PDA

View Full Version : Older Grizzly 8" jointer help needed......

Todd Davidson
05-10-2006, 11:32 PM
Howdy ~

Does anybody by chance have an older (80's) Grizzly jointer that has this type of spring assembly on the blade guard? If so, would you please mail me a copy of the manual. The couple people I've spoken to at Grizzly have been unable to help me (and it's not available on-line). I need to order a few parts for my machine and can't do so without knowing the part numbers.

Thank you!

In peace, Todd

Gregg Mason
05-11-2006, 5:28 AM
Todd,

Is that a 1082Z ? If so, I have a manual for it. The only thing is, it's burried in my stoage unit with most everything else from my house, while we're building.

Next trip I make to the storage unit, I'll see if I can locate it.

Gregg

Todd Davidson
05-11-2006, 7:12 AM
Hi Greg ~

I don't know what the model# is, but I didn't think Grizzly had a "Z" series in the 1980's. Probably should've mentioned that I repainted the jointer and that it used to be the color of the blade guard.

In peace, Todd

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-11-2006, 9:20 AM
Years back I had ( still have) a little cast iron jointer with a guard problem like that.

I threw it away. The guard that is, not the tool. I figured the guard wasn't going to do me a bit of good if I were going to conduct with such massively stupididity as to actually need the thing. Apparantly I was correct. It's been over 36 years and none of my tools has ever bit me.
I tossed the guards from all my tools though. They were in the way and served no purpose.

Of course, I came up as a machinist tool maker using all manner of older equipment all day every day the likes of which was monstrously dangerous and never had any guards or safety features so I had all manner of built in mental and physical-habit safety features inside me .
I do think that's made the difference without which tossing the guards might have been the massively stupid thing.

Oh. I submit you don't need the manual. Go to a hardware store and get a spring like the one you have ( had) and install that to control the guard. In the alternate there are a whole universe of Clothspin type springs that will go around that shaft on the knob and even in a hole in the shaft (ya might have to drill it) OR into a hole in the Casting, and have a little bent leg on the other end of the spring that will catch onto the guard ( maybe another drilled hole) and operate the thing quite nicely. You are talking maybe $8.00 tops.

Shiraz Balolia
05-11-2006, 10:26 AM
Hi Greg ~

I don't know what the model# is, but I didn't think Grizzly had a "Z" series in the 1980's. Probably should've mentioned that I repainted the jointer and that it used to be the color of the blade guard.

In peace, Todd

That may be the G1018 jointer.

By the way - DO NOT USE THE MACHINE WITHOUT THE GUARD, PLEASE!

Chet Parks
05-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Howdy ~

Does anybody by chance have an older (80's) Grizzly jointer that has this type of spring assembly on the blade guard? If so, would you please mail me a copy of the manual. The couple people I've spoken to at Grizzly have been unable to help me (and it's not available on-line). I need to order a few parts for my machine and can't do so without knowing the part numbers.

Thank you!

In peace, Todd
Have you checked the Grizzly website? They have all the parts (new and old equipment) and instruction manuals on the site for downloading. I purchased a new 6" jointer from them last year and your spriing looks the same as mine.

Chet Parks

Ian Barley
05-11-2006, 11:08 AM
By the way - DO NOT USE THE MACHINE WITHOUT THE GUARD, PLEASE!
I could not agree more.

Jim Becker
05-11-2006, 11:09 AM
I could not agree more.

Me, three...

Shaun Wilson
05-11-2006, 12:08 PM
Hi Todd,

Here is a parts diagram for the old G1018 jointer, which I think is what you have. PM me your address and I will send you a complete manual. The spring you need is unfortunately no longer in stock. You should be able to match the spring at a local hardware store. Measure the distance between the 2 attachment points, then subtract an inch and use that as a starting length. Count the coils and match the gauge of the wire with the new spring. It does not have to be an exact match, it just needs to be close. It should hold the guard firmly against the fence but move easily out of the way when you push wood against it to make a cut. You should be able to check for any other parts you still need with the part numbers on the list, or at least find out if they are still in stock. We do have a suprising number of parts for the older machines still in stock.

Hope this helps,
Shaun

Dev Emch
05-11-2006, 1:43 PM
I know old american iron is supported by www.owwm.com where you can download pix and manuals and any other dirty paper that has been collected. There are hundreds of PDF files on dirty paper and thousands of photos.

Does anyone know if there is a similar site for imported iron? A site to help others out when doing restoration or going on geotracks to hunt down spares?

Todd Davidson
05-11-2006, 1:57 PM
Hey Now ~

Appreciate all of the offers, suggestions, and concerns. Even though I've been around power tools my entire life I prefer to utilize most of the safety guards and precautions that a tool employs. I've witnessed a few too many accidents.

Shiraz & Shaun ~

Thank you both for your attention to this matter. My previous interactions with your customer service has always gone well, but the efforts put forth to assist me now is far beyond what I expected. I'm looking forward to future purchases and dealings with Grizzly.