that covered rolling a textured ceiling. Learned two things:

1) There are special roller covers for this, that are thinly sliced parallel to the direction of travel, to allow them to ride around the big bumps.

2) To keep the "bumpies" from falling off, make a single unidirectional pass over each area. If you miss a spot, get it after the paint has dried. I guess you don't want to touch it after the paint has wetted the texture material.

That being said, unless you have a small ceiling to do, spraying seems like a good choice.

--Brad

larry merlau
05-15-2006, 9:41 AM
well i go tthe ceiling painted, called my suppiler of the sprayer i had and they suggested i not try it becasue of the flatners causing trouble in the nozzel so i ended up doing the old way roller and brush.. but it didnt end well the tape i used to mask it of from the rest of the wall..painters blue tape and old news paper when being removed took some wall paper too:( so now i get hang paper too.. thanks for your suggestions on how to do it if i hadnt had existing carpet and wall covering i would have sprayed it with an air less but the overspray would have made things worse than they are now.

Phil Phelps
05-15-2006, 11:26 AM
well i go tthe ceiling painted, called my suppiler of the sprayer i had and they suggested i not try it becasue of the flatners causing trouble in the nozzel so i ended up doing the old way roller and brush.. but it didnt end well the tape i used to mask it of from the rest of the wall..painters blue tape and old news paper when being removed took some wall paper too:( so now i get hang paper too.. thanks for your suggestions on how to do it if i hadnt had existing carpet and wall covering i would have sprayed it with an air less but the overspray would have made things worse than they are now.
You did the right thing by rolling your celing, but you really have to ge careful with masking anything. And if you use latex paint, it usually bleeds under the tape, especially when brushed or rolled. Funny about the paper though. Most of the time you can't remove it. Rarely do paper hangers use a wall prep, any more, before hanging paper. Good luck.