PDA

View Full Version : Help with Internet Connection

Andy Buckvich
05-11-2006, 7:31 AM
Hello. Not having much time to actually wood work, I live vicariously through these posts. :o There is a wealth of knowledge and talent kept within these pages. Hopefully SWMBO and the 4 kids will allow me to get some projects completed this summer.

Along wth the great wood working advice, I have seen some great computer advise also. I am having an issue with my computer at home. The set up is a RoadRunner cable modem --> Linksys wireless router --wired--> Home computer. Programs that access the internet for updates, such as Norton Antivirus, Spy Bot, Adaware, etc, have no issue connecting and downloading. Outlook even works properly. However, Internet Explorer (V6 and V7) and Firefox will not load webpages. It gives a "Page cannot be displayed" for any page (as if there is not connection). :mad: I also can not get into my router. First thought was something with the router/modem. I know this to be not true, since my laptop connects and works fine, both wireless and wired. :confused: I have also run anti-virus and spy bot/adaware/windows defender multiple times with no luck.

Any thoughts on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank in advance!!

Joe Pelonio
05-11-2006, 7:51 AM
Did you recently add anything? We had a situation where that same thing happened, and when we turned off Norton Firewall it was fine. The problem was a conflict between it and one or more of the many anti-virus and adware programs we were running. We ended up keeping the firewall on but turning off the resident parts of spybot and noadware.

Tim Burke
05-11-2006, 12:27 PM
It sounds like your pc's TCP/IP settings under Network Connections has a problem. If you know how to drill down into these settings, compare your laptop's settings to your pc. From what you said it sounds like your DNS settings are incorrect. The DNS is the function that converts a website name like http://sawmillcreek.org into its real address of http://68.106.156.86/.

To verify, you could enter the numeric address into your web browser and see if you get this site.

Tim