PDA

View Full Version : how to use a chuck, since I got so many pm's

Stephen Hibbs
05-10-2006, 11:49 PM
I got four responses, so I figured it'd be easier and faster to just post this here. Maybe it should be stickied or something. The main idea is for the main part of the wood to be pulled onto the face of the jaws at the farthest end from the threads. If there is a strong dovetail this will be achieved, but the shoulder must be flat and the dovetail can't be as long or longer than the recessed space because that will kill the pulling motion of the dovetail. Sorry for the delayed response, I've been kind of swamped

Corey Hallagan
05-10-2006, 11:59 PM
Thank you for taking the time Chris, I got y ah, now that is a little different than what I was doing. And you are using the Grizzley chuck to? Thanks!

corey

Stephen Hibbs
05-11-2006, 12:08 AM
yup, this is with the $50- grizzly chuck, though the person who taught me showed me on a nova, so it applies for all tapered chucks. The skew chisel is good for the dovetails, at least until I can learn to use it correctly.

Barry Stratton
05-11-2006, 12:55 AM
Thanks Stephen, looks like i'm pretty darn close......

John Hart
05-11-2006, 6:06 AM
Yup...this is pretty much what I do...'cept I'll cut the tenon longer and slightly lesser diameter than the ID of the main part of the jaws so the dovetail does all the work. Good pic Stephen.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Yep, that is what I do too, you beat me too it, I was going to post similar pics.

Cheers!